How to sit on the Firestorm (LOL)

General Bike chat
kawa

Re: How to sit on the Firestorm (LOL)

Post by kawa »

Dear sir or should I say PILOT I am the same build as you and have a wide experience of smaller bikes particularly 2 strokes an 400cc v4s.
The clutch is very grabby and when revved a !on and off feeling is very disconcerting, I agree,.
This bike is best used with revs and slipping the clutch under 30mph and I do realise this is a little worrying but it does hide the on/off grabby clutch as I have also found from the beginning of owning this this Monster.
I was also bewildered by the clutch as if revved the clutch grabbed and then seemed to let go! I have compromised my riding by slipping the clutch at pull off and revs then selected second and gunned it:)
This Beast will not tolerate slow speed:/
I love it but the clutch has to be bled to appreciate the launch control:? Practice slipping the clutch and power.
8541Hawk

Post by 8541Hawk »

A few comments for this thread....
Riding position.... Yes for most sport riding you want to be right up on the tank.
Not only does it help plant the front end it also helps keep things from getting painful under hard braking. :wink:
It also helps with gripping the bike with your knees and keeping the weight off your wrists as the bars are there to steer with not hold you up :thumbup:

The fuel mileage thing, if you are not getting in the 30-40mpg range my first thought would be the bike has been "jetted" and is running way too rich.

Finally the slipping the clutch topic.
My tip for new VTR riders is.....don't even try. It will never "slip" like a I4 or small displacement bike.
While you ride it much the same, find the engagement point then let it out while adding throttle, the difference is there is no "slipping" you just motor away.
When doing the first bike mag tests, here in the US, the best bike drag racers in SoCal commented that the 1\4 mile times would have been faster but it is impossible to slip the clutch. 8)
Loud pipes don't save lives, knowing how to ride your bike will save your life.
VTRsquid

Post by VTRsquid »

Yeah whats the deal with the clutch. It gets grabby when you least expect it. 5 times its good 6th time tries to throw me. Can this be remedied with different plates, or new brake fluid or a braided cable maybe?
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Hoof it into gear and use the torque...
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
8541Hawk

Post by 8541Hawk »

Like I said, don't even try to slip it....just let out the clutch and twist the throttle.... a stock VTR should be making close enough to call it 50 ft\lbs of torque @ 3K RPM (sorry for the 'Merican units :wink: )
So there is no need to slip the clutch and if you try the 270-450 firing order will make your life unpleasant. :plainsmile

In the over 20yrs I've been running a VTR no one has really come up with a way to make the clutch work like you guys are wishing for.
The firing order and high torque at low RPM will make the clutch grab.

The only real down side is no drag race starts. Other than that it's a not really issue once you are used to it and honestly, when riding at a "brisk" pace, I only use the clutch to down shift. :angel:

So as Wicky said..... all but dump the clutch and twist the throttle, she won't stall, just don't twist too hard or you'll find the front end in the air......save that for after you get used to the bike :thumbup:
Loud pipes don't save lives, knowing how to ride your bike will save your life.
VTRsquid

Post by VTRsquid »

yeah cheers guys. i kind developed the habit from dirt bikes and long geared road bikes. I like the extra control it offers and to be able to pull off 2nd instead of 1st around tight roundabouts or whatnot. Ill just have to adjust my habits i guess. Its a shame there isnt a simple fix for it though, seems not right. Its good most of the time but every other time it just says nup, f*ck you.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

I also gave up on the clutch grab issue, tried changing every part but no joy. They can still nail high elevens on a quarter mile drag strip though, not too shabby for an old bike.
As said, get the clutch home and use the torque.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
kawa

Post by kawa »

I would just like to say I did a roll on power wheelie today and nearly BROKE MY KNOB lol the petrol tank takes no prisoners :redface
The GRABBY clutch is a characteristic of this machine i`m afraid BUT!
If you want big speed pull offs then listen to me.
Before the pull off don`t rev the engine,just engage the clutch and progressively/aggressively accelerate and short shift as soon as possible this prevents the front lifting and damaging your KNOB on the tank as the front wheel lifts and lands :D