Oil Cooler Lines Pressure ???

General Bike chat
cheekykev

Oil Cooler Lines Pressure ???

Post by cheekykev »

I'm having a go at making some Oil cooler pipe lines out of Stainless Steel tube so I can get rid of those awful looking chrome ones that just rust anyway.
Does anyone know what pressure the pump sends the Oil round at :?: the top connection is not a problem, I can just make new flanges and weld them to the pipes, Its the bottom connection I'm more bothered about because I was thinking of cutting the existing pipe just before the the rubber braided pipe connector ie the last bit of the chrome pipe and using a 10mm hydaulic compression fitting, or maybe Sleeve over the joint and silver solder it, so I would just like to test the lines when I've finished making them, just to be sure, to be sure :lol:
Last edited by cheekykev on Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Like what you do
Do what you like
He who wonders isn't always lost
tony.mon

Re: Oil Cooler Lines Pressure ???

Post by tony.mon »

A hydraulic fitting is fine, because the line pressure in hydraulic lines far exceeds the oil pressure that the little oil pump on a slack chain in a Storm will reach.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

85psi at 5000RPM on a warm motor..could be a bit more than that if you revved the piss out of a cold motor or used some flavor of oil that was significantly higher viscosity then called for
Marquez Motorcycle Services
Solutions to recurring maintenance
Race/Adventure ride event prep
Post event services

Total Rider
Your path to a TX motorcycle license
And advanced Rider training
E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

cheekykev wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:42 pmIts the bottom connection I'm more bothered about because I was thinking of cutting the existing pipe just before the the rubber braided pipe connector ie the last bit of the chrome pipe and using a 10mm hydaulic compression fitting, or maybe Sleeve over the joint and silver solder it, so I would just like to test the lines when I've finished making them, just to be sure, to be sure :lol:
I've made two sets now..both for after market coolers so cant help with upper fittings.

One set for lower fittings, I cut the rubber line and crimp off and had new line and steel crimp sleeve installed on the stock fitting.
Another set I used a steel AN fitting and bored the ID to fit the stock steel fitting, brazed them together, and then used SS line and standard AN fittings from there.

I can tell you there is a reason the OEM used that steel tube vice rubber line the whole way... Conformity to the motor.. rubber (stainless steel braid covered, but still rubber)lines really stick out.. If you like the look, alls well. If you want those lines to blend in and not stand out....not so much.

My next set will be much like the stock ones a mix of hard line and flex... but the hard lines have bends I cant reproduce by hand so far..Need to have them bent up on a machine I think...
Post event services

Total Rider
E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

Had not considered it till just this moment, but there may be a way to get around the funky stock lower oil line fitting..need to go look at a spare engine or set of cases I have, but, we might be able to drill and tap the block for direct attachment of a fitting, screwed into the case.
Post event services

Total Rider
E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

And I have not confirmed these fit our VTR yet,. but Im thinking they will.
Adapters for the funky lower oil line connectors http://www.cyclexchange.net/Oil%20Syste ... 20Page.htm
Post event services

Total Rider