VTR Spec Variations from Country to Country

General Bike chat
VTRDark

VTR Spec Variations from Country to Country

Post by VTRDark »

Just been reading through the Airbox Mod site.
http://www.ablett.jp/bikes/vtr/air_box2.htm

And noticed the following:
I changed it with a Euro-spec motor I bought off of a friend, after he binned his VTR. The Euro-spec bike has slightly lumpier cams and higher compression, as well as the CDI is a bit different.
Can anyone confirm this or have any info on it.

Also what carbs are these. Notice the diaphragm caps are ally and square. They are not just custom end caps as the base on the carbs are square as well.

Something else I discovered that are slightly different is the needles. When reading through Hawks carb set up thread on the Superhawk site
http://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/te ... -up-24769/
There a mention regarding the slightly different length stock needles. The rear being a tad shorter (post number 18 by 7moore7). After reading this I decided to inspect my needles and the part numbers are indeed different, also the lengths are different from US spec, though the rear is in fact a tad shorter. Sorry I can't remember the exact part numbers and lengths I measured with my vernier callipers. (I did write them down but lost the scrap paper I wrote on. Next time I have my carbs apart I shall make more notes and post the details). Not sure about the shape of the profiles themselves apart from length but maybe there is some subtle changes there too.

It's a shame there is no easy way of reading the profiles on the CDI, I think that would show show some interesting results.

Anyway it's got me thinking as there are so many little changes throughout the years and variations from country to country. So anyone that knows of any differences post in this thread and we shall have somewhere we can refer to.

:thumbup:

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
lloydie

Re: VTR Spec Variations from Country to Country

Post by lloydie »

them carbs are down draft flat slides (not cheap)

i noticed last week that import carbs have 45s slow jets and the same thickness diaphragm rubbers where as uk diaphragm rubbers are soft rear and harder front with 48s slow jets can anyone confirm this ?
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

The US spec carbs seem to have a lot more 45's than us as standard. I have not heard or seen anything regarding the rubbers. I would have thought they would get more soft with age and possibly stretch a bit. So are you sure that the ones you where looking at where not just newer. I need to get some 45's for when I put my Factory Pro kit back in, 48's are too rich for me with the factory jets. Though I run 48's with the standard set up.

lloydie

Post by lloydie »

I have 2 sets of uk carb's and the front diaphragm is made from a harder rubber than the rear .
where as the import carb's i have the diaphragms are the same soft rubber front and back .

my thought were that the harder front diaphragm was to slow down the lift speed of the front carb slide to stop it running rich when the slide lifts compared to the rear .
how true this is i don't know its just what i have found in the carb's i've taken apart

i have a set of 45s pm me your address and i will get them in the post at the weekend :thumbup:
bluestoesonnose

Post by bluestoesonnose »

Just a thought, cos I spent some time out in the USofA. They have quite a temp range and height above sea level range, not to mention various emission rules etc. Just wondering if the carb and cam changes reflect this?
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Carb changes, most defiantly. The cam changes I mentioned are on a Japanese bike on the airbox mod site. Interesting the subtle variations from country to country. Something to be aware of if purchasing parts from abroad.

Wicky

Post by Wicky »

I changed it with a Euro-spec motor I bought off of a friend, after he binned his VTR. The Euro-spec bike has slightly lumpier cams and higher compression, as well as the CDI is a bit different.
As from before 07/08 Japanese litre bikes for their home market were limited to 100 Findus Lasanges - as the bikes seem to make here as stock anything from between 95-105 it could be that they subtly hamstrung them to keep it definitely below or at the power limit. Still I'd take what the jp writer says with a pinch of salt unless there's any evidence to support his claim. Roger with his experience may have an insight....

Also diging on japanese bike specs there was a time in 80s/90s when:

"There are no new Japanese-made bikes for sale in Japan that are bigger than 750cc [this is one of the "voluntary restrictions" that the bike makers adhere to]. Any that you see have been exported, then re-imported, for there is no restriction on engine size for imported bikes."

So it begs the question what country was the bike reimported from that he's comparing? Aussieland? as that's relatively nearby

Make off it what you will but a Kiwi wrote in answer to the question "Is the VTR firestorm restricted?"

"Yes there are VTR's out there that do have restrictors. Most of the VTR's i.e. Firehawks (sic), firestorm for USA spec and Britsh spec do not have restrictors.
99% of Jap imports have a 180 to 190km speed cut. You will feel it, Trust me!!!.
I have a VTR here in New Zealand and have being trying to find out how to remove it but no joy yet. Let me know if you have any ideas."

Aussie specs 97-00 http://www.burniemorgan.com/firestorm/vtr9700.html
01: http://www.burniemorgan.com/firestorm/vtr2001.html
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
Stratman

Post by Stratman »

Mine was a German import (1998). It is also yellow, therefore the ultimate Storm in terms of style and speed. :lol:
Two bikes, still only four cylinders!

popkat

Post by popkat »

Carbs are Keihin FCR's, as mentioned they're downdraft flatslides.
http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

Interesting!
I heard the French ones were restricted too and if you rag then too hard they throw out a white flag and give up 8O . ...aledgedly :wink:
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
bluestoesonnose

Ha ha ha, love it.

I think all French bikes are restricted to 100bhp (if required) not too sure on the date this was introduced though.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Yeh the French have been sending their horses over here. :lol:

Virt

Post by Virt »

Well that explains why all the imports seem to be from Germany, rather than a quick skip across the great puddle to France :lol:
Slowly approaching the more bikes than birthdays achievement
bluestoesonnose

That and the French seem to be obsessed with large trail bikes, which isn't a bad thing in my book
Virt

Post by Virt »

Just means they can retreat over any surface surely?
Slowly approaching the more bikes than birthdays achievement