Puig crash protectors install

General Bike chat
shahwales

Puig crash protectors install

Post by shahwales »

Hi. Tried to install the above today. Got stuck straightaway. I couldn't undo the Allen bolt on the attached.
Do I need to remove the castle nut first and if so anywhere I can pick one up apart from fleabay?
The only instructions I got with the protectors are the very generalised ones attached below.

Any help appreciated
Thanks
Shah
sirch345
Site Admin

Re: Puig crash protectors install

Post by sirch345 »

AFAIK you have to undo the nut on the opposite side of the bike to the side shown in your photo (the righthand side, rear brake pedal side) as the Allen head of the bolt sits in a slot, then knock the engine bolt through taking care not to damage the threads, providing it has not seized in place. You do not need to touch the castle nut adjuster.

Looking at the information sheet you attached, you have the type of crash bungs that supply their own bolt/rod that goes through the frame :?:

The only thing that I've not come across before, probably as I have R&G's make, is I have not come across crash bungs that use the rear engine bolt, my R&G's use the front engine bolt, but I did have to drill the fairing to fit them. Perhaps this is why your Puig bungs are shown to be fitted using the rear engine bolt, so you don't have to drill the fairing. Even so I would offer the bungs up first, just holding them in place to make sure they will work in that position before trying to remove the engine bolt.

Chris.
shahwales

Post by shahwales »

Ah ok. So I could just use the new bar which goes through the frame to knock out the existing bolt?
I assume the Allen key head on the pic is used to tighten the bolt to the nut on the brake pedle side?
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

shahwales wrote:Ah ok. So I could just use the new bar which goes through the frame to knock out the existing bolt?
I assume the Allen key head on the pic is used to tighten the bolt to the nut on the brake pedle side?
The allen bolt has flats on it which engage in a threaded adjuster, by turning the allen head you wind in or out the adjuster...It's to do with frame flex do dahs & they have a specific torque setting. As said if you take the nut off the other side the bolt should pull through leaving the adjuster in place.

If your new bolt has no flats then it won't fit...

Also the rear lower engine bolt is hollow are you sure the new bolt doesn't just pass through it ?

Also also...Most frame mounted crash bungs fit onto the top engine mounting points not the rear lower ones...Think about it before you start unbolting things...
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Oh & post up a pic of the bungs themselves... :thumbup:
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
shahwales

Post by shahwales »

These are the bars

I bought the specifically because they were no drill but thinking about it I don't think they will protect the bike as much as drilled ones as the tank may become part of the bike protection lol.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

shahwales wrote:These are the bars

I bought the specifically because they were no drill but thinking about it I don't think they will protect the bike as much as drilled ones as the tank may become part of the bike protection lol.
That is exactly what I was concerned about, not doing such a good job as if they were fitted where mine are.
You can see in the photo how much further forward my R&G bungs are to what yours would be by using the rear engine bolt:-

Chris.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

I think it's as Mac says and they may go through the hollow bar. I cant see an aftermarket part requiring the removal of an engine mount in it design. Remove one nut or bolt maybe but not a complete bar that runs through the engine. If it does require you to remove the engine mount, once you have undone the nut it will help if you jack the engine up slightly to take the weight off when knocking the bar through.

This following maybe of some help too.
Engine Mounting Bolt Sequence and Specified Torques

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

cybercarl wrote:I cant see an aftermarket part requiring the removal of an engine mount in it design. Remove one nut or bolt maybe but not a complete bar that runs through the engine. If it does require you to remove the engine mount, once you have undone the nut it will help if you jack the engine up slightly to take the weight off when knocking the bar through.
As strange as that may seem, that is exactly how you fit the R&G type as I have, you do remove the front engine mounting bolt that goes right through the frame,

Chris.
templ8

Post by templ8 »

Had one of these puig crash bobbins a few years back, really not impressed with them.
They fit here
They slide through the rear engine mount above the clutch cover.
I took mine off after one ride because my boots kept catching it as I took my foot off the pegs at traffic lights, felt I was more likely to drop it with them fitted in that position.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

As strange as that may seem, that is exactly how you fit the R&G type as I have, you do remove the front engine mounting bolt that goes right through the frame,
Do they really 8O Wow what a thing to ask members of the public to do for an aftermarket part. I expect they cover themselves thoroughly with legal warnings and to take it to a mechanic if any doubt with installation. I thought the R&G ones might have been a slide through the hole jobbie too.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside