Steering damper stroke query

General Bike chat
freeridenick

Steering damper stroke query

Post by freeridenick »

What length stroke is needed for an along-the-frame mounted damper? I've got 140mm in my head from somewhere but that seems very long.
AMCQ46

Re: Steering damper stroke query

Post by AMCQ46 »

Nick, I will try and remember to measure mine .... And the steering damper 8O
AMcQ
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

A bit here on steering damper length, although would be good to hear Al's conformation as well:-
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=29855&p

Chris.
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

Thanks Al, I'll be sure to use the longer measurement :wink:

Cheers for finding that link Chris. It's saved me forking out on one that was a tempting price but I now know is way too short.
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

nick iv just measured the one that was fitted to the castrol bike i bought that im fitting to the yellow bike and its stroke is 120mm :thumbup:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

my damper is 160 stroke, and its just long enough. BUT i have the fork clamp mounted on the outside of the fork leg, so it has the biggest linear displacement for the angle of rotation of the steering from lock to lock. if you mounted the fork clamp so the end of teh damper is inboard of the fork leg, then you can get away with a shorter stroke, but I don't know what that would be
AMcQ
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

AMCQ46 wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:03 pm my damper is 160 stroke, and its just long enough. BUT i have the fork clamp mounted on the outside of the fork leg, so it has the biggest linear displacement for the angle of rotation of the steering from lock to lock. if you mounted the fork clamp so the end of teh damper is inboard of the fork leg, then you can get away with a shorter stroke, but I don't know what that would be
Cheers Al.
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

AMCQ46 wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:03 pm my damper is 160 stroke, and its just long enough. BUT i have the fork clamp mounted on the outside of the fork leg, so it has the biggest linear displacement for the angle of rotation of the steering from lock to lock. if you mounted the fork clamp so the end of teh damper is inboard of the fork leg, then you can get away with a shorter stroke, but I don't know what that would be
There can be spacing issues with different position, as damper will move more to sides.

I can measure mine too, but in next week.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

freeridenick wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:34 am Thanks Al, I'll be sure to use the longer measurement :wink:

Cheers for finding that link Chris. It's saved me forking out on one that was a tempting price but I now know is way too short.
:thumbup:

Chris.