Bike lift [with added pics]

General Bike chat
VTRDark

Re: Bike lift [with added pics]

Post by VTRDark »

Looks like a nice bit of kit that. :thumbup: My gawd I thought my bike had rusty bolt syndrome or are those crancase bolts anodized gold :eek2 I would advise you not to attempt to undo those header bolts looking at it. If you ever decide to remove the exhaust downpipes then use a nut splitter on them.
==============================Enter the Darkside
TaxiDriver

Post by TaxiDriver »

VTRDark wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:02 pm Looks like a nice bit of kit that. :thumbup: My gawd I thought my bike had rusty bolt syndrome or are those crancase bolts anodized gold :eek2 I would advise you not to attempt to undo those header bolts looking at it. If you ever decide to remove the exhaust downpipes then use a nut splitter on them.
Jeezo......a nut cracker!!

Yeh they are a bit corroded.....I bought some +GAS to soak them in over the next few days....
and then use a cracker....
And yes they are gold ano.....thankfully.
TaxiDriver

Post by TaxiDriver »

Thanks for that input DARK,nut splitter now ordered.......
sirch345
Site Admin

Re: Bike lift

Post by sirch345 »

TaxiDriver wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:49 pm So I've got a new laptop and here duly are some pics of the lift in action.....

Eargh....gross......just bought some Harpic Max10 to deal with the downpipes. 8O

Anyhoo its a solid bit of kit and essential for bad back sufferes.
That bike lift certainly does look some piece of kit I agree :thumbup:

Chris.
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

thats a well handy looking bit of kit and easy to store......as a few have said those downpipe nuts will cause major headmelt... splitters the only way
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
bazza696

Post by bazza696 »

Nice bit of kit, but for me it wouldn't work as I have limited space in the mancave, so once finished working on the storm I push it in the corner out the way.

The adda lift does come off the swing arm pivot, but the guy at abba will supply new fittings so the lift will come off the lower engine mount bolt, so you can get to the swing arm.
TaxiDriver

Post by TaxiDriver »

The main stability is gained by the footrests being anchored to one of the brackets.
This does mean that you can't whip off the shock or swingarm but I'm just about to
make a couple of brackets that will lift the bike under the subframe so I can work on the arm and shock.
TaxiDriver

Post by TaxiDriver »

Can you see where I'm going with this......

Well basically under the rear subframe and then out with swingarm and shock.
Just hope the tatty ally tube don't break,cost £2,went to a local ally supplier
for a 36"x1" bar.....kin'£30
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Good luck! Watch the bends where the brackets are as they might need reinforcement.

First time I needed to hoist the rear end to replace rt foot peg hanger I simply strung tow rope between two fixed gateposts to support the subframe. Next door neighbour looked at me oddly but he seemed to understand the method behind my madness.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
TaxiDriver

Post by TaxiDriver »

[quote=Wicky post_id=458138 time=1519558146 user_id=1371]
Good luck! Watch the bends where the brackets are as they might need reinforcement.

The plate runs all the way under the brackets,I just have'nt fitted a bolt yet.
I have every confidence..........
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Wicky wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:29 am Good luck! Watch the bends where the brackets are as they might need reinforcement.

First time I needed to hoist the rear end to replace rt foot peg hanger I simply strung tow rope between two fixed gateposts to support the subframe. Next door neighbour looked at me oddly but he seemed to understand the method behind my madness.
I liked your wooden gantry you made Wicky :thumbup:

I think Wicky could be right about needing a bit more reinforcement on the 90* brackets. Good to see you though having a go at building your own T/D :D

Chris.
TaxiDriver

Post by TaxiDriver »

sirch345 wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:04 pm
Wicky wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:29 am Good luck! Watch the bends where the brackets are as they might need reinforcement.

I liked your wooden gantry you made Wicky :thumbup:

I think Wicky could be right about needing a bit more reinforcement on the 90* brackets. Good to see you though having a go at building your own T/D :D

Chris.
Don't forget that 75% of the bikes weight will be supported by the other bracket
that rests under the sump,so the weight on the subframe is minimal....I hope :lol:
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

TaxiDriver wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:46 pm Don't forget that 75% of the bikes weight will be supported by the other bracket
that rests under the sump,so the weight on the subframe is minimal....I hope :lol:
Yes I had forgotten that, so you could be okay :thumbup:
All you need is a bit of warmth first :wink:

Chris.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

The turning moment undoing or doing up the suspension linkage bolts will increase the loading on the rear support, it's not just static loading you need to factor in.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
TaxiDriver

Post by TaxiDriver »

tony.mon wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:01 am The turning moment undoing or doing up the suspension linkage bolts will increase the loading on the rear support, it's not just static loading you need to factor in.
Probably best practice to loosen/torque up all nuts and bolts before lifting the bike up,ie;
on the ground.