Bracing a standard swingarm

General Bike chat
TaxiDriver

Bracing a standard swingarm

Post by TaxiDriver »

Back in the day you could take your Bandit s/arm to JMC @Kirby to have it braced.pretty good job,underslung
and kept the original chain adj
I can't find any trace of JMC now,does anyone know of a firm around the N/West that can do this work.
Wicky

Re: Bracing a standard swingarm

Post by Wicky »

Source a blade brace - hack it off and transplant onto the Storm up top. Have a search as it's been done a few times.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
TaxiDriver

Post by TaxiDriver »

Wicky wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:27 pm Source a blade brace - hack it off and transplant onto the Storm up top. Have a search as it's been done a few times.
Cheers,just quickly,can I use original rear caliper mount using this mod?
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

No. You need a 929 or 954 blade caliper bracket, and weld a small oblong onto the arm it can slide on.
Or you could fabricate your own bracket and use an underslung caliper from a triumph or similar.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

To see old pics you'll need to use Chrome with the photobucket-embed-fix hack installed

viewtopic.php?f=41&t=40234&p=439542
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
mik_str

Post by mik_str »

tony.mon wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:54 pm No. You need a 929 or 954 blade caliper bracket, and weld a small oblong onto the arm it can slide on.
Or you could fabricate your own bracket and use an underslung caliper from a triumph or similar.
you sure about that? I have never heard of anyone using one from a 929 or 954.

I have just such a modded arm and IIRC, simply use the bracket that mates with the donor arm (been a long time though)... Do a search here or on the superhawkforum, it`s well detailed and spelled-out....
99 VTR1000F Firestorm, a.k.a. The Carbon Express
Shauned71

Post by Shauned71 »

You want the swing arm and the caliper bracket from any early blade up to 1998. As well as cutting the brace off to fit to your storms swing arm you also want the caliper bracket guide from the blade swing arm... The guide on the Storm is a block that the bracket slides over... the blade has a channel that it's bracket slides into so you need to transfer that over too.

I have done this to my bike... I did all the cutting, lining up and marked where everything had to go and dropped the swing arm into a local fabricators to weld up for me.
TaxiDriver

Post by TaxiDriver »

Thanks for the reply's,I've decided to sack it off,you buggers are making me see opportunity's
all over the place.
I think I'll stick to strip/clean/ride for this season,after all I still haven't ridden one of these yet!!!! 8O :lol:
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

storms are like pringles..once you start you cant bloody stop :clap:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

Shauned71 wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:17 pm You want the swing arm and the caliper bracket from any early blade up to 1998.
I do think thats the way most have done it...Never heard of using a 929 model caliper bracket...
I think 893 or 919 series Fireblade (1992- 1998 I think)

I went another route........and damn near killed myself :lol: Dont highly recommend that way, though its all worked out now.
Marquez Motorcycle Services
Solutions to recurring maintenance
Race/Adventure ride event prep
Post event services

Total Rider
Your path to a TX motorcycle license
And advanced Rider training
8541Hawk

Post by 8541Hawk »

On mine I just used the bracket that came with the swingarm.

Like the others have said you need to swap the male stay for the female one from the donor arm but it is a pretty easy project. :thumbup:
Loud pipes don't save lives, knowing how to ride your bike will save your life.
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

8541Hawk wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:42 am On mine I just used the bracket that came with the swingarm.

Like the others have said you need to swap the male stay for the female one from the donor arm but it is a pretty easy project. :thumbup:
Same here :thumbup:
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Don't forget that your Storm hugger will no longer fit, you can get the combined hugger chain guard from a Blade and I think that an R1 version fits as well but couldn't tell you which years, check to see which model number fits other bikes on a site like Powerbronze.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.