Gear indicator

General Bike chat
Giddsy

Gear indicator

Post by Giddsy »

I don't know about you, but I sometimes find myself unsure if I am in 2nd, 3rd or even sometimes 4th gear at relatively low speeds and so not sure whether I need to downshift to overtake etc.

Well I noticed today that in second the revs follow the speed exactly. So at 50 mph the revs are 5k at 60 it's at 6k and so on... this appears to be dead handy as it is easy to quickly see if I am in 2nd or 3rd at a glance...

As far as I know my gearing is standard...

Try it and see if it works for you!
Seven Of Nine Firestorm

Re: Gear indicator

Post by Seven Of Nine Firestorm »

Got a gear LED module on mine aftermarket thing, is a gods sent when looking as to what gear you are in, but generllly just feel the bike and if its strugglying drop down a gear.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

agreed, but as I spend 100 miles a day on the M25 it helps to see if I'm already in top.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Phil-VTwin

Post by Phil-VTwin »

I have a circuit for one here, just scrounging up the components from my brothers but even if i had to buy the parts it would be less than a tenner and just as a good as the Acumen one!

Also in the pipe line of my projects is a speedo healer along with a digital speedo.

All homebrew of course :D
Ride Safe
Phil
LutonStorm

Post by LutonStorm »

Giddsy,

Yep, me too. 2k-20mph upto 5k-50mph in second. Been using that for about three weeks when I found it out myself.

Phil, any chance of that circuit diagram? Would like to have go myself? Is hardwiring it to the wiring loom too bad?

SK
Phil-VTwin

Post by Phil-VTwin »

Yeah no problem, PM your email address and I'll send it to you. Wiring is easy as it just attaches to the back of the instrument panel.

Do you have a PIC programmer that will handle the 16F88?
Ride Safe
Phil
gilson

Post by gilson »

Phil-VTwin wrote:Yeah no problem, PM your email address and I'll send it to you. Wiring is easy as it just attaches to the back of the instrument panel.

Do you have a PIC programmer that will handle the 16F88?
WTF is that? :D

You make them, I'll buy one.... :lol:

Doesn't have to look pretty, it's for my track bike...
No bike (yet).
LutonStorm

Post by LutonStorm »

No, but if they are not too expensive and Gilson is interested???? I could be persuaded to "invest" in one!

m3zjk@mac.com
pariah

Post by pariah »

I,ve found that I dont need one, I use the amount of bufferting and wind noise to tell me how fast i,m going :D
IgorVigor

Post by IgorVigor »

I always learn the speed to rev's of my bikes...

Then if the speedo goes, I am OK :P

2k-20mph to 7k-70 is fun in second :P
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

I have a digi-gear indicator on my bike made by Acumen. I find I use it more than I thought I would. Just remember the slower you're going the longer it takes to catch up with a gear change. Once you get used to that it's good IMO.

The Acumen also has a light sensor fitted into the face of it, a nice touch I thought. That enables it to adjusts to the light conditions as you don't need it so bright at night as you do when it's daylight.

Chris.
Phil-VTwin

Post by Phil-VTwin »

Guys, i am not going to start making and selling them, sorry about that but if anyone is interested, here is the link to where i found the circuit and pic code
http://www.speedzilla.com/forums/rc51-g ... plans.html

Have fun :D
Ride Safe
Phil
bikerpiker

Post by bikerpiker »

Why the buggery dont all manufacturers fit them as standard on all new bikes ? .....i'm sure my Suzuki Katana of '83 vintage had one as standard ,although i suppose they are needed on some models more than others.

Same with Stainless braided hoses...my Daytona had them as standard and it was a '91 model :!:
Stevie
Phil-VTwin

Post by Phil-VTwin »

If anyone IS interested in making one themselves Pat is still selling his DIY kits which contains everything you need for $55 US + shipping, but prices may vary as he only 'stocks' a limited amount of parts.

If your not confident in putting these together then i am more than happy to offer a 'build and test' service for you.

Cheers
Ride Safe
Phil
JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB »

I can understand wanting an indicator on an IL4 600 to stop you looking for 7th gear but on a storm there is such a wide usable spread of revs I can't see the point (unless you are completely numb and deaf)
Maybe a 'change up' indicator if you don't want to over rev it would be useful, My mate's Street triple has one which you can set yourself, but even that was fun rather than function...
The one thing I think would be useful is indicator warning lights at the top of the instrument panel instad of the bottom - I can't see mine when using a bigger tank bag.