2001 sp1 intermittent starter

General Bike chat
Tezzer

2001 sp1 intermittent starter

Post by Tezzer »

Hi there
New to this forum so bear with me!
I've got a 2001 vtr sp1 with an intermittent starting problem which occurs quite often now. Started the bike up Sunday morning, fine, afternoon press the starter, nothing. Battery has been on the optimate all winter and was new last year. Plenty of juice there, lights work etc. But not even a click from the solenoid. Don't know where to start. Help would be appreciated. Thanks everyone.
Tezzer.
jchesshyre

Re: 2001 sp1 intermittent starter

Post by jchesshyre »

Probably the first thing to check is the starter button itself. Try giving it a clean with contact cleaner and check its continuity with a multimeter.
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

Does the fuel pump prime?
If so, I'm thinking side stand switch or neutral. There is also a switch on the clutch lever but that only comes into play if the ecu thinks the bike is in gear.
If the pump doesn't prime then I would scrape the battery terminals and retighten the contacts and also check the kill switch.

Pete.l
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

IIRC didn't the late benny hedges have an issue with his fuel pump and a wiring contact by the battery. :think:
==============================Enter the Darkside
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Also check the tilt switch, make sure it isnt loose on its bracket and the wiring connector contacts are clean.
Loose battery contacts give you an fi warning light, usually.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
mags@port

Post by mags@port »

Check the main earth to the engine, clean it up and if any contact grease use a dab. Same with main cable to starter.
Break it, mend it, mod it, thrash it. If it's made then it's bettered by beer and goggles. Me bikes had Kwak ZZR, Suzuki TL1000s, Yama R1, Aprilia RSV. Now have VTR, Honda CB750 hand built brat/trickster, Yama XS750 and wee old Vespa.