NEW!!! MCCT's Installation Guide

General Bike chat
VTRDark

NEW!!! MCCT's Installation Guide

Post by VTRDark »

With all the new members arriving all the time and questions regarding fitting manual tensioners I'm getting a bit fed up with having to repeat things all the time. This isn't anybody in particular and just generally, so I thought it was about time we had a full step by step guide with pictures on the forum. With respect we have Sirch's excellent guide but it is aimed more towards the stop mod and we have been lacking a manual tensioner guide for quite some time now.

Let me know what you think. http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 31&t=28583

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
AMCQ46

Re: NEW!!! MCCT's Installation Guide

Post by AMCQ46 »

That's a great picture and instruction set Carl good work :thumbup:

Looking at what you had to do to get the front cover off reinforces the benefit of the alternative solutions to ensure the correct tension on the front cyl by copying the number of turns used on the rear. Saves over an hour of work easly.
AMcQ
bazza696

Post by bazza696 »

Super guide shame you had already done them prior, there would be many people on here wishing you had created this guide using their bike as the test subject.

I know its a pain, but you could mention that the removal of the front rocker cover can be optional but if you are going to all the trouble of removing it, say it's worth checking the valve clearances. Two birds one stone.
Eclectic

Post by Eclectic »

Bravo that man. I still havent done mine :?

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Looking at what you had to do to get the front cover off reinforces the benefit of the alternative solutions
I know what your saying and as a quicker solution yes I agree and I think this is OK but it is cutting corners. I also think that method is better for someone with a bit more mechanical skill and feel for things. I wanted to write a guide that, for want of a better word, is foolproof and covers all grounds.

I feel there is too much room for error with doing things by feel or by counting turns. One, it does not account for differences in wear and tear between the two cylinders and second, it does not give one the chance to verify that the cams are timed spot on and in the right position, whether that be the compression stroke or the alignment marks. Being the front cylinder, and as we know this is the more common cylinder to have a failure, who knows how accurate the cams have been put back in if the bike has had a previous failure at some stage in it's life. I have just had to re-position mine which was one tooth out on both cylinders and also on Marty's newer engine, where we found signs of a previous failure, this was out as well.
I know its a pain, but you could mention that the removal of the front rocker cover can be optional but if you are going to all the trouble of removing it, say it's worth checking the valve clearances. Two birds one stone.
Yes I thought of this as an afterthought and it's a good point. I have just added a small paragraph in the intro that mentions valve clearances so at least people are made aware that it's a good opportunity to check them at the same time.

I know what you mean about the pictures. Some of them are new and some of them are older ones I took ages ago, also some are of Marty's engine which is not on the bike yet, which I have just removed the original Honda ones and replaced with manuals. A bit of a mish mash but I have tried to put them in some kind of logical order that makes sense.

Jazz has very kindly knocked up a quick PDF as well, which I have now also added a link to.

Thanks for the input guys. :thumbup:

lloydie

Post by lloydie »

good stuff carl thank you for taking the time and effort for us .
:clap:
BigVeeGrin

Post by BigVeeGrin »

lloydie wrote:good stuff carl thank you for taking the time and effort for us .
:thumbup: Brilliant stuff Carl, and thanks lloydie for taking the time and effort to say what I was going to :D
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

BigVeeGrin wrote:
lloydie wrote:good stuff carl thank you for taking the time and effort for us .
:thumbup: Brilliant stuff Carl, and thanks lloydie for taking the time and effort to say what I was going to :D
Sorry lol
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

:lol: :lol:

Xenocide

Post by Xenocide »

Wow. Fantastic work mate - wish I had that to read when I did mine (Might have straight valves then!!). Hah.

Cheers.
'98 VTR (Red - the quickest)
'94 KTM LC4 400e
'69 Land Rover S2 Lightweight
Trowbridge & Surrounding Areas Lawn Mower Servicing & Repairs
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

where are the royalties for using my pictures......... :lol:
i thought the little video was rather helpful aswell, well done buddy, your a top banana..... :Dancing:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
scouse645

Post by scouse645 »

Even i can understand that guide :lol: great work.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Excellent job Carl, and nice sharp photo's too. I know how long it can take to put something like that together. Well done :clap: :clap:

Adding the video's is another good idea :thumbup:

Chris.
MIKIrsl

Post by MIKIrsl »

I`m still waiting to get my mcct`s done and read trough the guide couple of times but I have a strong feeling that I have ability to mess up even the easiest thing. Also I`ve tried two of my mates that are good with bikes or so I thought but they worried that they may do it wrong so that put me off even more from the idea of tackling it myself.
So here is the question:
Cybercarl would you be able to change my mcct`s??? :confused
I`m to paranoid to ride with auto cct`s and scared to do mcct`s on my own so will have to pay someone to get it done anyway so I would sleep a lot better knowing someone like you has done it.
PS I know you made a foolproof guide but I think I`m not just a regular fool I think I`m on the next level. :shifty:
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

MIKIrsl wrote:I`m still waiting to get my mcct`s done and read trough the guide couple of times but I have a strong feeling that I have ability to mess up even the easiest thing. Also I`ve tried two of my mates that are good with bikes or so I thought but they worried that they may do it wrong so that put me off even more from the idea of tackling it myself.
So here is the question:
Cybercarl would you be able to change my mcct`s??? :confused
I`m to paranoid to ride with auto cct`s and scared to do mcct`s on my own so will have to pay someone to get it done anyway so I would sleep a lot better knowing someone like you has done it.
PS I know you made a foolproof guide but I think I`m not just a regular fool I think I`m on the next level. :shifty:
Tony M does a ride in ride out service for these.

He's not that far from you...Nr Bands Hatch bout 15mins or so...

For a bit extra he may even be persuaded to come to you.
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...