Sheds.

General Bike chat
Virt

Sheds.

Post by Virt »

I have a truly interesting question for you all, I'm sure you'll find it as fascinating as I :lol:

So I'm currently in the process of moving house, the new place has nowhere secure to store the bike though. The garden is accessed off the main path but that's really about as far as it goes, it's also (unsurprisingly) exposed.

I've asked the landlord if I can build a shed in the garden providing I fund it (it's for my tools, my bike. the others can piss off), he's currently thinking about it but he seems nice enough from phone calls/texts and speaking to my soon-to-be housemates so I can't imagine there being much of an issue.

I'm looking at sheds and I can find 10x6 for £250 or a 7x9 for £550 etc.. There doesn't seem to be any consistency across prices, is there really any meaningful difference? How will I know if the floor will support the bike weight and not crack or anything? And what size would you really say is necessary? I'm looking to maybe get a cheap second bike in the next 6 months and wouldn't want to buy another shed (the first will require lots of saving as it is :( ), but I'd also like to be able to work on the bike in the shed so I have somewhere warm and cosey to learn bikes, at the least (I have a cover so I wouldn't need both bikes in the shed when I'm working on one :P )

Cheers :beer:
Slowly approaching the more bikes than birthdays achievement
Jamoi

Re: Sheds.

Post by Jamoi »

oooh we like our sheds :D
Jamie :wave:
Virt

Post by Virt »

Jamoi wrote:oooh we like our sheds :D
Apparently not! :lol:
almightytomo

Post by almightytomo »

It'd have to be a high security shed if it's wooden or a metal one?
Either way they aren't that secure but then neither are most garages.

Make sure you get a shed alarm as they don't cost a lot but might save your precious! :lol:
Virt

Post by Virt »

almightytomo wrote:It'd have to be a high security shed if it's wooden or a metal one?
Either way they aren't that secure but then neither are most garages.

Make sure you get a shed alarm as they don't cost a lot but might save your precious! :lol:
For the most part it's security through obscurity (which isn't secure at all, but meh). The more out of site it is, the more things I can attach locks to and the more difficult I can make it the better. Was definitely going to get a shed alarm too, provided they're gentlemanly and use the door it seems invaluable :lol:
Steve6088

Post by Steve6088 »

I'm in the same position as you. I opted for a canvas/tent thing.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LARGE-WATERPR ... 27dde13795

Not as good as a wooden shed, but it is cheap and I can easily take it with me when I move again. Plus as it is not fixed I haven't asked the landlord. I need to drill a couple of holes in the floor for ground anchors mind.
Virt

Post by Virt »

Steve6088 wrote:I'm in the same position as you. I opted for a canvas/tent thing.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LARGE-WATERPR ... 27dde13795

Not as good as a wooden shed, but it is cheap and I can easily take it with me when I move again. Plus as it is not fixed I haven't asked the landlord. I need to drill a couple of holes in the floor for ground anchors mind.
Have seen that one and I am fairly tempted by it, apart from the lack of security it would provide.. But I may just invest in security elsewhere instead if I go that route... :think:
monkeymatt

Post by monkeymatt »

I was in the same position a few years back when our garage was converted I couldn't find what I wanted all looked like they would fall down in winds :lol:
So I built my own been up for 5 years now and it's warm in the winter months and most importantly strong .suprised it was actually cheaper than buying 1
Ckennedy

Post by Ckennedy »

Where's this 10x6 one? As you know I'm in the need for a shed. 10ft is a bit shorter than I want but at that price I could get 2 and bolt together :think:
Virt

Post by Virt »

I'm not exactly brilliant at anything physical, building my own would be a veeeery bad idea :lol:

Ckennedy wrote:Where's this 10x6 one? As you know I'm in the need for a shed. 10ft is a bit shorter than I want but at that price I could get 2 and bolt together :think:
http://www.gardenbuildingsdirect.co.uk/ ... oCIMbw_wcB
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

The strength of the floor depenst mainly on the base you use - Concrete or paving slabs and raised shed floor. All depends on how much you want to throw at the project and as you're renting you won't want to leave it behind.

For a small storage shed for winters then the tent type one will keep the worse off but you'll struggle to work on the bike/swing cat. To build something more ambitious like this http://ruralgardener.co.uk/2008/12/30/b ... op-part-1/ will be quite a bit more expensive and permanent.

Here's a good series of vids on finishing off a mancave

[youtube][/youtube]
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
lumpyv

Post by lumpyv »

don't forget you will need a few pennys for some slabs or blocks to put it on . you will also need a spirit level :thumbup:

3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the worlds population.
lumpyv

Post by lumpyv »

hell wicky, you pasted your base related reply while I was doing mine :(
3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the worlds population.
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

if you want to view some sheds, pop down to grain in kent, mac has 4 of them, take your pick, 2 silver, one red and one multi-coloured one.... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
don't forget to take your banjo..... :wink:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
Jamoi

Post by Jamoi »

:lol:
Jamie :wave: