Intermittent 1 - 2 sec loss of power SP1

General Bike chat
Boubepo

Intermittent 1 - 2 sec loss of power SP1

Post by Boubepo »

SP1 Question here - hope that's okay?

Riding along on my usual 15 mile ride to work, the bike rides fine and then perhaps 2 or 3 times during the trip, it loses power for 1 - 2 secs and then recovers as if nothing has happened

I'm unsure if the loss of power is due to an electronical problem or a fuel problem but the abrupt engine braking brought on by this sudden loss of power is quite severe, which suggests both cylinders are affected.

Intermittent problems are always the hardest to detect - I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions?

Thanks in advance
VTRDark

Re: Intermittent 1 - 2 sec loss of power SP1

Post by VTRDark »

Ignition.....Start with the plugs and then check the coils. IIRC there is a common fault with the coils on the Sp's and some kind of modification that can be done. One of the Sp lads can confirm this and explain more if needs be.

I also remember when benny hedges had some kind of similar problem on one of the forum ride outs and it turned out to be IIRC something to do with a connection by the battery/starter solenoid. :think: Yet again the SP lads can confirm and explain more.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
turbo_billy

Post by turbo_billy »

Speaking from experience I had the rear coil go down on the Legends SP coming back from a ride out. Limped it home on one cylinder. All set to strip things out but when I started the bike back up it fired on both. Went out for a test ride and again the bike cut out on one cylinder but only under load. Swapped coil out for a known good one and no problems since.
Another possibility......do you have a power commander fitted? If so, check all connections especially the "flying" lead with the ring crimp. If that is not making constant contact it can give the symptoms you describe. If all else fails, unplug the Power Commander and go back to standard Honda map. This will rule out any fault on the PC.
Let us know how you get on.
Boubepo

Post by Boubepo »

Thanks for the advice and info.

I have just got back from work on it [10:15 pm here in Spain] so not had a chance to check anything yet

To be honest I probably shouldn't be riding it, because when this problem kicks in it's pretty hairy and for that 1 - 2 seconds of shut down, it's a serious engine brake with the nose dipping as if I've hit the brakes hard. I am lucky or unlucky that I have some fast roads between my house and place of work in Gibraltar and I'm riding on Gibraltar plates. So riding in Spain, at the moment at least, means automatic Spanish speed cameras and speed helicopters can't trace me. There are some great roads and I regularly open up a bit along this stretch so having the unexpected close down is not ideal

I have another bike [FireStorm] which I probably should use instead but I keep riding the SP1 trying to find a pattern with this fault. At first I thought it was when I hit a dip or bump in the road, suggesting a loose connection somewhere but after further riding tests I'm not sure this is the case. I also thought it was happening under load but I have noticed it has happened on closing down too.

I have a Power Commander and have tried disconnecting it and also resetting it - Does disconnecting the PC from the battery put the bike back automatically into Honda factory mode? because to be honest without the PC connected the bike runs like a bag of sh%te and is almost unridable, which sometimes makes me think the bike has an underlying set up fault, because there's no way it's ridable without the PC to iron out the deformities and lumpy'ness

Due to the complete close down and engine brake for that 1 - 2 secs - It makes me think that it's both cylinders closing down and not just a single coil not functioning - I could be wrong of course
slower110

Post by slower110 »

I had the exact same problem you are describing here on my SP mate. In my case it turned out to be the battery lead from the Power Commander to the battery. Poor connection and just loose enough for it to move on the battery terminal. Resulting in, as you say momentary shut down of power.

Know the feeling you describe as it was pretty unnerving, riding along then the thing just wants to stop!

Hope you get sorted whatever it is.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Have you installed a bigger battery by any chance. I found the thread regarding bennys issue he had. http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... ut#p223171

Are you getting any flashing warning lights or anything on the dash?

It seems battery terminals, power commander wires and fuel pump are all around the same area and can case issues.

Big_Jim59

Post by Big_Jim59 »

Dodgy side stand switch? It does sound like an electrical connection.
Motorcycling is a tool with which you can accomplish something meaningful in your life. It is an art." Theresa Wallach
Boubepo

Post by Boubepo »

Huge thanks for all the helpful replies. I also found Benny's thread interesting as I have also swapped my Storm battery over to the SP1 on a couple of occasions.

Anyway I made a mental list of all your suggestions and started with what sounded the easiest one first - 'loose Power Commander connectiion to the battery' and sure enough it had worked slightly loose! I've re tightened it and Bingo! I think it's cured the fault! I have just brought her 15 miles into work this morning and seems fault free

Thanks again everyone as this was a potentially dangerous problem - having an unexpected shut down and with the engine brake causing the nose to dip hard and then having a surge of power 1 second later was getting pretty hairy!
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

That's good news :clap: :clap: Such a simple fix as well. :thumbup:

And it's nice that the late great benny hedges is still helping us on this forum. RIP

turbo_billy

Post by turbo_billy »

Glad it was an easy fix. :thumbup: :clap: :clap:
Big_Jim59

Post by Big_Jim59 »

I love it when a fix is simple and cost nothing!
Motorcycling is a tool with which you can accomplish something meaningful in your life. It is an art." Theresa Wallach