wish list

General Bike chat
lloydie

wish list

Post by lloydie »

i always wanted a big v4 1000cc for touring my thoughts were sp1 or the firestorm .
but as i have a fireblade the sp1 was a no no . so late this year or early next year i will be getting one .
what are the the things that you think let the firestorm down ?
lloydie

Re: wish list

Post by lloydie »

see its things like that . i need to know :oops:
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

no none lol thats partly why im here who better to learn from than the owners and riders of the bike im getting next
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Mate,
If I was looking for a tourer out of the bunch of bikes you suggested, your Blade is probabaly as good as, if not better [tank range!] than the Storm!

Might be an ideal job for one of them V4's though :lol:

to help with the decoding of Honda names:
VT = V Twin......so VTR is supposed to be V Twin racing [well for the SP anyway!]
VF = V Four.......so VFR etc

and no.......I cant tell you what CB means in CBR
AMcQ
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

i get about 150miles on the blade . i want a VTR v twin for the riding position . the blade is great for racing down country lanes but as im 6f4 tall its not the best bike for the long runs .
i was thinking about a tl100s but i want to stay with honda
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

lloydiecbr wrote:i get about 150miles on the blade . i want a VTR v twin for the riding position . the blade is great for racing down country lanes but as im 6f4 tall its not the best bike for the long runs .
i was thinking about a tl100s but i want to stay with honda
I dream of getting more than 120miles on mine, most days I get 100 to 110!, the newer ones have 2l bigger tank so that gets them just less than 20 miles extra........so the Blade is still winning. :lol:

I am 6f3 and high milage on the Storm is staring to get to my knees, but I am getting a bit close to 50, and years of dirtbike abuse is telling its toll on the joints[but am told smoking them is good anti-inflammatory :D ]. But if you are keen enough you can tour on anything.
AMcQ
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

true you can tour on anything . but i think the sound of a big v twin is better than a il4 . i know
the blade has more bhp and the same torque ish . my blade puts out 120bhp AND 65 torque .
but you need to rev it . i want the best of both the blade fore a quick blast and the storm for touring .
storminateacup

Post by storminateacup »

Welcome to the forum. The Storm is a great bike but tourer ? I wouldn't tour on mine but I am sure there are peeps who would disagree. Riding position is wrong (unless you raise the bars) which can be done with difficulty. Tank range is crap underseat storage is useless, rear suspension is rock hard and the lights are not the best in the world. But as a bike they are great I just wouldn't tour one.
I was born with nothing and I still have most of it left.
Furrybiker

Post by Furrybiker »

Possibly City Bike or Commuter Bike, but the C was always the most basic as in C90 then the CB as in CB250N, ah the wet dream and finally CBR the sporty stuff.

All the above is of course pure conjecture :beer:
RAINMAKER

Post by RAINMAKER »

my longest trip on the storm was 333 miles...........no wrist ache, no sore bottom and managed 50 mpg on the return 333 miles so 666 miles in two days not so shabby.
Did same on my Harley Dyna glide..............nearly killed me sore butt for 2 weeks after (yeah ...harley riders and sore butt, don't bother with the wise cracks....)
Did 500 miles in a day on my bmw rt1150...................which was most fun............

no contest the storm.
it may be clever, but its not big.
marravtr

Post by marravtr »

did scotland last year on my SP1, about 1300 miles over the week and had no probs at all with back or wrists?? :wink:
4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul...........
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Ran my Storm down to Valencia motogp a year or so back, down there on twistys in two days, back via snowy Andorra in three.
They'll do it ok.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

it seems like the bike to eat the miles .
how is the storm to live with (day to day use ?
and what lets it down apart from the tank range ?
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Trouble is, they take a bit of getting used to after an IL4.
They really respond well to using the grunt to power out of corners, and so when you'r riding around town or in slower traffic you can leave them in a higher gear than you're used to.
But it takes a while to get into the habit of doing this, as most bikes will bog down and get really lumpy if you ride them like a Storm.

And they feel slower than they are, because of the lazy vee twin sound.
But they can hustle, commute and tour, if you want.

Commuting is quite fun as they're slim; you can scoot between stationary traffic a treat.

get one out on a test ride; maybe someone near you could swap bikes for an afternoon rideout?
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

(((((get one out on a test ride; maybe someone near you could swap bikes for an afternoon rideout?)))))))

the trouble with that is if i swapped and i liked the storm i would not want to ride mine home .it would be on ebay in seconds
so i could get a storm