Forks clean up

General Bike chat
cheekykev

Forks clean up

Post by cheekykev »

Hi Guys :wave:
If you've been on the forum recently you'll be aware that i'm looking for an SP1 :D
to fund this i'll need to sell my Firestorm which is in fine condition except for the silver paint on the lower fork legs as deteriated and pitted :(
This is my second Firestorm over the last 11 years (i just love um)and the same thing happened to other one :(
I'm sure i'm not on my own, there must be loads of you out there with this problem :problem:
anyway that's the story, so does anyone out there have any ideas about rectifying it other than just rubbing them down and repainting them, if that's the only practical solution, what paint should i use :think:
I'd be grateful for any advice :thumbup: please note i'm not looking for a cheap easy fix just for a sale, I'd really like to sort them out as it lets the rest of the bike down, i know some would say why bother you're selling it anyway, but i'm a bit of a perfectionist and i'd rather it was right :wink:
Like what you do
Do what you like
He who wonders isn't always lost
cheekykev

Re: Forks clean up

Post by cheekykev »

HI,
You say you used engine laquer, i take it that was the final finish, i don't want to appear like a thick dum sh1t, but what did you do before hand ie prep work. :thumbup:
Like what you do
Do what you like
He who wonders isn't always lost
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

i used nitromors on mine, then wire brush, then cleaned them up in thinners and then used satin hammerite spray.
you can get satin silver if you want to keep the original but i wanted black.
nice finish.

later i decided to do them in jcb bucket paint cos its much harder wearing.
the hammerite is nice tho. anout a tenner a tin but you dont need primer.
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

fkin hell wicky looks like its been at the bottom of the sea for 30 years lol!!!
cracking job :thumbup:
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
MJONESY

Post by MJONESY »

i used a brillo pad in the bath to clean them up and give a key, then clean down with thinners 2 coats of halfords primer 3 coats of halfords silver wheel paint (be careful that stuff goes on thick) then a couple of coats of heavy duty lacquer, on most things i would rub them down with wet and dry between each coat but because of how rough textured the forks are it would have little effect unless you have a bad run. i just made sure i got each coat on before the one below had dried hard, been done about 3 or 4 months now and 2 or 3k miles and still look good, will get a before and after up when i get home Thursday.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Stickers.
Just put some stickers on them.

Lots of stickers.

All over.

Not on the sliders, though.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

or stickyback plastic.
most applications, in every case.
here's how you do it. (sort of)
[youtube][/youtube]

got to love the retro hairdos :thumbup:
vtrbarmy

Post by vtrbarmy »

Rubbed mine down and sprayed with Ford Stardust Mettalic followed by a couple of coats of lacquer, came up looking like new - Stardust Metallic is as near as damn it same colour as they were originally.

If I could work out how to post pictures I'd add some up to show you
BarryH

Post by BarryH »

I used a Ford colour on mine, seemed to be a good match. I added a coat of etch prime in the hope that the paint wouldn't start flaking off anytime soon. Been through one winter and still looks good, but then I don't ride too much in the winter. Call me a sissy I don't care............