Untaxed UK vehicles double after paper tax disc abolished

General Bike chat
Wicky

Untaxed UK vehicles double after paper tax disc abolished

Post by Wicky »

Ouch! not quite the Tory government's efficiency savings they envisaged...

Could this be due to folk living in the countryside off the beaten track, or folk just using their vehicles for local journeys and not using major routes who aren't likely to pass by an automatic number plate reader.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-34933962
The number of vehicles without road tax - Vehicle Excise Duty (VED) - doubled to 560,000 this summer according to the Department for Transport's survey, months after the paper tax disc was abolished in October 2014.

The Department for Transport admits these changes probably caused the increase in untaxed vehicles.

The last survey was carried out in 2013 when the figure was 210,000.

The RAC says the figures are "worrying and disappointing".

It claims there may well be a correlation between evasion of tax and the number of people driving without insurance.
The 560,000 vehicles represent about 1.4% of UK vehicles, up from 0.6%.

Last year, the paper tax disc was abolished, and the authorities now use a network of cameras linked to a database to work out which vehicles are being driven illegally.

'Significant' revenue loss

"Almost 99% of all vehicles on the road are correctly taxed: that's around £6bn in vehicle tax passed to the Treasury every year," said Oliver Morley, chief executive of the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency.

"We write to every registered vehicle keeper in the UK to remind them when their tax is due and we have introduced a range of measures to make vehicle tax easy to pay. At the same time we are taking action against those who are determined to break the law."

But RAC chief engineer David Bizley said: "These are very worrying and disappointing statistics indeed. Sadly, the concerns we raised about the number of car tax evaders going up at the time the tax disc was consigned to history have become a reality.

<b>The loss in revenue for the government is "significant", he said, having risen from £35m in 2013 to an estimated £80m now "and, it has to be pointed out, far exceeds the forecast £10m efficiency saving".</b>

He called for the survey to be repeated in a year's time to test whether the new system was largely to blame.

"We really cannot afford for this to increase again for the sake of both road safety and the country's finances. Hopefully, much of the increase in evasion is due to the system being new and these figures will reduce as motorists become more familiar with how it works."
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
MacV2

Re: Untaxed UK vehicles double after paper tax disc abolishe

Post by MacV2 »

I forgot to renew mine...

I did it within a month of it running out tho...No Idea if the new tax period is from the old one running out or from the renewal date...

Did I get a reminder...? Did I fek... :lol:
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

That's no surprise to me. By doing away with the paper tax disc, anyone with an ounce of common sense knew that would happen IMHO,

Chris.
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssh ffs dont let on lol :eek2
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
alanfjones1411

Post by alanfjones1411 »

Tax system wrong anyway.Bike is £92 to tax and only got two wheels,My wife's car is £30 and got four wheels + same size engine. :crazy:
SO WHEN DOES THIS OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER KICK IN
bazza696

Post by bazza696 »

alanfjones1411 wrote:Tax system wrong anyway.Bike is £92 to tax and only got two wheels,My wife's car is £30 and got four wheels + same size engine. :crazy:
It's an emissions tax, your bike pumps out as much if not more nasties than your wives car, that's why cyclists don't pay to use the highway.
Sir-knob-head

Post by Sir-knob-head »

Vehicle tax? What's that?

I have 3 bikes. I rotate them. Never get caught :-)

Joking. At least they're not taxing air yet Although vat. Income tax etc. Maybe they are but hiding it within these ...........
Idiots exist everywhere
Doesn't mean you have to argue with them

Live to ride. Ride to live
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

bazza696 wrote:
alanfjones1411 wrote:Tax system wrong anyway.Bike is £92 to tax and only got two wheels,My wife's car is £30 and got four wheels + same size engine. :crazy:
It's an emissions tax, your bike pumps out as much if not more nasties than your wives car, that's why cyclists don't pay to use the highway.
what about them chuffin great ships and bloody planes then?
missing the noise, not the vibes. However never say never!
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

bigtwinthing wrote:
what about them chuffin great ships and bloody planes then?
Won't fit in my garage :-(
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
darkember

Post by darkember »

If you use the DD option it will auto start a new year. Not sure if it checks Mot before doing so.
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

I do it DD and it just comes out 1st of every month .
Tbh I don't even think about it any more