ooops ! Hi level can problems .

General Bike chat
stevegringo

Post by stevegringo »

I must be just unlucky ! ...After surviving the dreaded CCT failure on my recently acquired storm only 3 weeks into ownership , I 've now got another problem , the "blue flame " hi level exhaust cans on the bike which sound lovely by the way have been vibrating like a whores vibrator unbeknown to me whilst I've been enjoying the bike in the good weather that we've enjoyed recently and well, one of them has failed where it joins the link pipe!
I mean it's vibrated that much that metal fatigue has set in and the can is hanging on by the strap completely unattached to the link pipe , bugger !

Now I'm thinking of putting some original exhausts on for the rest of the biking season and try and source some new cans for the spring .

Has anyone else suffered this kind of failure with hi level cans or is it that the numpty who fitted them to the bike didn't fit them properly the cans were tight on the link pipes but possibly the hangers are not stiff enough ! :? :Shrug:
agentpineapple

Re: ooops ! Hi level can problems .

Post by agentpineapple »

this just shouldn't happen, it will be down to poor fitment, on my old exhaust system (two brothers high level) it didn't have the mounting points behind the rearsets, which meant if you didn't get a good/strong connection between the headers and the linkpipes, the end cans would have a fair bit of wobble in them, no matter how tight the hanging strap or can to link connection was.
whatever you fit in the future, just make sure you use the correct clamp size and fit them nice and tight.
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

agree, it sounds like they were misaligned so there was a lot on trapped in stresses in the pipe. you need to slacken all mounts slightly from front to back then waggle them till they are in a natural state. then tighten the bolts from the front to the back, giving the system a bit of a jiggle after each bolt is tightened
AMcQ
stevegringo

Post by stevegringo »

Thanks for the replies guys ! ..yeah that kinda makes sense , I've fitted some standard cans on for now and did notice that when I took the hi level link pipes off the one that snapped was looser than the other one ! The standard cans are well sturdy now so job done for now!
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Which side do you need the link pipe for?

I have an odd one spare.

If interested, just let me know the pipe diameter to the can to make sure.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
stevegringo

Post by stevegringo »

tony.mon wrote:Which side do you need the link pipe for?

I have an odd one spare.

Thanks for the offer Tony , but the link pipes are fine ...it's the bloody can that failed at the back where the link pipe joins the can !

I'll run it over winter with the standard cans on then see if I can pick up a decent pair of cans in the spring . :thumbup:
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

tony.mon wrote:Which side do you need the link pipe for?

I have an odd one spare.

I too have a odd one ,nearside and like new but low level .