new tyres :)

General Bike chat
agentpineapple

Re: new tyres :)

Post by agentpineapple »

£15 each tyre to loose fit over the road from me, iirc it was £25 per tyre if they were on the bike, what a piss take, it takes them 10mins a wheel. I reckon they're upping the price to stop people buying cheap tyres online......bloody rip off Britain again.... :twisted:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
templ8

Post by templ8 »

Buy some tyre levers and a couple of rim protectors, only takes 10 mins to change one yourself.
As for balancing I made an adapter that fits onto a paddock stand, a bit like this http://abbastands.co.uk/product-detail. ... cer&pid=14

Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk
popkat

Post by popkat »

tyres from openeo I'm pretty sure come from Germany, I don't know how they do it but no one in the UK can match their price, how you stand on warranty I don't know, buyer beware maybe ?. I get a good deal on tyres at trade (there are different trade account levels as in all trade accounts) Online sellers sell large quantities at very little profit per unit and that makes it hard for shops and workshops to compete. If you were running a shop or workshop would you supply and fit tyres for no profit...No, no one would, I don't make anything on tyres, I make it on the fitting, it's a much better deal all in if you have a ride in ride out service, if it's loose wheels then the price isn't hugely different from fitting to the bike, the reason being I have to earn a living and pay the bills, this would seem disproportionate but it's the only way it can be done, if someone asks me to supply tyres only then I have to put something on them or I would be doing it for nothing, in which case often online is cheaper. I always try to give the best deal possible without ripping myself off and sometimes I can do better than the online stuff.... Spare a thought for the little guys running workshops and small shops across the country it isn't easy keeping afloat :wink:
http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
templ8

Post by templ8 »

Got my michelin pr3s today.
Not sure I'd recommend oponeo.co.uk if your in a hurry.
Took 3 attempts to pay on their site, tried my rbs card (loads of credit left) and the transaction failed, tried paypal, that failed too. Left it til the following day and tried my mbna card and it still said transaction failed, however, I got an email saying I'd now paid.
Phoned them up and they confirmed the mbna card had gone through.

They arrived by 2 different couriers too, one from France and one from Germany.

They're both new stock though, week 49 of 2014.

Not bad for £160 delivered.

Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk
lockwood1956

Post by lockwood1956 »

This looks like a good deal?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Michelin-Pair ... Swd0BV6ICk

regards
Bob
If at first you don't succeed.....sky diving isn't for you!

http://www.facebook.com/bob.morton.125
lockwood1956

Post by lockwood1956 »

Unless I'm missing something?

lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Looks a good deal . Then add fitting
lockwood1956

Post by lockwood1956 »

Cool

Would fit myself so can make that saving :)

lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Happy days [THUMBS UP SIGN]
Sir-Doris

Post by Sir-Doris »

Sir-Doris wrote:Thought I would add my two pence :D

I bought a set of Maxxis Sport Touring a couple of weeks back. Have about 800 miles on them. Not a fast rider (been off the bike for 2 years) so still building confidence up again.
Initial impressions are good. Had a couple of very wet rides (200 miles maybe) and seemed to stick quite well. Mostly dry running though and as the confidence builds the chicken strip is getting smaller on a daily basis. No early signs of wear on either the front or rear yet.
Posted the above in May '14.

Covered about 4000 miles on the rear tyre (quite a few of those miles 2 up) before I replaced it. Centre tread depth was well below 1mm so wasn't legal. Edges were still in good shape but then again I don't get the bike right over anyway. Probably an 8mm strip either side.
Quite a round profile so it was very stable (even when worn) and definitely a touring tyre. Certainly had to make a conscious effort sometimes to countersteer to get round a corner. Never felt unsafe at any stage, just had to put a bit more effort in when pushing on a bit.

I replaced the front tyre after about 4500 miles. Again it wore well but once it started showing signs of wear it deteriorated quite quickly. It had about 2mm tread and went below the wear markers in the space of about 300 miles.
It also developed a strange step between tread blocks. It wasn't there one day and was the next. Again, never felt unsafe in any weather.

I reckon if I was going across Europe for many thousands of miles I'd put the maxis on for sure but for day to day riding they do dull the bike down.

Now have Michelin pilot powers on. So the interesting bit.
Initially I just changed the rear (cash flow) as it was illegal. The Michelin rear with the maxis front tyre was a fantastic combination. Bike dropped into corners and I felt confident getting a move on.
So I replaced the front with a matching Michelin about 500 miles later. Only about 800 miles of easyish riding so far but just dodn't have the same confidence with Michelin front & rear. It's taken the better part of 500 miles before the front seems as planted as it was with the maxis on the front.

So the Michelin's then. About 1300 miles rear and about 800 on the front. Will keep you all posted about how I get on with them when they get changed.
I drink Port and I'm not ashamed to say it.
popkat

Post by popkat »

Sir-Doris wrote:
Sir-Doris wrote:Thought I would add my two pence :D

I bought a set of Maxxis Sport Touring a couple of weeks back. Have about 800 miles on them. Not a fast rider (been off the bike for 2 years) so still building confidence up again.
Initial impressions are good. Had a couple of very wet rides (200 miles maybe) and seemed to stick quite well. Mostly dry running though and as the confidence builds the chicken strip is getting smaller on a daily basis. No early signs of wear on either the front or rear yet.
Posted the above in May '14.

Covered about 4000 miles on the rear tyre (quite a few of those miles 2 up) before I replaced it. Centre tread depth was well below 1mm so wasn't legal. Edges were still in good shape but then again I don't get the bike right over anyway. Probably an 8mm strip either side.
Quite a round profile so it was very stable (even when worn) and definitely a touring tyre. Certainly had to make a conscious effort sometimes to countersteer to get round a corner. Never felt unsafe at any stage, just had to put a bit more effort in when pushing on a bit.

I replaced the front tyre after about 4500 miles. Again it wore well but once it started showing signs of wear it deteriorated quite quickly. It had about 2mm tread and went below the wear markers in the space of about 300 miles.
It also developed a strange step between tread blocks. It wasn't there one day and was the next. Again, never felt unsafe in any weather.

I reckon if I was going across Europe for many thousands of miles I'd put the maxis on for sure but for day to day riding they do dull the bike down.

Now have Michelin pilot powers on. So the interesting bit.
Initially I just changed the rear (cash flow) as it was illegal. The Michelin rear with the maxis front tyre was a fantastic combination. Bike dropped into corners and I felt confident getting a move on.
So I replaced the front with a matching Michelin about 500 miles later. Only about 800 miles of easyish riding so far but just dodn't have the same confidence with Michelin front & rear. It's taken the better part of 500 miles before the front seems as planted as it was with the maxis on the front.

So the Michelin's then. About 1300 miles rear and about 800 on the front. Will keep you all posted about how I get on with them when they get changed.
You changed a budget touring tyre for a budget sport tyre, maybe a sport/touring tyre would have been a better option...
Some Michelins tend to have a flatter profile on the front, this can slow steering a bit, it's a preference thing. I don't like the feel of them and prefer something a bit sharper. Pilot road 4 are a step in the right direction if you stay with Michelin and will last longer. if you want sporty tyre at a reasonable price then Metzeler M7RR is the best option currently available. There's a new Dunlop Roadsmart 3 just coming out, which will be an improvement over the original and the 2, imo they need to get the rear lasting a bit longer which I'm sure they will have and it will be aimed at competing with the Michelin Pilot Road 4.

Your Pilot power's won't last long so you'll be back for this info before too long :lol:

http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
Geordie

Post by Geordie »

I've had Michelin and Bridgestone bt21's etc but currently on my second set of Dunlop Sportmax roadsmarts definitely a hard wearing but grippy tyre but I'm going to move to a stickier tyre like the qualifiers. Roadsmarts feel more planted in the wet than the Bridgestones I've had before..
Stormin Ben

Post by Stormin Ben »

MY two penneth

I fitted a set of Pirelli Angel STs April last year and cannot recommend them highly enough (eventually! :D )
Good price, good longevity, really good grip and feedback in both wet and dry

The reason for the 'eventually' was that, coming off a reasonably flat spotted pair of BT-14s they took a bit of getting used to.
The turn in was so much sharper than the Bridgestones it took me a bit of time to adjust (something I have never experienced before with other tyres (inc Pirelli))

I find they certainly respond better to being bossed about slightly rather than being gentled but as I said I really rate them
I've got an inferiority complex
But its not a very good one!
roasty_duck

Post by roasty_duck »

are pilot road 3s still the go to tyres?
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

roasty_duck wrote:are pilot road 3s still the go to tyres?
I went back to PR2's as they cost less than the 3's and 4's, and I don't have any complaints about the grip wet or dry and even the odd track day
AMcQ