anti-anodising!

General Bike chat
fatfreddy000

anti-anodising!

Post by fatfreddy000 »

hi all,
the mission with my storm was always to get her mechanically sweet and not bother with the cosmetics too much to save money and also because i live in London and pretty things get nicked!
and she's very nearly there... the work has been been pretty extensive.
i am now doing a few cosmetic bits, its kind of crept in and crossed over from the mechanical neccessities in terms of extracting and replacing rotten bolts and fastners etc with nice bits of new stainless.
anyway, to the point.
I've been de-blinging her.. that is removing all functionless shiny garbage.
next bits to go are the horrid orange anodised fixtures here and there (just don't fit in with an already pretty gaudy colour scheme of black, purple and mauve)
namely pillon foot pegs, clutch and brake levers, bar ends, and a few other naff bits.
i'm just wondering if i can easily get the anodised coating off those parts and leave them looking like fresh aluminium without damage..
i was thinking of trying a sodium hydroxide solution and gentle scrubbing but would love to hear from anybody who has tried something like this.. also tips on polishing the aluminium would be appreciated.
cheers folk..
“If all insects on Earth disappeared, within 50 years all life on Earth would end. If all human beings disappeared from the Earth, within 50 years all forms of life would flourish.” Biologist Jonas Salk
motojohn

Re: anti-anodising!

Post by motojohn »

You can do it with a caustic based oven cleaner I have done it before
If you think my attitude stinks ,you should smell my fingers !!
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Re: anti-anodising!

Post by Pete.L »

But be careful.
Those over cleaners will melt aluminium faster than anodising. If there are any exposed surfaces you could end up with some damaged foot pegs.

Pete.l
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal