Different fan temperature switch

General Bike chat
Thedude

Different fan temperature switch

Post by Thedude »

Hi all, starting to get warm now in Brisbane for the city traffic commute and bike is sitting 100 to 105 degrees and getting tappety.

I run a 10w40 full synthetic that has done about 3000kms this service.

I think the commute is cooking the oil and as thinking about having the fan operating at on 95 off at 90. I can buy different thermofan switches but wanted to see your thoughts.

1. Temp range setting,
2. Thread size

Aftermarket switches come in 85 to 90 as well as above and a 14mm thread. Is this the right thread?

Dude.
Thedude

Re: Different fan temperature switch

Post by Thedude »

Hi me.

The thread size is apparently 16mm and the replacement needs to be short. The available aftermarket option seem to be brass. Not sure how the brass goes screwed directly into the aluminum radiator.

The superhawk forum has guys using a Nissan switch.

Me.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

There's nothing like replying to your own questions :) :lol:

Sorry I can't advise you,

Chris.
Thedude

Post by Thedude »

sirch345 wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:12 pm There's nothing like replying to your own questions :) :lol:

Sorry I can't advise you,

Chris.
Worst part is when you don't agree and 'turn the tap off'. 8)

I remember on my gs500, I fitted braided brake lines from BTR (over your part of the world -and good vendor too). Anyway, the copper washers started going funny where the made contact with the alloy master cylinder, should have kept the factory aluminium washers.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

As an alternative, fit a bigger oil cooler.
The four row SP or blade one can be made to fit.

That works well when dealing with extra heat when using an ignition advancer or high comp pistons.
That are some how to's in the knowledgebase, and you can convert to braided oil lines while you're there.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Thedude

Post by Thedude »

Hmm oil cooler, hadn't't given it much thought. Looking at the size of the factory one compared to the coolant radiator, it seems like a token offering. I believe that oil transfers heat well so maybe that's why it's smaller. I'll take a look. For those that have done a bigger cooler, do you see any notice able difference?
E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

Thedude wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:35 am For those that have done a bigger cooler, do you see any notice able difference?
Yes by several degrees..and it was a repeatable observation as I did the cooler swap on my first SH and noticed cooler running temps in stop and go summer traffic..... Rode my second SH stock for a bit, then swapped over all the good parts from my older one.... watched temps drop with just a cooler swap.

This winter slow season (I get to ride year round where I live) bigger radiators and a second cooling fan with its own temp switch go on.
Marquez Motorcycle Services
Solutions to recurring maintenance
Race/Adventure ride event prep
Post event services

Total Rider
Your path to a TX motorcycle license
And advanced Rider training
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Agreed, a noticeable difference.
When I fitted an ignition advancer and high comp pistons mine would overheat in stationary traffic if in hot weather, but with the uprated cooler it very rarely did it.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
alanfjones1411

Post by alanfjones1411 »

Don't know if he still has it,but Kev L had an SP1 oil cooler and modified brackets and pipework for sale.
SO WHEN DOES THIS OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER KICK IN
Thedude

Post by Thedude »

I like the idea of not loading the alternator up with more fan time and it looks like the oil cooler does the job. I'll keep an eye out for one out this way.

Thanks for the replies.