Pair leaking into crank case?

General Bike chat
Thedude

Pair leaking into crank case?

Post by Thedude »

I have a ticking sound like an exhaust leak but there is no leak I pretty sure. I have just put on the original cans as the slipons it had were too noisy and I had a vibration I thought was a lean ping at cruise.

Anyway, go back a month, and I checked the valve clearances. When I started the bike there was a decent puffing from the timing cover plug holes as I forgot to put the in (Much more than I expected).

Fast forward to the more restrictive mufflers, I now have a n exhaust leak ticking sound and a sort of rough engine under hard acceleration. Not a misfire, just coarse engine pulses.

Any chance the orings from the pair system are leaking and pushing exhaust into the case and up into the carbs through pcv?
Wicky

Re: Pair leaking into crank case?

Post by Wicky »

What condition were the graphite seals situated between the headers and link pipes? and the clamps? (I recommend aftermarket corrosion resistant fully stainless mikalor w4 clamps)

Also there are copper crush gaskets between the manifold / header that you could try replacing.

https://www.bike-parts-honda.com/pieces ... STORM.html
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

A lean ping(knocking) at cruise is pretty unlikely, it usually only happens, ifat all, under hard acceleration and high load, such as making the engine pull too high a gear.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

can you not just remove the pairs system and use blanking plates at least to try and rule that out>
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
popkat

Post by popkat »

To eliminate the pair as a cause Blank the hoses and airbox, flip the pair reeds over in the covers, no need for blanking plates. There's no PCV (pair control valve) on these, it's not an electric system.

http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
Thedude

Post by Thedude »

It now looks like a plain old ordinary exhaust leak, not the exotic teaser I have advertised :oops: I tried the tube to the ear and it showed nothing. I then saw a method on YouTube using a shop vacuum. The exhaust of the vacuum into one of the pipes, tape over the other and some carwash in a squirted. Hey Preston, bubbles at all three of the clamped fittings. The graphite seals all looked like new but I guess they're not new enough. At least I now have something better than mowing the yard to do tomorrow.

As for what I thought was a lean pinging, it dosent have that vibration with the stock cans, but it was like a laboring engine vibe with the noisy ones. It was 80kmph at 3000rpm. Are those too low an rpm for this motor anyhow, the louder note did make it more fun.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

These bikes often have a slight leak because the slits cut into the outer pipe at each union allow gas to leak past the clamp.

You can get a good seal if you use high temp silicon as well as the graphite compressible seals.
The compressible seals need to be replaced every time they are taken apart for the best results.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Thedude

Post by Thedude »

Waiting for the silicone to dry for 24hrs. I pulled the seals out, about 1/4 destroying them. Cleaned pipes ends with prepwash generous amounts of silicone inside the bell end pipes push seals back in and siliconed outside of engine pipes making sure to drive them past the flange.

At $25 a seal, it's an expensive prospect to remove the zorst. Hopefully the silicone seal holds as it's my everyday commuter.

Thanks for all your replies everyone.