Troubles gear

General Bike chat
jzape2005

Troubles gear

Post by jzape2005 »

Hello everyone.

I have a problem with the change of gears, when passing from first speed to second makes a noise similar to "clonk" considerable. I changed the engine oil, sae 10w40 mineral, I also changed the seals of the clutch and hydraulic piston pump, new transmission kit, it has improved somewhat but it does not stop making that noise.

I fear the worst, any help will be much appreciated, excuse my English and a greeting

Enviat des del meu Aquaris M5 usant Tapatalk

jzape2005

Re: Troubles gear

Post by jzape2005 »

jzape2005 wrote:Hello everyone.

I have a problem with the change of gears, when passing from first speed to second makes a noise similar to "clonk" considerable. I changed the engine oil, sae 10w40 mineral, I also changed the seals of the clutch and hydraulic piston pump, new transmission kit, it has improved somewhat but it does not stop making that noise.

I fear the worst, any help will be much appreciated, excuse my English and a greeting

FotoImage

popkat

Post by popkat »

Check your chain tension, is it too tight ? is there a tight spot ?
Check to see if the front sprocket is worn and the rest of the chain and sprockets.
check rear sprocket carrier bearing

All these are to do with the final drive, I would check everything here first before anything else.

http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
jzape2005

Post by jzape2005 »

popkat wrote:Check your chain tension, is it too tight ? is there a tight spot ?
Check to see if the front sprocket is worn and the rest of the chain and sprockets.

All these are to do with the final drive, I would check everything here first before anything else.

Hello, thanks for your time.

The chain, pinion and rear plate are new.

I have not looked at the rear wheel bearing. But I think that if it were wrong I would clone with all the gears. it only does it when changing from first to second. the rest of marches enter all thin and smooth

jzape2005

Post by jzape2005 »

jzape2005 wrote:
popkat wrote:Check your chain tension, is it too tight ? is there a tight spot ?

Hello, thanks for your time.

The chain, pinion and rear plate are new.

I have not looked at the rear wheel bearing. But I think that if it were wrong I would clone with all the gears. it only does it when changing from first to second. the rest of marches enter all thin and smooth

The tires that go between the transmission plate and the rim are also new.

I have started the engine with the bike raised on an easel, I have rotated the wheel and the only thing I see is that it is jerky. I can not think of anything else.

Thank you

fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

they can be a bit clunky these old beasts going from 1st to second.. bleed you cltuch again just to make sure its engaging properly. is it worse when the motor is cold?
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
jzape2005

Post by jzape2005 »

fabiostar wrote:they can be a bit clunky these old beasts going from 1st to second.. bleed you cltuch again just to make sure its engaging properly. is it worse when the motor is cold?
It makes more noise with the hot engine, in cold it goes quite well.

Can it be oil?

I always put Castrol 20w40. I will try another brand. Motul is totally mineral, Castrol is semi-synthetic

Has anyone used Motul oil

fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

iv used Motul and had no problems. i know you may have done it but check your chain with you sitting on the bike incase its to loose/tight and bleed the clutch until you are certain all the air has gone.

i would be more worried if it was clunky through the higher gears... is your gear lever/linkage tight? between 1st and second is the biggest throw as it has to go through neutral aswell.
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
jzape2005

Post by jzape2005 »

fabiostar wrote:iv used Motul and had no problems. i know you may have done it but check your chain with you sitting on the bike incase its to loose/tight and bleed the clutch until you are certain all the air has gone.

i would be more worried if it was clunky through the higher gears... is your gear lever/linkage tight? between 1st and second is the biggest throw as it has to go through neutral aswell.
thank you, tomorrow I'll go through everything again, I hope I'm lucky. The only thing that I have not looked at is the lever of change, I will review the route as you tell me. thanks and salut

sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

I find changing up into 2nd gear as soon as possible rather than revving the bike hard in 1st gear before changing into 2nd gear makes the change smoother,

Chris.
Stratman

Post by Stratman »

As far as I'm aware they all do that to some degree. After time and experience you can make it less by sensing when to change but as Chris (Sirch) says, into 2nd as soon as you can and use the torque from there. I doubt you have a mechanical problem. Where are you out of interest?
Two bikes, still only four cylinders!

AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

sirch345 wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:20 pm I find changing up into 2nd gear as soon as possible rather than revving the bike hard in 1st gear before changing into 2nd gear makes the change smoother,

Chris.
agree. it is almost impossible to make a silent change from 1st to 2nd ... it is always a bit mechanical on that gear, so do it at lower revs and use the torque, then thrash the life out of the other gears
AMcQ
podman

Post by podman »

If you've been used to a Suzuki box, that clunk from first to second does seem a bit long & brutal but it appears they all do that Sir..