General Bike chat
BigVeeGrin

Re: Fazer Rebuild

Post by BigVeeGrin »

Magnificent Carl. :thumbup: :clap:
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Just waiting on my polish and wax materials to turn up now. Should be here in a couple of days. Then I can get the paintwork protected and add some more shine. I want to blacken the vinyl seat as it's got a bit sun faded. Havant worked out what's the best product to use for that yet.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
BigVeeGrin

Post by BigVeeGrin »

cybercarl wrote:Just waiting on my polish and wax materials to turn up now. Should be here in a couple of days. Then I can get the paintwork protected and add some more shine. I want to blacken the vinyl seat as it's got a bit sun faded. Havant worked out what's the best product to use for that yet.

sh1t - that's clever. Isn't that down Geo's way? :wink:
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

Spotted that but thought it was too cruel, like shooting Bambie in the face!! Trust you too stoop so low Andrew. :lol:
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

:roll: :roll: :p

scott02464

Post by scott02464 »

Very nice Carl, the pics are well worth the wait ;-) :lol:
It looks like its been done in a professional spray shop mate, good effort dude
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

My crash bungs are almost as big as your tank. :lol: :lol:

Yes it was a slow process and long wait. I'm looking forward to getting it running now and I still have no patience.

mattster

Post by mattster »

Carl - as loads of folks have said, it looks like you've done a cracking job with the paint there!

My missus has a Fazer too - I had to respray her front fairing after a wee spill during the summer, but my handiwork is no where near as good!

I could be interested in the lower fairing you have for it... can you stick up a picture? Her's is the facelifted (2003) model, but I don't think that changed much apart from the headlights?

Cheers,
Matt
Xenocide

Post by Xenocide »

Have a go at tricking you charger - plug the fazer + another battery in at once, the voltage from the good battery will trick it into applying charge, unplug working battery , sorted.
'98 VTR (Red - the quickest)
'94 KTM LC4 400e
'69 Land Rover S2 Lightweight
Trowbridge & Surrounding Areas Lawn Mower Servicing & Repairs
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

I could be interested in the lower fairing you have for it... can you stick up a picture?
I will take some pics tomorrow for you if you like. I don't know what brand it is. They do have the holes cut out for the crash bungs though which I have on my bike.
Have a go at tricking you charger
Top tip, I shall have to remember that one. I may try it out of curiosity but I have a new battery on the way. :(

Xenocide

Post by Xenocide »

It works for knackered electric drill batteries.

(obviously electric drills, it's not going to be steam powered is it :/ )
'98 VTR (Red - the quickest)
'94 KTM LC4 400e
'69 Land Rover S2 Lightweight
Trowbridge & Surrounding Areas Lawn Mower Servicing & Repairs
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

My battery turned up and I got the bike started. Engine has a bit off top end rattle, either cam tensioner needs to adjust itself a notch (I believe it's got grooves and works like a ratchet type thing) or my valves need some adjustment. I may be able to get the tensioner to tighten a notch by giving the bike a thrashing under high revs or put it in gear and rock the bike backwards, otherwise it should tighten on it's own accord after a few hundred miles. We'll see.

I have not noticed if the rattle goes away once warmed up as I have not let the bike run long enough. Apart from that it all sounds healthy.

I also have a slight oil leak coming from between the oil filter cooler take off and the block.
The take off for the oil cooler is behind the oil filter! So it looks like I am going to have to drain the oil, whip the exhaust off, remove the oil filter and remove the filter cooler.
It has a rubber O ring but I will have to put some liquid gasket seal on as well. Doh.

And the funny thing is I had a dream about that about a week ago and was wondering if I had torqued up the bolt that holds it on. I didn't bother checking before filling with oil and putting a new filter on as I was positive I had tightened it up. :roll:

So just a few teething problems to resolve and it will be good to go. :thumbup:

AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

cybercarl wrote: And the funny thing is I had a dream about that about a week ago and was wondering if I had torqued up the bolt that holds it on. I didn't bother checking before filling with oil and putting a new filter on as I was positive I had tightened it up. :roll:
Always pay attention to those dreams.................its your subconcious checking your work, and trying to tell you that you missed something
AMcQ
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Just has the exhaust off and removed the oil cooler take off and I had torqued it up good and proper. Discovered why it was leaking, the rubber O ring had perished. It must have split when I torqued it up. luckily enough I had a spare on the old engine so replaced it with that and put some gasket sealant around it as well as a double measure.

I now have no leaks and everything is good minus the tapping valves/chain. It''s not too bad so I'm not too worried about it and it don't appear to quieten down once heated up, so could be the chain stretched or tensioner has not set the tension properly. I'm hoping the tensioner will auto tension another notch with a few hundred miles. If not then I shall sort that out at another time. Apparently it's quite common with these bikes that the auto tensioner gets stuck in between notches.

All I have to do now is bleed the back brake as that is as spongy as a, well, a sponge. :roll: Then off for an MOT and Tax, redo the changes in the log book (engine number and new colour) and it will be good to go. :D It does feel very strange to ride as I'm so used to the VTR now.

It feels good to have two bikes running so now if I want I can take on some more intensive work with the VTR like removing the frame/swingarm for powdercoating or spraying. And while one is out of action I have another bike to ride.

agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

your getting there buddy, i was gonna pop over on the bike but its ferkin cold out there :wtf:
have you made a start on your tank yet?
i look forward to seeing the fazer running in the very near future :thumbup:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!