out with the old (sad day)

General Bike chat
budd

out with the old (sad day)

Post by budd »

Well the VTR is going, its new owner is coming to collect it tomorrow so here’s a couple of pics of the Honda and its replacement.

The Honda is still quite a handsome thing although the cycle parts (forks, swing arm, brakes etc) are definitely second division when compared to the Aprilia. It'll be a sad day tomorrow, but onward and upward and all that but I will miss the old girl :cry:
I've now gone all European and bought a KTM Superduke GT and Aprilia RSV1000R :D ,
Storm is now gone :cry: .
AMCQ46

Re: out with the old (sad day)

Post by AMCQ46 »

hope the new owner enjoys it as much as you did.

how are you converting the Ape for the left knee?
AMcQ
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Sad day but money back in the bank :thumbup:
budd

Post by budd »

lloydie wrote:Sad day but money back in the bank :thumbup:
yep every cloud :D
I've now gone all European and bought a KTM Superduke GT and Aprilia RSV1000R :D ,
simo

Post by simo »

I know the feeling,and miss just not having my VTR.
Theres A Hare in The Turnips.
Flatline

Post by Flatline »

Get them to join up!!
budd

Post by budd »

AMCQ46 wrote:
how are you converting the Ape for the left knee?
It was actually fairly simple to convert the gear change to suit my dodgy knee the RSV is a pretty big bike certainly taller than the VTR so there’s more room to start with but I still needed to reposition the gear change. So I removed the OE foot rest assembly and found the lower mounting bolt hole was just about in the place I wanted my repositioned foot peg to be, so I simply screwed an aftermarket peg into the existing bolt hole, then reversed the gear change lever and bob’s your uncle I can change gear.

However there were a couple of issues, the most obvious been by reversing the gear lever I now have a ‘race’ pattern gear change ie 1 up and 5 down, so far this hasn’t proved too much of a problem and I’ve yet to up instead of down or vice versa, but even if I get it wrong the Aprilia as a slipper clutch so it shouldn't lock the rear wheel up, I think I’ll soon get used to it.
The other issue is the need to cut the belly pan to create clearance for my foot to operate the re-positioned gear lever, luckily I found a complete set of fairing lowers on Ebay for a very reasonable £30 delivered so I bought those, I cut the required clearance and still have the OE belly pan intact.
You may notice the colur mis-match the replacement bellypan is from from a satin black bike, so it as a red section where the OE part as yellow but I think unless you knew is hard to spot the mis-match, I think I'll probably end up paint the small red section yellow and clearing the whole thing in gloss 2K but at the moment I looks OK so I'll leave it for the tme being.

Once I was happy everything worked OK I made a new heel guard out of some alloy plate, it still needs a little tidying but I’m quite happy with it.

Adapting a bike to my needs is always potentially tricky but sorting the Aprilia has been pretty straightforward and more importantly can easily be reversed
Last edited by budd on Sat Nov 29, 2014 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
budd

Post by budd »

Flatline wrote:Get them to join up!!
well bike as now gone to it's new home (somewhere nr Kettering) and I did mention to the new onwner that he should deffinately checkout the forum, so we my get a new member :thumbup: