It's Not If - It's When

General Bike chat
VTRDark

It's Not If - It's When

Post by VTRDark »

Got knocked off filtering through gridlocked traffic along the embankment. I came down the inside/kerbside of a London Taxi as the passenger decided to open the door :eek2 BANG!!! that's it i'm a crumpled mess on the floor wondering WTF happened. A bit dazed and gathered my thoughts I realised that I was relatively OK. Right leg hurting loads but soon realised it wasn't broken as I picked myself of the ground. Still a bit dazed someone asked me to follow their finger. I was OK, got my lid off and assessed the situation, swapped details etc.

Anyway I wont bore you all with the finer details, well...maybe not just yet :lol: I'm still in a little shock I think. The main thing is I'm OK. no broken bones, just a bit battered and bruised. My right shoulder armour took some impact as my shoulder is bruised/bruising and a bit swollen. Right leg/knee hurts (that was my good leg :roll: ) and I have a nice graze. Limping a bit and I expect it may swell up a bit overnight, but I can move it OK though a little stiff. Left thumb feels like it's been bent back. Lower knuckle pains and then my right hand I think I have dislocated the little finger slightly as that and the finger next to it hurt bad. Yet again lower knuckle area. I can bend my fingers though. So yeh....battered and bruised.

Bike on the other hand :( :( :( Not good. Could have been a whole lot worse but she's taken a battering. I will let the pics speak for themselves. :cry:

A big Thank you to Marty who came to the rescue. He very kindly helped me get the bike just about ridable and followed me home. As it was a cab I was involved with it was also good to get a cabbies perspective of things.

I'm gutted about the cans. :( :(

I think I have pretty much all the parts required to get her back on the road covered. I shall post up in the wanted section if I require anything when the time comes. The only thing I can think off and it's a longshot. is late model clips on's if anyone has some stashed away :wink: otherwise I shall be going back to standard for now. I'm quite impressed with the Harris rearsets, they done their job. Both footpegs snapped and the brake toe peg. I rode it home like that :eek2 Couldn't change gear the normal way and had to use my heel from the front to change up to 2nd :lol:

I can laugh about it now if only I could afford an upgrade opportunity. Right now I don't give a sh1t, just want to get her back up and usable again but don't have much inspiration. It's cold and horrible out there. Got to give the body a few days to heal first anyway.

What a pain in the butt.......to add to the collection :( :( :(

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
AMCQ46

Re: It's Not If - It's When

Post by AMCQ46 »

AAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGG.............. that is a crying shame Carl, lets see what we can do to help. gald you are OK
AMcQ
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

It looks worse than what it is. It's mostly cosmetic damage but I have yet to check the forks over properly. I shall remove them and check thoroughly when I get the chance. The front wheel was already a little buckled but I think that may be worse now. Not sure yet until I give it all a thorough going over.

Poxy London Traffic :evil: The traffic was a massive tailback because of an accident (death I heard :eek2 ) further up. Accidents cause accidents. I'm glad I didn't hit a door wide open. I have literally clipped the edge of the door as it was swung open. It's only peeled back the outer skin slightly on the cab door. It still functions OK unlike my bike. If you look at the right can it looks like the door caught that which has knocked me to the left and mangled me up in the kerbside with the left side of the bike taking the brunt. I think it high sided me slightly as it felt like I kinda flipped with the bike. It happened so quick I don't know. This wasn't a went in slow motion moment. You know.... how things can go slow motion at the point of impact sometimes. The brain does weird things!!! Was I going too fast? most likely yes for the situation, but this was heavy London traffic so under 20mph I think. Must have been as the traffic was chocka.

bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

thats a bummer carl and me saying at least your ok wont help. Hope you get the bike fixed up soon. I sadly have no spare panels etc but aim sure theres some on here.
missing the noise, not the vibes. However never say never!
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Ohhhhh Shite !

You could have done the right hand side I have a r/h fairing you could of had...

Have a screen & centre panel if you need it.

A set of pipes if you need them.

Take it easy in the morning you'll probably be a bit stiff & the damaged bits will hurt a bit more.

Did you get the passengers details ? Sue the nuts off them !
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
macdee

Post by macdee »

bit of bad luck there carl ,damage to both sides
throttle took a bit of a bang, your hand could have been wrecked
hope everything is ok and back to norm soon
told you not to but oh no you knew better
Miztaziggy

Post by Miztaziggy »

Bad luck mate, glad to hear you're relatively OK.

I assume you swapped details with the taxi driver?

Whose fault will that be when it comes to insurance?
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

jes big man thats sh1t luck :( . i hope the bint that opened the door got a storm sized booting :Argue 1:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
vtrjock

Post by vtrjock »

That sucks...glad yer ok fella.
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

NO what you done to my cans :shock: :cry:

At least you ain't too banged up :thumbup:
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

That's a pisser. Post up the bits you need.
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
lumpyv

Post by lumpyv »

:eek2 :eek2

that's a mess! your bike was looking really good as well mate.

good news you are in the walking wounded category though .

like someone else said you are bound to be sore in the morning.
3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the worlds population.
Flatline

Post by Flatline »

Glad you're ok
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

you plonker Rodney!!!!!!!!!!!!

all jokes aside, you were lucky mate, it could have been much worse, I hope you won't be in to much pain in the morning, if I get the chance i'll run some parts round to you tomorrow.
east of central london was gridlocked this morning, due to a fatal accident, and a major road being closed because it gets classed as a crime scene. it was the east bound tail back that carl was caught up in. it took me an hour to reach carl, when it would normally take 15 minutes, I will say this tho, it wasn't really the cab drivers fault, as his passenger decided to exit the cab very quickly and without warning, but in the eyes of the law the cab driver will be to blame, as it's his/her duty to make sure it is safe for the passenger to exit the vehicle. fairplay to the cabby, he stayed with carl until I arrived, letting carl sit in the back of his cab to keep warm.
i'm just glad it wasn't worse, hopefully it'll slow carl down thru central London... :wink:
I might start calling carl.....007 as he was shaken but not stirred............ :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

I assume you swapped details with the taxi driver?
Yeh been through all the formalities. Who's to blame :Shrug: Ultimately the cab driver is responsible for his passengers so there's negligence on his side of things. But then I was in a painted cycle lane bit approaching zig zags to a crossing while undertaking, though that could be classed as filtering :roll: So who knows. At the end of the day I am at a loss because I have a massive insurance excess and they will most like write off the bike. Both parties premiums will rise and the only people that win are the Insurance companies, so I'm hoping we can do some kind of a deal and work it out between us. I've yet to hear from the cab rental company so we'll see. I will just have to cut my losses as in the long run I will be better off.
like someone else said you are bound to be sore in the morning.
Starting to swell/stiffen up a little more since I started relaxing. I'm caught between sitting down chilling and having to get up and walk (limp) a little to keep things freed up and moving. The worst thing is the little things. My fingers :lol: I struggled to squeeze the button on my lighter earlier and picking things up, even a cupful of coffee puts strain on the fingers. And on that note I need to get up and stretch the legs.

Thanks for all the replies.
hopefully it'll slow carl down thru central London... :wink:
I wouldn't mind but I wasn't going stupidly fast. It's typical, most accidents happen at lower speeds. Yeh I have my moments of stupidity but this wasn't one of them. Saying that though if I was going slower (creeping speed) I would have had time to see what was happening.