MTC Exhausts

General Bike chat
Jbrebel

MTC Exhausts

Post by Jbrebel »

Your thoughts please :)

http://www.mtcexhausts.co.uk

Know Timbo's had some before, but anyone else that has please feel free to chip in! What do you think to fit, finish, price etc :)

Just weighing up my options at the minute :think: Want to actually ride the bloody thing first before I fit anything...it's only been up the drive and straight into the garage :crazy:

This weather...:thumbdown: :x
SP1's rock!
Zakalwe

Re: MTC Exhausts

Post by Zakalwe »

Yeah, I had a set on. They are a pretty much generic can (similar to Fuel for instance). The service you get from MTC is great though.....they even let me "trade in" the high level link pipes that I had on and swapped them for standard level pipes. i always think that good retailers deserve to do well and Martin at Burscough is a good guy.

They're nothing fancy, just well made, generic cans. The sound fine, they make good power (130BHP at the rear wheel) and, importantly for a V-twin, can be repacked easily.

Recommended.

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

JB,
My personal opinion (and that's all it is) is that it's all very well to be concerned about quality and finish plus price and fit etc, but you also want to know that the guy's who sell after market can's or complete systems even, have done the research and development in producing their product (on a dyno) so you end up with as good as, if not a better power band.

Lets face it most of us could produce a can, Tony mon even posted a link very recently with prices where you could buy all the parts to do just that. But whether our cans would be better or worse than the standard cans you wouldn't know until you rode the bike or put on a dyno. Also the length of cans and the link pipes play a big part too, again all stuff that is worked out using a dyno. So even if they sound good they may not be.

Only my 2pence worth :biggrin

Chris.
Zakalwe

Post by Zakalwe »

I agree, in part, to what Chris has said above. On standard headers, and with a standard engine aftermarket cans are all pretty much of a muchness. Especially if you get a Power Commander and custom map done. Yes the Akra cans might make a bit of a difference (for instance they often have tapered link pipes and tapered internal cores)...but you are probably chasing the last 1 BHP out of a tuned engine. A decent custom map and a skilled dyno operator will make a bigger difference IMHO.

With regards to the SP1/2s, the standard end cans weigh an absolute ton. They are huge, heavy lumps and are very very restrictive. Buy the can you want, junk the standard ones, stick a PC on, do the flapper mod and get a custom map done. That'll transform the bike, believe me. Proof of the pudding? Before and after power traces.....8 extra gee-gees at the top end and a big hole smoothed out in the mid-range (this was with the MTC cans). That's what a custom map can do. Both traces were with the same set-up....the only difference was the tweaking on the Power Commander. I shudder to think what power it would have made on the standard cans (110BHP at the most I reckon).

A pair of titanium MTC slip-ons would be £400. A pair of Akra slip-ons is £1053. Thats 600 nicker difference. £600 would buy a Power Commander and a custom map and still leave £250-£300 in your back pocket. OK, the Akras will have a bit more "street cred" and might make a couple of extra BHP, but for me, £600 buys me 4 trackdays. Personally I know what I would be doing!!
Jbrebel

Post by Jbrebel »

Cheers for the input chaps :)

Like I've already said I want to ride the bike standard first before making any decisions...chance would be a fine thing :Toilet1:

I have been offered a full Akrapovic system but it's still too much. The MTC stuff looks nice for the price.

I've never chased massive HP hikes anyway when fitting exhausts/cans prior. Just like to let the bike "sing" a little more :biggrin

I have seen a PC3 for sale and was in a mind to buy it with the intention to fit with exhausts at a later date.
SP1's rock!
Jbrebel

Post by Jbrebel »

Does look ra-hather nice dunnit :D

Then again, they all do imo :mrgreen: Lurvley bikes.
SP1's rock!
Zakalwe

Post by Zakalwe »

The standard headers on the SP1/2 are supposed to be pretty decent actually. There is very little (according to those in the know) to be gained from using a full system on a standard engine. The SP1s are from before the days of catalytic converters clogging up bike headers dont forget.

Get a PC, even if on standard cans. Do the flapper mod. This will help to smooth out the low rev snatchiness. Junk those boat anchors that Honda fitted as exhaust cans, then get a custom map for the PC. You will be amazed at the difference!!!

Oh and roll on some decent weather. Timbo....I reckon we are due another run up over Kirkstone Pass shortly!!!
Jbrebel

Post by Jbrebel »

Zakalwe wrote:Do the flapper mod.
Sure I went out with a bird who had that once...:think:

How's that done on the SP?
SP1's rock!
Jbrebel

Post by Jbrebel »

Zak you have a PM :wink:
SP1's rock!
Zakalwe

Post by Zakalwe »

Timbo wrote:
Zakalwe wrote:
Oh and roll on some decent weather. Timbo....I reckon we are due another run up over Kirkstone Pass shortly!!!
Somewhere oher than Kirkstone Pass though Steve eh? :)

Last time up there it took us forever to get across and dont think i topped 20mph. Followed the widest cruiser on the planet, i was ready to kick the tit off!! "Tell you what, i will just sit out far enough on the back of cars so nobody can see or get past me", WHAT A KNOB!!! Eventually passed him way after Ulverston Steamers ( :biggrin Steamers!! :biggrin ) at light speed. He didnt want to overtake but he didnt want to be overtaken.

But yes, time for a run out very soon mate.

Yer not telling me that you couldn't get past a bloody cruiser are ya?? :mad2 :mad2
Beamish

Post by Beamish »

The MTC's look good IMO, to be honest if you cant afford the Akros then go for what suits the look you are after (and noise obviously) Blue flame will do a set for £340 all in.
I see myself as a sensitive intelligent man but with the heart of a clown that causes me to **ck things up right at that crucial moment........'Jim Morrison'
Zakalwe

Post by Zakalwe »

FirestormMike wrote:
Zakalwe wrote:Yer not telling me that you couldn't get past a bloody cruiser are ya?? :mad2 :mad2
You had to be there to see what we mean Steve, the bloke was an butt.
He rode all the way down the other side of the pass with his indicator going, I managed to get beside him at the foot of the pass, beeping horn and pointing to indicator, and it didn't click what was wrong with him. He then took up all the road so the others couldnt pass (he had the widest cowhorn bars in the world) doing about 40mph. Massive trail of bikes and cars behind him.

Reach over and flick the killswitch?? :D :D
bikerpiker

Post by bikerpiker »

Bloody ell Tim ,.......that time we met yourself,FSM and Zipper Dave at Moffat ,i thought you could go your bike ok ,...maybe i caught you on one of your good days :lol:

Just kiddin mate ,......actually i thought you were all going your bikes rather well ,as i said to Cupasoop at the time :thumbup:
Stevie
Zakalwe

Post by Zakalwe »

Timbo wrote:
Now that is plain evil, i love it :)

But would i catch gay if i touched a cruiser? :)

Now that's a danger....but I am sure you could get a cream for it....