New handlebar

General Bike chat
jzape2005

New handlebar

Post by jzape2005 »

Hello everyone

I have a fork holder for Suzuki GS Bandit, coincidentally matches the fork measurements of the Honda VTR.

I am going to try to put it to see if it works well, I am old enough and my back is beginning to complain, has anyone ever tried this?

I know there are kits for this model but the price is expensive. Let's see who helps me, thanks.

ImageImageImage

Enviat des del meu Aquaris M5 usant Tapatalk

AMCQ46

Re: New handlebar

Post by AMCQ46 »

I don't think I have heard anyone using a bandit top yoke, but it looks like it will be close, so best action is what you described ... put it on and try.

the biggest problem doing a flatbar yoke for the firestorm is the fact that the forks stick a long way up through the yokes when you take off the clipons, and therefore you need the new handlebar clamps quite far back on the yoke to miss them.... the centreline of the the new handlebar needs to be sitting above the centreline of the steering stem for the bars to sit low and also miss the fork tops.

If the bandit parts don't work, I will be selling my top yoke conversion in the next few days, so that will give you a plan B
AMcQ
jzape2005

Post by jzape2005 »

AMCQ46 wrote:I don't think I have heard anyone using a bandit top yoke, but it looks like it will be close, so best action is what you described ... put it on and try.

the biggest problem doing a flatbar yoke for the firestorm is the fact that the forks stick a long way up through the yokes when you take off the clipons, and therefore you need the new handlebar clamps quite far back on the yoke to miss them.... the centreline of the the new handlebar needs to be sitting above the centreline of the steering stem for the bars to sit low and also miss the fork tops.

If the bandit parts don't work, I will be selling my top yoke conversion in the next few days, so that will give you a plan B
Ok. okay. Thank you.

This week I will try it.

The doubt that I have is that it will change a lot the weight distribution in the front end,

If it's not going well, I'll get in touch for plan B.

Greetings from Catalunya. And apologies for my bad English.

AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

I don't have any problems with the handling after the conversion, I have reduced teh preload on the front forks slightly and dropped them in the yokes to get more weight onto teh front wheel and it works great. the only thing you need to learn is to have a lighter grip on the bars as you have so much more leverage.
AMcQ
jzape2005

Post by jzape2005 »

AMCQ46 wrote:I don't have any problems with the handling after the conversion, I have reduced teh preload on the front forks slightly and dropped them in the yokes to get more weight onto teh front wheel and it works great. the only thing you need to learn is to have a lighter grip on the bars as you have so much more leverage.
Hi. thank you for your interest, I put a picture of how it would be, is only presented, and you are right probably touch the fork on the handlebar.

but I do not get discouraged I will continue thinking

ImageImageImage

jzape2005

Post by jzape2005 »

jzape2005 wrote:
AMCQ46 wrote:I don't have any problems with the handling after the conversion, I have reduced teh preload on the front forks slightly and dropped them in the yokes to get more weight onto teh front wheel and it works great. the only thing you need to learn is to have a lighter grip on the bars as you have so much more leverage.
Hi. thank you for your interest, I put a picture of how it would be, is only presented, and you are right probably touch the fork on the handlebar.

ImageImageImage

the funny thing is that they match up the screws of the ignition key and the hole in the center of the fork holder

jzape2005

Post by jzape2005 »

jzape2005 wrote:
jzape2005 wrote:

ImageImageImage

the funny thing is that they match up the screws of the ignition key and the hole in the center of the fork holder

the handlebar that I have put is not the right one, it has to be one of flatter and shorter, but it does not look bad, if it goes well the transformation comes out very well of price.

Buy the fork holder for about € 25, now I will look at a new handlebar.

Do you know of any handlebars that can be put on

grumpyfrog

Post by grumpyfrog »

Good find if it works. Hope it does.

're bars. Renthal are what your looking for, you will need to know the diameter of the bar holders as they do them in 2 sizes. Take your pick from flat bars, think this is what Kev is going to use, ultra low bars (Are the most popular, Al will confirm), or low, I had these and are very comfortable.
Whatever way you go, you'll be looking at doing some fairing trimming where the reservoirs hit the sides.
And there will be a slight requirement to change your riding style, it won't slow you down that's for sure.

Keep us updated on the work.
Don't hassle me
I'll get there at some time
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

To avoid cutting lots off your faring you need to keep the rise of the yoke and the new bars fairly low.
As you see Nellie I got the bar clamps just over 1" above the yoke then I used rental ultra low super bike bars.
They do a true flat bar which has zero rise and only a sweep back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AMcQ
jzape2005

Post by jzape2005 »

AMCQ46 wrote:To avoid cutting lots off your faring you need to keep the rise of the yoke and the new bars fairly low.
As you see Nellie I got the bar clamps just over 1" above the yoke then I used rental ultra low super bike bars.

good job.

I see that we also have to cut the fairing a bit, luckily I have another spare but another color, so if I'm wrong I will not have a very big dislike.

This week I will post pictures of the work.

Thanks for your interest. a hug

jzape2005

Post by jzape2005 »

jzape2005 wrote:
AMCQ46 wrote:To avoid cutting lots off your faring you need to keep the rise of the yoke and the new bars fairly low.

good job.

I see that we also have to cut the fairing a bit, luckily I have another spare but another color, so if I'm wrong I will not have a very big dislike.

JobImage

jzape2005

Post by jzape2005 »

jzape2005 wrote:

good job.

JobImage

Varastorm

Post by Varastorm »

If this works, I'd imagine it being an early candidate for Vtr modification of the year 2018 :thumbup:

Will the lower yoke fit also? It might be a stronger item than the oem Honda one :thumbup:

Good luck :thumbup:
jzape2005

Post by jzape2005 »

Varastorm wrote:If this works, I'd imagine it being an early candidate for Vtr modification of the year 2018 Image

Will the lower yoke fit also? It might be a stronger item than the oem Honda one Image

Good luck Image
Hi.

At the moment the only problem is to make the central hole a little larger, from 23m / m to 25 m / m. This afternoon I hope to have it done and ride it tomorrow.

Another obstacle is to be able to remove the ignition key. I do not see how to loosen the screws, do you know how I can get it out?

jzape2005

Post by jzape2005 »

jzape2005 wrote:
Varastorm wrote:If this works, I'd imagine it being an early candidate for Vtr modification of the year 2018 Image

Will the lower yoke fit also? It might be a stronger item than the oem Honda one Image

Good luck Image
Hi.

At the moment the only problem is to make the central hole a little larger, from 23m / m to 25 m / m. This afternoon I hope to have it done and ride it tomorrow.

Another obstacle is to be able to remove the ignition key. I do not see how to loosen the screws, do you know how I can get it out?

Another option I had in my head was to put a fork holder from Honda Varadero, but I think the forks are 2m / m larger, from 41 to 43. I'm not sure of the measurements