Bugger!!! CCT help!

General Bike chat
Steve6088

Bugger!!! CCT help!

Post by Steve6088 »

I fitted manual CCTs yesterday

When turning the engine over by hand it goes completely solid now. I heard a crunch when I was turning it over to do the front cylinder which sounded like the chain jumping. I had not tensioned the rear CCT when I turned it over. It was getting very dark and I was fed up is my excuse.

I am completely at a loss what to do now!
VTRDark

Re: Bugger!!! CCT help!

Post by VTRDark »

Steve your best to take your time with this one and going to have to start again and double check everything. Including removing the front cam cover, checking you timing marks including cam sprocket marks, get the tension spot on rather than guessing by feel or counting turns. Then turn it over by hand first to make sure is spins OK. Hopefully it is just the chain that has jumped a tooth.

I'm not going to post pics of sprocket marks and stuff as there are loads on here with a little search. Make sure you get the timing spot on ie 1 and 1/4 turns from the rear RT to front FT. You should see the FT pass the window once and when it comes around for the second time that should be 1 and 1/4 turns. And the front cams will be pointing upwards and outwards the opposite to the rear.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

I had not tensioned the rear CCT when I turned it over
So presumably you still have the rear cam cover off - can you see if the rear cam chain has jumped.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

Steve6088 wrote: I am completely at a loss what to do now!
start again from scratch. you have got the timing wrong if it wont turn over.

never crank it on the button first time - hand only.

and make sure you get the tension right lol!!!!! :Ball Kick:

if you get totally stuck im off mon & tues - know where you live now.
give us a text if youre stuck mate :thumbup:
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

You will have turned it over by hand, not used the button, so hopefully, unless you're a complete monkey with a spanner you won't have bent the valves.
The piston can't go up the bore because a valve is in the way.
So firstly remove the rear CCT tension, then undo the cam caps (four bolts each but don't forget the additional one in the side).
Now remove the cams, but keep hold of the chain- stick a couple of screwdriver handles where the cams should go and run the chain over the top. This is to stop it dropping down the cam chain tunnel and getting jammed round it's sprocket.
Now the engine will turn over again. and you can start again from the first instruction, but this time at rear TDC (RT mark) insert the rear cyl cams in place and set them correctly, set the rear chain tension, and then turn the engine one and a quarter turns anti-clock to front tdc (FT) to get to the right place to do the front one.
This time, if the cams aren't in the correct alignment you'll once more have to take the cams out, and without moving the engine put them back as they should be.

Follow the instructions from this point on.

Now, to make sure that the rear valves haven't been bent, you have to turn the engine over back to rear TDC, with the cams pointing upwards and inwards, and measure the valve clearances.
They should be within spec (.13 to.19mm inlet, and .28 to .34 exhaust). If the clearances are bigger than this you will have bent the valves, and so will need to remove the rear head and fit new valves.

Good luck.
Last edited by tony.mon on Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Steve6088

Post by Steve6088 »

Thank you very much for the advice. I feeling a bit stupid for doing this and not paying attention.

I didn't trust myself to get the timing right again, so I pushed my bike outside of my flat and told RAC it had broken down. Got them to drop it off at a mechanic friend in Chester. Really had to stop the RAC guy from trying to turn the engine over 8O.

It is all sorted now apparently anyway, the chain had slipped a couple of teeth.

benny hedges wrote:if you get totally stuck im off mon & tues - know where you live now.
give us a text if youre stuck mate
Thank you for the offer Benny