It's alive!

General Bike chat
mdb

It's alive!

Post by mdb »

Hello,
I have finally got the bike running and even better it is running quite nicely. Dynojet 170 jets with needles on 4th slot seem to be working well. When I went to adjust the chain I noted that it is right on the limit. I can feel the sprocket picking at it slightly on take off. What is the general consensus concerning chains and sprockets?
Please bear in mind that I am currenly skint so am looking at best bang for my buck. I may resort to secondhand Fleabay sprockets and a new chain.

Typically the weather has turned now I am ready to go.
Safe riding one and all,
Mark
Last edited by mdb on Fri May 04, 2018 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kev L

Re: It's alive!

Post by Kev L »

Congratulations on getting the bike running mate, well done.
:thumbup:
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Yes well done in getting your bike running quite nicely, it's very satisfying when you get to that stage :thumbup:

The consensus on new chain and sprockets are cheap kits won't last,

Chris.
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Get a quality new heavy duty DID X'ring chain & sprocket set - Not something to skimp on as it's got to reliably handle 100 torquey horsies. approx £130. and check cush drive rubbers also Old worn sprockets with new chain will lessen its life and efficiency.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
mdb

Post by mdb »

OK. I have raided the kids piggy banks and sold a kidney which has enabled me to order a D.I.D VX530 X-Ring Chain with JT sprockets from Hunters Motorcycles. I intend to get it rivetted off the bike and then fit it like an endless chain.

When replacing the front sprocket would blue threadlock be OK? (Cos I've got some of that)

Thanks for the good advice lads. :thumbup:
Mark
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Dinner tonight...

Just install the drive sprocket and washer, and tighten up the bolt with a torque wrench up to spec 50odd Nm off the top of head.

Hint a bit of wood between the spokes so it locks the wheel up...

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=18025
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
mdb

Post by mdb »

Rear end cleaned and waiting delivery of the new chain and sprockets. The more I clean, the more little problems I find. The forks could do with a refurb as they have pitting on the chrome. (10 owner bike). :?
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

mdb wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 10:26 pm Rear end cleaned and waiting delivery of the new chain and sprockets. The more I clean, the more little problems I find. The forks could do with a refurb as they have pitting on the chrome. (10 owner bike). :?
If the pitting on the fork stanchions is above the travel area of the fork seals and dust seals, it's not an immediate problem,

Chris.
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

mdb i got your msg on facecake and have PM,D you.. :D
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
mdb

Post by mdb »

Chain fitted, loobman fitted, took it for an MOT today and it sailed through. First proper ride on the VTR and I like it. I can now proceed to alter it a little for my height and also fit Fabiostars fettled Firestorm forks.
I thought a little bit of alliteration was due on the site.
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

mdb wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 1:49 pm Chain fitted, loobman fitted, took it for an MOT today and it sailed through. First proper ride on the VTR and I like it. I can now proceed to alter it a little for my height and also fit Fabiostars fettled Firestorm forks.
I thought a little bit of alliteration was due on the site.
they should be landing with you shortly :thumbup: :thumbup:
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

Did the forks arrive ok??
mdb

Post by mdb »

fabiostar wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 11:23 pm Did the forks arrive ok??
Yes. Sorry, I meant to contact you through FB. I haven't unwrapped them yet. I will do that tomorrow but there wasn't any damage to the packing. I have been very busy this weekend but manged to get a little riding in. The more I ride it the more I like it. Did summat stupid though. Hadn't screwed down the brake master cylinder. I was lightly spraying the tank, inside screen and my leather and helmet with brake fluid. I could smell it on the way home. DOH! No harm done but I will recheck everything I did tomorrow in case there are any more senior moments.
:thumbup:
mdb

Post by mdb »

fabiostar wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 11:23 pm Did the forks arrive ok??
Unpacked them today. That's pretty sticky tape you used, it pulled some of the fork lowers paint off. Ho hum, life is hard. :wink: Unsure when I will fit them as I am really busy for the next few weeks and I'd rather ride than spanner. So cheers Rob. :beer: