Xl1000

General Bike chat
chric

Xl1000

Post by chric »

Xl1000 any good miss vtwin and want another.Just not a vtr want a more relaxed ride this time
Ill never be a sell out storm forever
lloydie

Re: Xl1000

Post by lloydie »

Plenty of storage for fish and chips
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

big comfy heavy sofa on wheels :thumbup: ....
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Varastorm has one,

Chris.
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

sirch345 wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:43 am Varastorm has one,

Chris.
now thats a vara id like to have a ride on :clap:
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

fabiostar wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:00 pm
sirch345 wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:43 am Varastorm has one,

Chris.
now thats a vara id like to have a ride on :clap:
Me too. Not exactly standard is it :lol:

Chris.
Varastorm

Post by Varastorm »

I never ever thought I'd buy a Varadero XL1000. Aka the "Gravelwing" & it's no looker by any stretch.

I purchased mine from a friend who'd had a static junction tumble which broke his wife's leg with a pannier & somehow pierced the fuel tank (not with the pannier :lol:)

This is a big heavy bike. Once it goes beyond a certain angle forget about saving it, especially with a full tank of fuel.

Once on the move though they lose the bulky feeling & turn into a surprisingly nimble bike.

With the carbed early bikes (mine) you're able to fit Vtr goodies & up the power to Vtr levels.

I'm not too sure what the fuel injection will allow you to do, but just swapping the cams will give you around a 10bhp hike in power.

All in all, it's turned into the best bike I've ever owned.

Like you mentioned Chric, it's all about the engine :thumbup:
chric

Post by chric »

Cheers vara thats made my mind up just need to save a few more pennys for one looking around 2300 can get a 2005 model for so itll be the fi model
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

Varastorm wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:38 pm I never ever thought I'd buy a Varadero XL1000. Aka the "Gravelwing" & it's no looker by any stretch.

I purchased mine from a friend who'd had a static junction tumble which broke his wife's leg with a pannier & somehow pierced the fuel tank (not with the pannier :lol:)

This is a big heavy bike. Once it goes beyond a certain angle forget about saving it, especially with a full tank of fuel.

Once on the move though they lose the bulky feeling & turn into a surprisingly nimble bike.

With the carbed early bikes (mine) you're able to fit Vtr goodies & up the power to Vtr levels.

I'm not too sure what the fuel injection will allow you to do, but just swapping the cams will give you around a 10bhp hike in power.

All in all, it's turned into the best bike I've ever owned.

Like you mentioned Chric, it's all about the engine :thumbup:

that write ups almost what I would say about the Tiger to be honest, except may be a bit more heavier and more high up
missing the noise, not the vibes. However never say never!
Varastorm

Post by Varastorm »

Yea, BTT, I never ever thought I'd fall for an "Adventure bike" must be an age thing :lol: Even Wicky's gone & bought one :lol:

Chric, the later Fi models are much more economical than the carbed version & the suspension was slightly improved too.

It's also worth mentioning that bit's like nice exhausts & trick suspension are rare & can be quite expensive when purchased separately.

Initially Chric, you might not be interested in having nice bouncy bounce or loud bits. But believe me you will enjoy this big overweight ugly bike & when the time comes to look for some goodies they'll cost you an arm & a leg.

Top tip, get one with the bits already on, you can always remove/swap for standard items. eBay if full of standard stuff :thumbup:

Also, there's a lot of nonsense written about the linked brakes, it's a load of crap. You'd never know they were linked apart from when you bleed them & they're great btw :thumbup:

Best time to get one is around this time of year, good luck :thumbup:
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

just to add to what vara said.. the guy i bought the castrol storm from used to use a varastorm at track days.. scary what sorta lap times he was getting. to the point a few of the power rangers complained it was dangerous lol... :thumbup: so they can go in the right hands :clap:
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

chric wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:22 pm Xl1000 any good miss vtwin and want another.Just not a vtr want a more relaxed ride this time
Realxed in what way?

XLs as pointed out peform similarly to the storm (though slightly detuned engine) but in a bulkier, taller & top heavier way. Hopefully you are at least 5' 10" (30" inside leg) as anything shorter than average can make adventure bikes a bit more of a challenge.

I got a Transalp 650 '01 a couple of years back and even that was a fair bit taller than the VTR and took some adjusting to. Still a fun, simple and relaxing ride - both around town and longer distances. Though I did the miss the VTR's horsies so I've treated myself to a '03 955 Tiger with FI etc. which can be described as a motorcycling Range Rover. viewtopic.php?f=30&t=41668

Transalp will be for sale in the Spring.

or

It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
chric

Post by chric »

Dont like the transalp looks like a skinny xl1000.some nice ones on ebay now between 2600 2000 so on my watch list.I want chrome bling so keeping my eye out on tatty bits :)
chric

Post by chric »

Im 6foot1 and 19 stone with 29 inch legs ill just put my hikeing boots to make the inch up.so i wont float off.
chric

Post by chric »

fabiostar wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:04 am just to add to what vara said.. the guy i bought the castrol storm from used to use a varastorm at track days.. scary what sorta lap times he was getting. to the point a few of the power rangers complained it was dangerous lol... :thumbup: so they can go in the right hands :clap:
I used to get a regular 160mph on storm one handed doing wheelies ask lads when i went up dales.seriously though owt over 70mph im not intrested spoils bikeing for me like to look around but get a bigger buzz getting to 60 quick