loobman

General Bike chat
Dickiebig

loobman

Post by Dickiebig »

Now were should I put this.......my Loobman...... I can hear those brain cells whirring away :D
I did a search but all the pic's have disappeared.
AMCQ46

Re: loobman

Post by AMCQ46 »

I will see if I can rediscover my photos, but basically it is stuck to the side of the battery box on the chain side of the bike
AMcQ
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

Mine's here. I've since tidied up the hose routing.

another shot

"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)
grumpyfrog

Post by grumpyfrog »

yip, that's where mine was
Don't hassle me
I'll get there at some time
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

Oiling chains is a subject full of misunderstanding and bullsh1t. DID recommend cleaning and an application of 80wt gear oil every now and then. Some people say chain oilers are a waste of time and actually increase chain wear by smothering a chain in sticky oil which forms a grinding paste.

I'm an auld b'stard and remember boiling lightweight non-Oring chains in graphite grease before every event. They would go on tight and were hanging like granny's tits at the end of the day. Modern Oring chains are different. Chains don't "stretch". The pins and bushes wear, introduce more clearance which makes the chain longer under tension. It also makes it shorter under compression and that was a good way to measure chain wear on those old non-Oring chains. To reduce this wear they come with grease in this area which is sealed in by two Orings. There is no way you can replace that grease. What is important is to maintain the Oring so that the grease stays in situ for as long as possible.

The best way to keep these Orings in good shape is to keep them clean and lightly oiled. A LIGHTWEIGHT oil in a chain oiler can do this as long as you don't mind a load of oil being flung off. This shedding of oil cleans the chain. I use ATF in my oiler.

Finally, don't be seduced by the concept of lubricating the rollers. This is a bonus but not significant as long as the rollers roll and produce no sliding contact with the sprockets.

Lecture over,
xxxx
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)
grumpyfrog

Post by grumpyfrog »

used engine oil in mine for the same reason. yes you need to be careful of the amount, but a petrol soaked rag lifts it all off the back wheel. Nah smoking allowed during this process mind.
Don't hassle me
I'll get there at some time
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

grumpyfrog wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:03 pm Nah smoking allowed during this process mind.
Someone's after my Health and safety badge :clap:
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
TaxiDriver

Post by TaxiDriver »

I have a scottoiler on the storm,I also ran one on my Bandit 12,after fitting I never had to adjust the chain again.....unlike before when every ride out meant coming home with a slack chain.
Dickiebig

Post by Dickiebig »

Cheers guys
Thanks for the info and the lecture :D. I to am an old fart and used to wait till my mother went out to boil my chain on her range kitchen that is and not rover!