Fuel consumption and camchain tension

General Bike chat
jchesshyre

Fuel consumption and camchain tension

Post by jchesshyre »

I haven't done a scientific test to verify this*, but I'm sure my fuel consumption has improved quite significantly (5-10 more miles per tank) and consistently since installing manual camchain tensioners. Can this only be a coincidence or is it possible that running the chains at a slightly lower tension than with autos (as I imagine they are with MCCTs set at 7mm freeplay) improves fuel consumption?

Anyone else found this difference?

*I'm hardly going to put the autos back in am I?!
tony.mon

Re: Fuel consumption and camchain tension

Post by tony.mon »

It shouldn't make that much of a difference.
The tensioner doesn't put a lot of pressure on the chain, and the chain runs against a nice slippery tensioner blade with nylon or PTFE runners, coated in oil.

The slack in the chain, especially when cold, will allow the cams to run degree or two retarded, so maybe that's what is giving you that effect.
The chain and sprocket design doesn't give exact control over cam timing, which is why for the sp1 and 2 they went for gear driven cams. More expensive, but better control of valve timing.

It could be that the engine is running more efficiently now that you're confidently able to use more revs. All engines have a peak efficiency at certain revs, and although Storm engine runs surprisingly well at lower revs they aren't efficient at low revs due to the size of the carbs.
Fuel efficiency improves with revs, up to a point.

If you like that result, try taking the scissor gear off the primary drive as well- that's about .5 bhp more power straight away.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
jchesshyre

Post by jchesshyre »

Hmm I suspected so. Tbh I haven't really been riding any differently since I changed the tensioners...I guess perhaps it's other small adjustments I've made since getting the bike like tweaking the pilot mixture, and also maybe because I've been using it a lot (10,000 miles in three months) the carbs have cleaned out a bit.
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

my fuel consumption is always a lot better at 70/80 than at lower speeds.. thats my excuse officer lol
the older i get,the faster i was :lol: