Straight bar conversion report

General Bike chat
firestarter1977

Straight bar conversion report

Post by firestarter1977 »

Hi all...

Been away for a bit preparing my ccm for the track.

Over Xmas I fitted a c n c top yoke and renthal street bars to the storm, this ones from top yokes and replaces the stock unit, quality machining and all hel lines supplied.

I fitted venhill throttle cables as the STD ones to me were not long enough to be routed correctly.

At the same time I fitted taper head bearings ( my stock ones had a big notch on centre wooops explains the head shake I guess )

it's also sporting a cbr 600 mc and calipers with ebc hh pads.
New tyres are Dunlop sport smarts

all in all the difference for me is night and day, no more cramp in the wrists or feeing uncomfy, I rode from 8am till 9pm on Monday and could have carried on... Big silly grin all day!!!

It's so much easier to flick on tight twisty stuff too.

Brakes work a treat and are better than STD however the real test will be this years 14 day tour of Europe :)

tyres are bang on, give plenty of feel and inspire confidence. Just gotta see how long they last

thanks to all who gave me advice on this conversion, tony mon, sirch etc top lads :)

will post some pics when I get chance if anyones interested

mark

the thunder rolls on!!!
Stratman

Re: Straight bar conversion report

Post by Stratman »

I'd be really interested in seeing the pics - did you have to trim much off the fairing?
Two bikes, still only four cylinders!

firestarter1977

Stratman...

Yeah had to trim it, I just followed the curve that's there.

Will post some pics at the weekend.

the thunder rolls on!!!
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Hi Mark, good too hear this has worked out well, and that you're really happy with the conversion :clap:

I've never knew Venhill did throttle cables, I know they do really nice brake hoses IMO. So that's something else worth knowing.

I look forward to seeing some photo's too :D

Cheers,

Chris.
firestarter1977

hi chris

yeah for me the conversion was well worth the expense. it took me about 4 hours to get the feel for the bike as it now handles much differently than before, steering is very light in comparison..... not sure how much of that is the head bearings tho :)

was also scrubbing in new tyres and i'm always careful when trying new tyres but by the end of the day i had almost got rid of the few mm chicken strips :biggrin

i've forgotten the cost of the kit but matt at top yokes gave me a good discount and is a decent lad to deal with.

watch venhill chris, i got a quote direct from them for making some cables x amount longer than the std ones and i would have to send mine into them... quote was about £40 plus post. i looked on ebay for universal ones found some for about £15 brand new... when they arrived they had come direct from venhill, paypal payment even went out to them.

i'll get some pics up over the weekend

mark

the thunder rolls on!!!
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Cheers Mark for the heads up on the Venhill cables :wink: Quite a difference in price.

I found the same thing when I fitted tapered roller head bearings, although I've not done the flat bar handle bar conversion yet (a small adjustment made a big difference). Apparently they take around three adjustments to get the setting correct as they bed in with use.

Chris.
firestarter1977

hi chris..

i checked them after 100 miles and they were still fine, ive not checked them since the bank holiday ride tho. I'll keep and eye on them :)

mark

the thunder rolls on!!!