Tyre recommendations

General Bike chat
yorkshirepuddin

Tyre recommendations

Post by yorkshirepuddin »

I need some new tyres for the storm, i have found this place;

http://www.thefastone.co.uk/products.asp?cat=117

Has anyone used these or what tyres would suit the storm better?
Beamish

Re: Tyre recommendations

Post by Beamish »

Never used em so cant comment about the site but I always used Bridgestones 021's and before that 014's. The 021's were a lot better for mileage and gave about the same grip in the dry. I have heard good reviews of the Avon Storm's recently. I am sure there is a really comprehensive post on the subject of tyres if you have a dig about.
I see myself as a sensitive intelligent man but with the heart of a clown that causes me to **ck things up right at that crucial moment........'Jim Morrison'
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Got Roadsmarts on at the moment- they're worth a look in my opinion.
I've had 21's and Michy 2ct's before and these are better than both, IMHO.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
yorkshirepuddin

Post by yorkshirepuddin »

Thanks for your opinions, this offer seems too good to miss, so might take them up on it.
stormingjoe

Post by stormingjoe »

yes used them a couple of times been pretty good, quick if in stock and reasonably priced similar to m&p.
1998 Firestorm, 47,000 miles, forks valved & sprung, proflex shock +4mm over standard, manual ccts', k&n, 50#slow 185#/190# mains, front carb slide mod, R6 throttle tube, Tank raised, Viper cans, Coerce fork brace, EBC lite front discs & pads.
JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB »

Has anyone tried the Avon Storms or Pirelli Angel STs?
I've got a shagged 016 on the back of mine and a shagged 014 on the front. They were great in the dry but once they had 2k on them were horrible in the wet and also tram-lined. A trackday didn't help!
I'd like a decent set of road tyres for over the winter - I'm thinking Storms.

What say ye?
donk

Post by donk »

I have always had bridgestones on my zx6r r6 and my storm, i had the 014s and they were the best tyre ive ridden on. Did a trackday on storm with the 014s and they gave me loads of confidence. I have a zx9r now and that has diablo corsa's on i like these tyres but not as much as the 014s, so i think new rubber is in order for 2010!!! Any one know a site where i can get cheap 014s???
JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB »

donk wrote:I have always had bridgestones on my zx6r r6 and my storm, i had the 014s and they were the best tyre ive ridden on. Did a trackday on storm with the 014s and they gave me loads of confidence. I have a zx9r now and that has diablo corsa's on i like these tyres but not as much as the 014s, so i think new rubber is in order for 2010!!! Any one know a site where i can get cheap 014s???
Didn't 016s replace 014s?

I agree that they are confidence inspiring, but once they got off, they really go off. Also, I don't want to waste a set on getting them squared off with winter road riding.
JIMMYJAMES

Post by JIMMYJAMES »

Had Storms on the SV650 and they were ace. Good mileage and confidence inspiring even in the wet. If they do slip a bit the catch in a progressive and controllable way and even managed to cope with the SV's savage engine braking. Thats what i will be getting when mine need replacing.
Red (the fastest colour) 98 Storm, APE CCT's ART Titanium high level cans, Airblade smoked double bubble screen and the shopping list is still growing!
pariah

Post by pariah »

Hey Pudding, give timbo a shout . I,m sure he fitted a set of maxis on his storm :thumbup:
Jbrebel

Post by Jbrebel »

Good link that Tim, might try Maxxis next :thumbup:
SP1's rock!
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

JohnnyB wrote:Has anyone tried the Avon Storms or Pirelli Angel STs?
I've got a shagged 016 on the back of mine and a shagged 014 on the front. They were great in the dry but once they had 2k on them were horrible in the wet and also tram-lined. A trackday didn't help!
I'd like a decent set of road tyres for over the winter - I'm thinking Storms.

What say ye?
I use Avon Storms and so does Stratman, also Firestorm Mike iirc on his SP. I don't ride in the wet anymore if I can help it so can't comment on those conditions which is not really much help for you. But for dry use I can't fault them. I really like them, but tyres are a very personal thing, what may suit one may not necessarily suit others. Unfortunately there is only one way to find out if you'll like them or not and that is to try them.

I find the rear tyre usually does 6,000mls plus, but that does not include track days :D

Chris.
skidonald

Post by skidonald »

I had the Maxxis Supersport fitted a couple of months ago and cannot fault them. just used them on a track day too. (See Track Day Ground Clearance Post, you can clearly see the tyres in one of the pics). Had BT020's on before that and they were great but I'll be getting Maxxis again and so will a few of my buddies now that they've seen them perform. There are of course those who won't touch them cos they're too cheap so they must be sh1t. Doesn't matter that I kicked their arses on the track day on a slower bike or a tourer as they like to call the storm.
Not sure about the mileage I'll get from them and won't be able to compare as never done a track day on the Bridgestones.
<php>Image