Probably should be in the workshop section but........

General Bike chat
LotusSevenMan

Probably should be in the workshop section but........

Post by LotusSevenMan »

........... has anyone had problems with the running of their 'Storm after brimming the tank?
I just wondered because my engine stopping problem seems associated within about a mile or two after having filled up. I squeeze as much into the tank as I can due to (as we know) the pathetic tank range. I am wondering if it has something to do with a blocked tank vent? Anyone know where it is (and I'm not talking about the tank overfull drain). My thought process, flawed though it may be, is that as the cold fuel expands due to engine heat and it might vapour lock perhaps if the tank vent is not functioning?
Might be something to do with the VTR's 'condition'??????
Thanks in advance
"Only ride as fast as your guardian angel can fly" !!!
benny hedges

Re: Probably should be in the workshop section but........

Post by benny hedges »

dunno tbh m8, it's usually in the filler cap... never really thought about it :/
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
Twinpotter

Post by Twinpotter »

Hi Lotus
I'm always tempted to get as much fuel in as possible in these wee tanks too but I'm in the habit of refueling with the bike upright to the lower lip of the filler neck (with no fuel in the neck) for the very reason you suggest, so as to allow for the expansion of cold fuel. That and I make sure the inner drain rim is always clean too. I don't know of a vent but I have always assumed that air is permitted to enter the tank through the breather hose.

In terms of the engine stopping, I've had this on the odd occasion i.e. come off the motorway and stopped at a set of lights, but I understand this to be something that the Storm just does from time to time.
Starts with a R. Rrrrrrrr. Motorbike!
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

LSM,
I have a dim & distant memory of reading about something like this, may have been a magazine article from 10 yrs ago, may have been on the net [here or the superhawk forum?] but I cant remember the source or the details so I will not be too helpful.........sorry!

But I am sure that there was a link between over filling the tank and some sort of fueling problem, so it is not unreasonable to think you are alone with this problem. All I know is that I didnt have the problem, so that is why I have forgotten the details.

others may have better memory, or a search on the UK or USA forums might find some old data
AMcQ
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

AMCQ46 wrote: But I am sure that there was a link between over filling the tank and some sort of fueling problem, so it is not unreasonable to think you are alone with this problem. All I know is that I didnt have the problem, so that is why I have forgotten the details.

others may have better memory, or a search on the UK or USA forums might find some old data
I remember this being a fairly common problem too, but have not really heard very much of this happening for a long time now.

I agree Chris (LSM) a very good possibility to the intermittent running on one cylinder problem your Storm has atm.

We may have even been discussing this problem on the old MCNews forum, in which case that was years ago :!:
I did a search and found a mention of this problem:-

See Max's reply 3rd post up from bottom. Also last post by Pete (Pete.L). So he's heard of it too.
http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... +fuel+tank

Now that you've come up with this possibility Chris, you need to get out on the bike and see if you can recreate the symptoms :wink: Do keep us posted :thumbup:

Chris.
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Thanks Chris, at least your memory is better than mine :thumbup:

looked at the thread and it confirms the problem was out there, but it didnt go into the depth that I remembered. we may have to wait to see if PeteL has good powers of recollection
AMcQ
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

AMCQ46 wrote:Thanks Chris, at least your memory is better than mine :thumbup:

looked at the thread and it confirms the problem was out there, but it didnt go into the depth that I remembered. we may have to wait to see if PeteL has good powers of recollection
:lol: I don't think my memory is that good :lol:
Besides Pete, may be Paul (Stratman) can remember this :?:

Chris.
LotusSevenMan

Post by LotusSevenMan »

ooh thanks for that Sirch (Chris)!
by Max » Tue Mar 22, 2005 5:27 pm

My cousin used to have a fuel problem if he filled the bike whilst sat on it to keep it vertical and get as much in as possible. he would ride up the road and it would run real ruff. if we opened the tank it was like breaking a vacuum like the over full tank was blocking a vent. If he filled it on the stand then it ran fine.
Max

Just what I do. Maybe I'll just try a ride having filled it to the top as above but with one difference. The spare key will be ready in the fuel cap so if (no, when!) it slows down I'll open the cap. That should prove if it is this suspected vacuum problem!!! :thumbup:
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

LotusSevenMan wrote: Just what I do. Maybe I'll just try a ride having filled it to the top as above but with one difference. The spare key will be ready in the fuel cap so if (no, when!) it slows down I'll open the cap. That should prove if it is this suspected vacuum problem!!! :thumbup:
Yes, but not on the motorway this time Chris :thumbup: Do keep us posted,

Chris.
Jazzscot

Post by Jazzscot »

Im going to throw my tuppenceworth into the ring. I used to fill mine up and go out on her for a run. Pretty much every time I reached 70 miles on the tripometer the bike would splutter and cut out. Restarted her and off I went again no problems.

To cut a long story short, turns out it was a small split on the rim of the diaphram washer in the fuel tap. Ordered a new one replaced it no probs since.

Might be worth checking.

Jazz
Everything good is bad
Everything bad is good
LotusSevenMan

Post by LotusSevenMan »

Oh to get seventy miles before having a problem!
Already checked the fuel tap and diapragm and that's fine!!!
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

If opening the cap doesn't do anything another thing to check is water in the fuel. Try draning the carbs into an old milk bottle or something. If it's clear chuck it back in the tank if not, problem solved. :thumbup:
If I got the hose near mine when washing it a bit of water always managed to find it's way in. Never a problem in the rain, just with the hose??? also had a sticking carb slide which used to cause a problem if I slowed down after a long cruise on the moterway. A bit of fine emery cloth on the slide edges sorted that one out.
Good Luck

Pete.l
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
LotusSevenMan

Post by LotusSevenMan »

Thanks Pete. Tank was fully drained to look at the fuel tap a while back so all clean stuff with no water in it and it lives in a bike garage so no rain on it etc.