That ****ing tank range...

General Bike chat
MattP

That ****ing tank range...

Post by MattP »

Hi all again. You haven't heard from me in ages when I had a few Qs on suspension - thanks to all the advice, a real help although tightness of pocket will prevent me from getting the whole thing overhauled for now. In the meantime, learning to live with it and really enjoying the bike... except for one small niggle: the frequency with which I have to visit the forcourt. The best I've managed is 90m before that red light glows, and with the town riding it's usually 80m! I thought I might get at least 100m, tell me if that's not right.

My question to you is this: can you stick a newer larger tank on the old Storm? Is it economically viable?

Other than that I'm in SE London and would like to get together for a ride with some other Storm riders, get your lowdown on how to get the best out of the bike. Know my way round the Kent/East Sussex area pretty well, there's some great roads out there..

Matt
Stormtrooper

Post by Stormtrooper »

the range you are getting out of your storm of about 80 miles on
(16litre version) sounds about right when riding around town

the bigger tank should should just be a direct replacment & i dont think the cost is that expensive, just watch when on full lock for trapping fingers, also this would improve your range in town but not by very much, however you would notice a difference on out of town longer journeys upto about 130miles before filling up depending on various factors.
Skatrekker

Post by Skatrekker »

I have found that around town I get 30mpg but out of town 40 mpg, 45 mpg on motorways at around 90-100 mph.

I am based in Brighton but have lived near the East Sussex/ Kent Border and there are lots of good roads around but forget weekends in the summer as it's all caravans and tractors and 4x4's and volvo's and twats on Harleys doing about 40 mph.
No conection but I was in Brighton this morning and saw Chris Eubank on his open piped Harley thing (it's horrible) reg 100 HOG . to complete the picture he was wearing johdpurs , a Bomber jacket and a Khaki open face .
Sometimes people do live up to their stereotypes !!!!!! javascriptemoticon(':twisted:')
Twisted Evil
MattP

Post by MattP »

Thanks for the info guys, now I know I'm not just being paranoid and I'll look into the bigger tank. See what I can get from the reckers, but it's usually the first thing to go.

What a stunning day in London today, topped off by screaming thru Hyde Park Corner/Park Lane/Marble Arch with nearly zero traffic. For anyone who knows it, it's a fantastic piece of tarmac with amazing bends both ends usually masked by heavy congestion. NOT TODAY!! - knee-down-time and so good I went back twice. It's usually not that clear until 3am, so if you've got nothing better to do...

Skatrekker: Once the weather's settled down a bit I'll send you a mail and we should hook up in the middle somewhere

Matt
Stormtrooper

Post by Stormtrooper »

im afraid its not very good biking weather up here in aberfreeze land as
many of the roads in the area have been flooded :cry:
with the constant torrential rain we have been having for the last 3 days or so,
i could have more fun on a jet ski at the moment than trying to drive a bike.
mind you i did see something today that i havent seen for a while.
some blue sky... 8)

boy do i wish it was spring aleady
and we are not even into the depths of winter :cry:
Skatrekker

Post by Skatrekker »

MattP

Sounds good, I've lived in Forest Row and Haywards Heath so know most of the roads around there quite well , including an excellent route or 2 from Brighton to Brands Hatch including decent pubs as well.

Today it is mostly horizontal rain
MattP

Post by MattP »

Skatrekker

Monday is the last day of freedom before being tied to the desk again. if the sun shines I could be tempted...

mind you, a big storm (as forcast) might leave a lot of sh1t on the road. i'm seriously thinking about it though.

To any Jocks watching - i lived in Glasgow for 4 yrs so i know you'll be waiting all the way to March now before venturing out (even then, it'll start pissing down until July). Worth it though - miss the country bigtime, don't miss the weather or the midges at all.