Fuel consumption

General Bike chat
Kip Dingo

Fuel consumption

Post by Kip Dingo »

I was pretty sure I bought a bike with the 19ltr tank as it is a 2001 (Y) reg bike...not entirely sure that 80 miles between fuel warning lights is very good though? Especially as at 92 miles the tank is dry! Two receipts for fuel today...one lot of 5 ltrs in a can...and then 7.5 ltrs to fill up at garage about 200 yards away...seems I have a 12.5 ltr tank?
The older I get, the better I was.
playerone

Re: Fuel consumption

Post by playerone »

the 19ltr tanks went on the facelift model, which also had a different dash which included a proper fuel guage and clock. If your dash doesn't have these then it's the older model with 16ltr tank
StormingHonda

Post by StormingHonda »

Kip Dingo wrote:I was pretty sure I bought a bike with the 19ltr tank as it is a 2001 (Y) reg bike...not entirely sure that 80 miles between fuel warning lights is very good though? Especially as at 92 miles the tank is dry! Two receipts for fuel today...one lot of 5 ltrs in a can...and then 7.5 ltrs to fill up at garage about 200 yards away...seems I have a 12.5 ltr tank?
Around 1998-2005 you had these ' Warehouse ' type bike dealers called Carnells and bike world ect, ect, and what they would do was to buy up a lot of stock and sell it cheaper than the cautious main dealers, this worked great for a while then it all went tits up, and these Sucess stories turned into nightmares, the Firestorm may be a pre reg bike, basicly an unregistered bike that had 'sat' around unsold for, well years then sold dirt cheap and plated, I have had two Firestorms which were 02 plates but were the older Firestorm, my bets would be that you have the older storm with the smaller tank.

The older storms have 'Firestorm' on the tank and the newer ones have Honda on the tanks and Firestorm on the fairing by the lights.

And as player one said different clocks ect.
Last edited by StormingHonda on Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
popkat

Post by popkat »

Lots of older ones late registered, I think honda uk over ordered by quite a bit. Under the seat on the subframe should be a sticker with the model code, my sticker states F2 and it's got a 19litre tank and will get 120-150 miles.
Last edited by popkat on Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
StormingHonda

Post by StormingHonda »

popkat wrote:Lots of older ones late registered, I think honda uk over ordered by quite a bit. Under the seat on the subframe should be a sticker with the model code, mine sticker states F2 and it's got a 19litre tank and will get 120-150 miles.
No it was the bike warhouse peeps that over bought, you could get a ZX6R a grand cheaper from them over the main dealers, these lot came after the import craze in the late 80's early 90s.
popkat

Post by popkat »

The manufacturer still has to order them in the first place, I bought my first one from Dobles, they weren't known as a warehouse style shop but they were offering good deals because Honda offered them 70 bikes, mine was a 2000 model bought in 2000, i think the late registered ones were mostly 2000 models, my guess is that the v-twin thing was cooling off quite quickly and Honda uk underestimated this, therefore overstocked.
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
Kip Dingo

Post by Kip Dingo »

Mine has Firestorm on the tank but will check under the seat in daylight tomorrow...I brimmed the tank though and 12.5 litres seems a bit small! lol...thought I was running a race tuned bike for a moment considering what it's drinking, but hey...second time round so should have expected it :) Clocks are speedo on left, revs on right and temp gauge underneath...just a light to tell me when fuel is low...
popkat

Post by popkat »

Later models have a digital display on the righthand side of the clocks.
Virt

Post by Virt »

Kip Dingo wrote:Mine has Firestorm on the tank but will check under the seat in daylight tomorrow...I brimmed the tank though and 12.5 litres seems a bit small! lol...thought I was running a race tuned bike for a moment considering what it's drinking, but hey...second time round so should have expected it :) Clocks are speedo on left, revs on right and temp gauge underneath...just a light to tell me when fuel is low...
If your clocks don't look like this it's an old model :)

Slowly approaching the more bikes than birthdays achievement
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Mine has Firestorm on the tank
16L tanks have the firestorm logo and the later 19L just have the Honda wings. So I guess you have a 16L. By the way I average about 80miles on mine until the light comes on. :thumbup:

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
Kip Dingo

Post by Kip Dingo »

In all honesty I don't really take it that easy...10 miles of my 12 mile commute is motorway and speeds in 3 figures are usual...ahem...thats 69.5 mph officer ;) but as long as it's normal I'm happy...looks like a late rgistered oldie for me :)
StormingHonda

Post by StormingHonda »

Kip Dingo wrote:Mine has Firestorm on the tank but will check under the seat in daylight tomorrow...I brimmed the tank though and 12.5 litres seems a bit small! lol...thought I was running a race tuned bike for a moment considering what it's drinking, but hey...second time round so should have expected it :) Clocks are speedo on left, revs on right and temp gauge underneath...just a light to tell me when fuel is low...
Its an old tank, so you got the lickle one matey, welcome to the worrying about filling up club :lol:
skyman

Post by skyman »

late reg oldies are better / faster /slightly better bhp has it got silver wheels they went on in 1999
StormingHonda

Post by StormingHonda »

popkat wrote:The manufacturer still has to order them in the first place, I bought my first one from Dobles, they weren't known as a warehouse style shop but they were offering good deals because Honda offered them 70 bikes, mine was a 2000 model bought in 2000, i think the late registered ones were mostly 2000 models, my guess is that the v-twin thing was cooling off quite quickly and Honda uk underestimated this, therefore overstocked.
And that.

But the warhouse dealers did used to order bikes like they were going out of fashion........and for their part they did.
woaty

Post by woaty »

Kip Dingo wrote:I was pretty sure I bought a bike with the 19ltr tank as it is a 2001 (Y) reg bike...not entirely sure that 80 miles between fuel warning lights is very good though? Especially as at 92 miles the tank is dry! Two receipts for fuel today...one lot of 5 ltrs in a can...and then 7.5 ltrs to fill up at garage about 200 yards away...seems I have a 12.5 ltr tank?
hey/if the taps are open the f+=ker will drink :beer: