rear shock

General Bike chat
vtwin goody

rear shock

Post by vtwin goody »

ok lads the story is I looked at a storm for spares and tbh its been stood uncovered for 3yrs and looks to shot for me to bother but it does have a purple rear shock maybe nitron or Maxton ? what damage if any would be done with it just sitting there,any advice welcome cheers
VTR Phoenix

Re: rear shock

Post by VTR Phoenix »

Rusted bolts, bearings shot, brakes shot and rebuild required, carbs strip and clean, tank either rusted or gummed up, fuel tap require rebuild, fork seals probably shot, clutch and brake MC's strip and rebuild, clutch pack stuck and replacement required, total engine flush before starting and turn over by hand before, check cam chains and CCT's for damage before starting, starter motor poss rebuild required. Sure I've missed some things. What did you want it for spares? If to get back on the road and doing the work yourself including new tyres could cost upwards of £500 plus a few weeks time.
If it aint broke, get your bloody hands off it!
StormyRob

Post by StormyRob »

Sounds like it's already pretty rough. Could you not even put a cover over it? Won't help much if it never moves but it's something.
If you don't try you never know if you can do it.
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

visually you should be able to work out the condition fairly well

most obvious is a rusty spring, but it is easy to get powder coated so don't worry about that.

if the chromed rod is corroded, then the shock fecked, but if it is still clean, then you have a good shock that might work just as it is or at worst it might just need a service and oil & seal change..

only other area to look at is slack in the top and bottom rod end bearings but holding the rear wheel in the air and move it up and down while feeling for movement at the ends of the shock with your spare 3rd hand :D but again they can be replaced.

if it is a good shock, then it will be worth saving and servicing. just try and work out what make it is before investing.
if it is just a new spring on a Honda shock or a Hagon, then I wouldn't bother, but if Nitron or Maxton then save it.

post some photos and we can identify it
AMcQ
VTR Phoenix

Post by VTR Phoenix »

hahaha were you just asking about the rear shock, I thought you meant the whole bike hahaha.

yes as above lol.
If it aint broke, get your bloody hands off it!
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Nitron use a turquoise spring...

Maxton use purple...

But you can get just the springs from Hyperpro who also use a purple spring so it may just be a resprung Storm one...

This was a resprung std Storm shoke with Hyperpro spring was on The wonky Donkey...

Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
vtwin goody

Post by vtwin goody »

thanks for replies lads big help :thumbup: might go for another look but looks pretty much like the pic above
Steve6088

Post by Steve6088 »

If a standard shock resprung with a maxton spring, it will have a special collar installed to keep the spring in place. They've done this to the two shocks I've sent them in the past for re springing.

Standard springs are slightly cone shaped.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Steve6088 wrote:If a standard shock resprung with a maxton spring, it will have a special collar installed to keep the spring in place. They've done this to the two shocks I've sent them in the past for re springing.

Standard springs are slightly cone shaped.
I also had a Maxton spring on my standard Firestorm shock at one point. As Steve points out, Maxton use a collar fitted at one end of the spring, the reason for this is due to the spring not being tapered at one end like the original standard Firestorm spring is, the Maxton spring is the same diameter from top to bottom.

As Al (AMcQ46) points out, the shock shaft (damper rod) is the main thing to check for rust/pitting, the rest will most likely be serviceable, but you need to find out if it's just a standard shock with an after market spring first even if the damper rod is good. Have a look on Ebay to see what the standard shock looks like for comparison, or post up a photo or two for us to take a look, the give away will be the adjusters, especially the one near the bottom,

Chris.
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

Got his one and another spare if the shock body/damper rod is knackered and you want to swap the spring. Probable Mac has about 20 too.
vtwin goody

Post by vtwin goody »

thanks a lot lads looking like its a standard one resprung
vardypeeps

Post by vardypeeps »

Doesn't look too bad if it's been sat for 3 years! I'd sand it down gently and re-paint that.
Suppose you would just need to check the plate that holds the spring on is still ok?