Bike not starting

General Bike chat
daz350

Bike not starting

Post by daz350 »

Looks like ive got to take my bike apart filled up the tank on wednesday now it wont start.Going to take the fuel tank off and drain the petrol and refill it
MacV2

Re: Bike not starting

Post by MacV2 »

daz350 wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:23 am Looks like ive got to take my bike apart filled up the tank on wednesday now it wont start.Going to take the fuel tank off and drain the petrol and refill it
Before you do that, look at other things first.

Is the ingnition coming on ? Lights on dash ect...

When you press starter what happens ? Not turning over, turning over but not firing ?

Not turning over at all then check battery volts or maybe battery has lost a cell & not enough ommmph to fire it up...

Turning over but not firing, vac line has come off, petcock failed, fule fillter in tank blocked...

Unlikely that just changing the fule will have an effect...unless you have filled it with deisle...but then you wouldnt have got home from the petrol station.
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
daz350

Post by daz350 »

Its turning over and trying to start so got spark it boggs down when you try to rev it
daz350

Post by daz350 »

Is it ok to clean the air filter with an air line
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

daz350 wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:09 am Is it ok to clean the air filter with an air line
Yep...blow through from the bottom.
daz350

Post by daz350 »

It is starting on full choke but you can hear it missing i fitted new plugs in it.Might try cleaning carbs out next
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

That's fuel starvation.

Did you fill it with the tank on the bike?
It seems a daft question but the vac tap can be reconnected wrongly if you had the tank off.

Tell us what you did, it's easier to diagnose.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Sounds like a case of overfilling with fuel to me.
==============================Enter the Darkside
cheekykev

Post by cheekykev »

Has it been standing, coz it sounds like a clogged pilot jet to me, I've just had the same thing with the bike I bought recently.
Take the carbs off, clean them, take the pilot jets out clean and blow them with an air line, Also make sure the floats are moving correctly.
Like what you do
Do what you like
He who wonders isn't always lost
fatfreddy000

Post by fatfreddy000 »

VTRDark wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:45 pm Sounds like a case of overfilling with fuel to me.
I've filled up to the brim a couple of times to find a few miles down the road she starts spluttering and backfiring then lunges about on 1 cylinder before cutting out.
Both times a quick opening and closing of the fuel tap instantly cured this.
I guess there's a breather high up in there somewhere that can get submerged and result in a vacuum and fuel starvation..
“If all insects on Earth disappeared, within 50 years all life on Earth would end. If all human beings disappeared from the Earth, within 50 years all forms of life would flourish.” Biologist Jonas Salk
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Filler cap breather. It's possible that the fuel in the full tank has expanded blocking the breather. It's also worth checking the condition of the filler cap.. Maybe remove it and clean any grime built up under and around the rim. You can poke a wire down the hole too then and make sure it not blocked with grime. It's usually more of an issue in the summer or in warmer climates.

http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=17803

http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... fde7cf17b6
==============================Enter the Darkside
daz350

Post by daz350 »

Thanks for the help got it running.Rear spark plug was knackered looked older than the front one and not a lot of the electrod left.I forgot to put the vacumm hose back on :oops:
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

daz350 wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 12:40 pm Thanks for the help got it running.Rear spark plug was knackered looked older than the front one and not a lot of the electrod left.I forgot to put the vacumm hose back on :oops:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Your not the first & deff wont be the last... the normal thing is connecting it to the bottom spigot & wondering why it wont start... :roll: