Gear indicator

General Bike chat
sirch345
Site Admin

Re: Gear indicator

Post by sirch345 »

JohnnyB wrote:I can understand wanting an indicator on an IL4 600 to stop you looking for 7th gear but on a storm there is such a wide usable spread of revs I can't see the point (unless you are completely numb and deaf)
I must admit I didn't think it would be really necessary on the Storm, but I was offered a good deal on a 2ndhand one from a mate of mine so gave it a try. I was suprised how much use it has turned out to be :!:

And just in case you wondered I'm not as you put it "completely numb and deaf" :crazy:

Chris.
JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB »

sirch345 wrote: I must admit I didn't think it would be really necessary on the Storm, but I was offered a good deal on a 2ndhand one from a mate of mine so gave it a try. I was suprised how much use it has turned out to be :!:

And just in case you wondered I'm not as you put it "completely numb and deaf" :crazy:

Chris.
Fair play, I suppose it like lots of non essentials, once you have it and are using it, you realise you are better off with, than without.
I haven't had one on a bike for about 20yrs on an '81 GSX750 Suzuki !!
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

I can see your point about the torque and revs, but for me the advantage is I don't keep trying the gear lever on my hour-long motorway commute to see if I'm already in top, just glance at the gear display.
And having had a reg/rec go on me a while back I rather like the voltmeter.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Stratman

Post by Stratman »

JohnnyB wrote:I can understand wanting an indicator on an IL4 600 to stop you looking for 7th gear but on a storm there is such a wide usable spread of revs I can't see the point (unless you are completely numb and deaf)
Maybe a 'change up' indicator if you don't want to over rev it would be useful, My mate's Street triple has one which you can set yourself, but even that was fun rather than function...
The one thing I think would be useful is indicator warning lights at the top of the instrument panel instad of the bottom - I can't see mine when using a bigger tank bag.
No, I'm not numb and deaf either and have used a Digigear for about 7 years now and they are really useful.

Also, as I'm not numb and deaf I have a tailpack instead of a large tankbag so I can see my warning lights.
Two bikes, still only four cylinders!

LotusSevenMan

Post by LotusSevenMan »

Well I have Digigear fitted too as with a choice of four bikes for my use I can get caught out by the various characteristics of each bike. I especially use it when rolling off the throttle aproaching a junction and I'm not sure if it is in third or second as I like to take roundabouts in second gear. That second to first change is a bit large and can have the tail hopping if I'm concentrating on traffic and 'get-it-wrong'! :eek2

Numb and deaf LSM :thumbup:
"Only ride as fast as your guardian angel can fly" !!!
bikerpiker

Post by bikerpiker »

tony.mon wrote:I can see your point about the torque and revs, but for me the advantage is I don't keep trying the gear lever on my hour-long motorway commute to see if I'm already in top, just glance at the gear display.
That's exactly what i keep doing,was always looking for a 7-speed box , i done it on my Firestorm, now i do it on the Bandit,though on it,it's a 6th gear i keep looking for .
Stevie
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

JohnnyB wrote: Fair play, I suppose it like lots of non essentials, once you have it and are using it, you realise you are better off with, than without.
I haven't had one on a bike for about 20yrs on an '81 GSX750 Suzuki !!
Yes I think that is about it.
Interesting about the GSX750. I had a Suzuki GS1000 for almost 20yrs,

Chris.