Thinking of an XBR500...any thoughts?

General Bike chat
Pem Brooke

Thinking of an XBR500...any thoughts?

Post by Pem Brooke »

Looking to add a Honda XBR500 to the Storm. Any one have any experience of these? This is an '85 bike, standard trim and excellent condition. Quite like the soft 'café racer' look without trying too hard to be a Gold Star....

Thoughts :?:
Twist it 'til it breaks, then back off half a turn.... :eh:
Kev L

Re: Thinking of an XBR500...any thoughts?

Post by Kev L »

Well thought of bike. The GB500TT is even nicer. Al has a friend who rides one. :thumbup:
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
vtrjock

Post by vtrjock »

They're a decent bike....everything the FT500 should have been but sadly wasn't.
Pem Brooke

Post by Pem Brooke »

Yep, I really like the GB500TT but they are a lot more money....seen one at 2,500 quid.

Are these bikes (XBR or the TGB) likely to appreciate as time goes by? Not sure.....
Twist it 'til it breaks, then back off half a turn.... :eh:
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

I can imagine they will hold their value and appreciate given time, the GB more than the XBR but they're both limited selling good bikes. I've often thought about one.
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
Mav617

Post by Mav617 »

Great bikes, the XBR and the GB are well thought of, check out the Thumper Club for advice on all things single, good bunch of lads and a fair few own XBRs: http://www.thumperclub.com/ :thumbup:
I'm so unlucky that if there is such a thing as re-incarnation I'll come back as me!
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Funnily enough there's (or was) a CB250RS with a 500 lump on the fleabay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/REDUCED-TO-79 ... 487365166b
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
popkat

Post by popkat »

XBR500's are great little bikes, they handle really well, not much power or speed though (about 100mph tops), nice styling too, early ones had comstar wheels and can buckle, which are not easy to fix so check them, later ones had spoke wheels. GB500 was only ever a grey import, had more retro looks. neither are worth as much as people ask for them though imo, I reckon they should be no more that £1000-1500. listen for noisy top end and walk away if noisy, they need regular oil changes as they can suffer with poor top end oiling.

Nothing wrong wit FT500's I always liked them, had a mate years ago who used to pull the most amazing vertical wheelies on one.
http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
Fireman on a Storm

Post by Fireman on a Storm »

The XBR was a good bike, the only weakness I can remember was the starter motor was weak. They had a kick start as well.
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

popkat wrote:XBR500's are great little bikes, they handle really well, not much power or speed though (about 100mph tops), nice styling too, early ones had comstar wheels and can buckle, which are not easy to fix so check them, later ones had spoke wheels. GB500 was only ever a grey import, had more retro looks. neither are worth as much as people ask for them though imo, I reckon they should be no more that £1000-1500. listen for noisy top end and walk away if noisy, they need regular oil changes as they can suffer with poor top end oiling.

Nothing wrong wit FT500's I always liked them, had a mate years ago who used to pull the most amazing vertical wheelies on one.
your correct about the wheelies on those, great we things but mine kinda exploded :redface .

as for xbr pretty much a small dommie engine. oil and filter and they go on for miles.
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
Mike TW9

Post by Mike TW9 »

vtrjock wrote:They're a decent bike....everything the FT500 should have been but sadly wasn't.
I used to have one of them, cost me £320 back in about 1988. Great fun I thought & I liked the look too. Just a shame the starter motors always went (which it had), so I couldn't put my side car on it. It took me to the South of France and I kind of miss it still.
Mike TW9

Post by Mike TW9 »

vtrjock wrote:They're a decent bike....everything the FT500 should have been but sadly wasn't.
I used to have one of them, cost me £320 back in about 1988. Great fun I thought & I liked the look too. Just a shame the starter motors always went (which it had), so I couldn't put my side car on it. It took me to the South of France and I kind of miss it still.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

I had one, but only as a breaker- the engine had run dry of oil and the top end had mostly melted...

The bits all sold for good money, so there's a lot of demand and loyal owners. That means near-classic status and you won't find a cheap one easily.

It's a shame, really, all the Japanese bikes that lend themselves to a nice little clubman cafe racer such as the XT yam with a few mods (USD forks, decent wheels and tyres, a shorter swing arm and lowered shock are all that's needed, really) are all getting too dear to chop up and mess with.

That MZ single looked quite good for the task, though.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.