carb breather

General Bike chat
alanfjones1411

carb breather

Post by alanfjones1411 »

I just read on facebook that if you point the two breather tubes on the carbs downwards it will stop the carb farts.Does this work, and if so why don't every body do it ? :?
SO WHEN DOES THIS OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER KICK IN
lloydie

Re: carb breather

Post by lloydie »

Nope ! Don't believe anything you read on fb .

Pulling out and letting the carb overflow pipes hang down stops the front cylinder from flooding under extreme braking .

Getting rid of the carb farts is a lot harder .
You need to have the carbs correctly setup (balanced and jetted)
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

The purpose of doing that it to stop the engine stalling under heavy braking.

http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 96#p396467

edt - As Lloydie said, somebody on FB is feeding 'alternative facts' into the mix.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

I totally agree with Lloydie and Wicky, that FB post is wrong,

Chris.
alanfjones1411

Post by alanfjones1411 »

W@nkers. Thought it was too good to true.
SO WHEN DOES THIS OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER KICK IN
bertye

Post by bertye »

Wicky wrote:The purpose of doing that it to stop the engine stalling under heavy braking.

http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 96#p396467

edt - As Lloydie said, somebody on FB is feeding 'alternative facts' into the mix.
I am so pleased that I found this. When I get a new bike, one of the 1st thing I do, is get the feel of the front brake and work up to to maximum that is possible to get from them. No good waiting to find out in an emergency and go flying of somewhere. So out in the middle of no were, slamming on the brakes till I get the tyre at it's limit, and chug chug chug, O what the heck is up know. I've been sold a duffer. It cleared once I was almost at a stand still. I thought that it could of been some muck stirred up by my madness. Was fine after that, till a few weeks back, and doing some county laneing, wide open throttle then braking, and the same thing happened again. Now with this fine information, I will sort out the pipes when I fit my fuel pump. I hate these Vacuum taps that only work when cranking over the engine, which is no fun when the cab's have dried out. When I sorted out my VF I had years ago, I just waited for the ticking from the pump to stop, and would fire up instantly.
Last edited by bertye on Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

If you do a emergency stop and the front cylinder floods it takes a few miles for it to clear !
Not nice running on one cylinder .
Also If you do intend to reach the braking limits make sure the tyres and brakes and suspension is in tip top condition ! Wouldn't want you to bin it
bertye

Post by bertye »

Braking limits are just that. If it is the forks that are the limit then that is it. If it is the brakes them self, the same, the limit is the limit, what ever it the weakest part ( which is me). Just to say, there is nowt wrong with any of the parts on my bike, plus the bike has less that 13,000 on the clock.
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

mine was pissing me off at track days until i cut mine and pointed them down. but iv never really had carbs farts anyhow.
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

I read the Facebook post and the correct reason for pointing the tubes down was given. Although I can't remember exactly where, with the post about moving the tubes or as a correction by someone else.