Carb Balancing?

General Bike chat
Boubepo

Carb Balancing?

Post by Boubepo »

Some kind person has given me a carb vacuum synchronising kit [4 gauges] and a portable 1 litre fuel tank

Great I thought, I'll check the carb balancing on my storm this afternoon

But I'm trying to read up on it and I'm getting conflicting views and getting confused

If anyone can explain in real basic terms, how to set up the gauge kit and balance the carbs, Id really appreciate it
lloydie

Re: Carb Balancing?

Post by lloydie »

Fit a vac take off to the front cylinder to a gauge.
Then fit one to the rear and to a gauge ,this one should have a T junction in it if your using the vtr petrol tank .
Start the engine ant set the tick over to 2k and let warm up .
Drop the idle back to normal ,
Now adjust the screw on the left side of the rear carb to bring them to the same vacuum .
Snap the throttle open and shut after each adjustment and recheck .

It don't matter what they read on the gauges as long as they both read the same

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

AMcQ
Boubepo

Post by Boubepo »

Big thanks for the info and photos which was a huge help

The job was relatively easy apart from trying to get the adaptor into the front port which was a bit tricky

It turns out both carbs were pretty much spot on, perhaps a difference of 0.5 - 1.0 - it only took the smallest of tweaks to get them bang on.

The bike wasn't running badly - I just wanted to use the new gauges somebody donated to me

At least I know how to do that job now and I need to do it on my CB1000 SF and my wife's CB400 SF both 1993 - But thought I'd start on a 2 cylinder first.....So thanks again :D
8541Hawk

Post by 8541Hawk »

Another thing you should do with dial gauges is hook each gauge (one at a time) to the same cylinder to make sure they read the same. :thumbup:
Loud pipes don't save lives, knowing how to ride your bike will save your life.
Watty

Post by Watty »

8541Hawk wrote:Another thing you should do with dial gauges is hook each gauge (one at a time) to the same cylinder to make sure they read the same. :thumbup:
Good thinking that dude :thumbup:
SH#T HAPPENS!!!!!!!!
Boubepo

Post by Boubepo »

I did actually swap the tubes from one to another and then swapped over from gauge 1 & 2 to 3 & 4

Not because I was being clever but mainly to check this new bit of kit [vacuum gauges] were fully working, along with the vacuum restriction valves - not sure that's the right term? but each gauge has a turn down valve to stop the needle bouncing around