batteries

General Bike chat
dave-sp2

batteries

Post by dave-sp2 »

Hi guys

What is the best battery for the VTR, Do they do one with higher cranking amps to cope with the high compression. like you can get for a diesel car etc.

the one i had on the SP was great, in the 2 years o had the bike it never let me down, but the storm one has gone on me twice now so is obvoiusly not holding enough to start it from cold, when it's running again i'll check the charging rate to make sure it's not the rectifier etc.

thanks

dave
sirch345
Site Admin

Re: batteries

Post by sirch345 »

Dave,
A good idea to check the charging rate first.

Have a read of this for a bigger amp hr battery:-
http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 57#p124557

Chris.
storminateacup

Post by storminateacup »

You may have a leakage. My Storm drains the battery every 2 weeks if I don't keep it on the charger.
I was born with nothing and I still have most of it left.
cheekykev

Post by cheekykev »

dave-sp2 wrote:Hi guys

What is the best battery for the VTR,

thanks

dave
Make sure you've got a YUASA on, if not get one or you'll be sorry :( I've just had the same problem, did loads of checks :confused and it turned out to be the bloody battery which as only been on a year (i won't name the manufacture) what a load of crap :thumbdown: :problem:
Anyway bought a YUASA which is what i should have done in the bloody first place and BINGO, evry time i hit the start button she jumps to life like a puppy dog being asked to go for walk :D :D :D
Like what you do
Do what you like
He who wonders isn't always lost
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

& fit a 14 instead of the original 12ah... it will fit in the box (though you may have to leave the lid off like mine) and gives better starting amps / capacity :wink:
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
dave-sp2

Post by dave-sp2 »

ok guys.

battery seems to be pretty new, BOSCH! charged up fine and the bike then started instantly,

but only putting out 13.1v when running!! regulator-rectifier????? if so which is a good one to fit? i have the old one with no fins on it!
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

i got one off a blackbird for £13, same plug, no messin about, big chunky thing with fat fins - works great :thumbup:
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
storminateacup

Post by storminateacup »

Reg / Recs usually overcharge rather than under...have you checked the alternator ?
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Dave,
An R1 or R6 rectifier is the most common used, but you will need remove the spade connectors from the standard terminal block connector, or just cut of the old ones off and attach new ones.

The link below explains a bit more:-

http://vtr1000f.wickidnet.com/
benny hedges wrote:i got one off a blackbird for £13, same plug, no messin about, big chunky thing with fat fins - works great :thumbup:
If you can get one that takes the same plug then that will most likely be your best bet.

Chris.
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

one of these will do the job m8 - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/REGULATOR-RECTIFI ... 255d44faa2

if you can wait a week or so for delivery!
the same reg fits a lot of hondas, all with the same plug & wiring and will fit your mounting holes.
there are uk sellers selling the same item but they want £59+ for them.
uk seller doesn't mean it's uk made - it will be the same item from hong kong!
dave-sp2

Post by dave-sp2 »

I'll keep my eye's on the dreaded ebay for one,!!

once i get time i'll strip the bike down and check all the relevant wires to make sure it's not the only problem while i'm waiting for the new one to arrive, cheers guys!!!

how much voltage should i be getting out of the rectifier? and the alternator??

cheers

dave
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

dave-sp2 wrote:
have a look in the SP shop manual - there's a section about testing the SP r/r & genny
the link to it is in the workshop thingio, hondamoto or silvers, same manual :thumbup:
Beamish

Post by Beamish »

dave-sp2 wrote:I'll keep my eye's on the dreaded ebay for one,!!

once i get time i'll strip the bike down and check all the relevant wires to make sure it's not the only problem while i'm waiting for the new one to arrive, cheers guys!!!

cheers

dave
Sorry I dont have time to check for exact figures AND I have been on the rouge vin but 14 volts is the norm me thinks.
I see myself as a sensitive intelligent man but with the heart of a clown that causes me to **ck things up right at that crucial moment........'Jim Morrison'
storminateacup

Post by storminateacup »

You should get a maximum of 14.5v at 5000 revs from the reg/rec can't remember the alternator checking process but it's in the Haynes book of lies. Check for corrosion on the main lead going in. The 13.1 you mention sounds like just whats in the battery to me.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

dave-sp2 wrote:I'll keep my eye's on the dreaded ebay for one,!!

cheers

dave
Dave,
The Honda Shop manual (for the Firestorm) states a charging rate between 13.5 and 15.5 volts across the battery terminals.

Chris.