Oulton Park

General Bike chat
Beef

Oulton Park

Post by Beef »

I just had 10 days in Europe honing around the Dolomites/Black Forest and other lovely places on my Multistrada, got home Sunday to head away on Monday for 2 days on my Storm around Oulton Park!

What a track, I absolutely loved the circuit......took some learning-apparently I have the memory of a goldfish! :lol:

Anyway, I appreciate a 2013 Multi totally outclasses my 20 yr old Storm but to say it was hard work was an understatement! I changed the springs and put the 7.5wt oil in - didn't do anything else as I just didn't have the time.

I have no issue of being outclassed by newer bikes and better riders, what I do feel really let 'MY ABILITIES' down was my lack of confidence with the brakes. I really couldn't brake as late and as hard as I would have liked because they just felt so wooden(?) Yes, they stopped, no they aren't spongey - they just lack so much feel, obviously I have been spoilt with the Duc's brakes and I know the Storm would never be as good (standard) but they didn't feel as good as they probably could be.
What pads do people recommend, I currently have EBC pads fitted which seem great on my Buell and Duc.
I chatted to someone (who visits here - sorry forgot your name!) He did say that the lower pistons can become lazy, so perhaps a good overhaul of the calipers + new fluid might improve them, what's people's thoughts?
Apart from being down on power to the modern stuff, around the track the engine was great - I pretty much only used 3 gears, the drive out of the corners was grin splitting, and on Knickerbrook before Clay Hill I could turn in very late and get on the power and undertake a S1000RR (nearly every session!) which was warp speed in a straight line but the pilot was less talented than myself in the corners so was holding me up!

I would love to throw money at this bike, just because I like to be different, but with my S1 Buell, Duc & a house which seems to hoover all my money, what I want and what can happen are two totally different things! :?
AMCQ46

Re: Oulton Park

Post by AMCQ46 »

Sounds like a fun few days on the bike ... not done Oulton yet, but its on my list.

as for your brakes ...

I always hated the std brakes although many say they are OK. I stripped and cleaned the std calipers, changed the hoses, tried EBC HH pads, fitted new seals ....... they were still mediocre!

so I swapped the calipers and master cyl to one off a CBR600 F4i , these have bigger pistons and with the matching master cylinder you will get a good improvement in brakes .. caliper upgrade thread

regarding pads, I don't like EBC HH, perhaps it is the zzzzzz noise, but they also don't have the same initial bite as stock Nissin or Brembo.
AMcQ
Beef

Post by Beef »

AMCQ46 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:07 pm Sounds like a fun few days on the bike ... not done Oulton yet, but its on my list.
It really was, technical but rewarding on the Storm using the torque :twisted:
AMCQ46 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:07 pm so I swapped the calipers and master cyl to one off a CBR600 F4i , these have bigger pistons and with the matching master cylinder you will get a good improvement in brakes .. caliper upgrade thread
Dammit - I searched nearly everything but caliper!! Thank you, I will see what I can find from a CBR600 F4i :thumbup: :thumbup:
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

+1 on the CBR600 F4i calipers. They made a huge difference for me (along with the master cylinder). Don't know what the pads are. My rear pads (now Brembo red sintered) only lasted 8000 miles but the fronts are the same second hand ones the calipers came with.

I've had the Storm on the track (Croft) and I concur with your comments about the engine. But, my brakes were superb, two fingers, soft brick wall.
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)
Beef

Post by Beef »

Guys, thanks - just squared myself away with a full set inc M/C from the states for £114 inc P&P & duty....lets hope they're as described 8)
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

The calipers or the forks need some small dremel work to make them fit.

Sent from my LLD-L31 using Tapatalk

"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

KermitLeFrog wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:02 pm The calipers or the forks need some small dremel work to make them fit.

Sent from my LLD-L31 using Tapatalk
And it makes them lighter!
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Beef

Post by Beef »

Thanks for the warning Kermit, luckily I have a Dremmel and I'm not afraid to use it :lol:
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

Beef wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:14 pm Thanks for the warning Kermit, luckily I have a Dremmel and I'm not afraid to use it :lol:
That's what I like to hear. A man with a tool who's not afraid to use it!
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

the blade/600 caliper upgrade is great on them.. i tried a few different pads on both mine and this may go against the grain but for track use the pads i liked the most ended up being the goldfren soft compound, not the ceramic ones but the soft compounds in the red packets.. once heated up they were far better than the EBC pads id tried.
i ended up using them in my brembos on the blue bike and you can put the rear wheel in the air :eek2
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
Beef

Post by Beef »

Sounds great Fabiostar - do you have a part number for them?
Beef

Post by Beef »

Brakes turned up yesterday, I'm looking forward to tinkering!
Need to sort Buell first as it failed it's MOT due to leaking fork seal (I didn't look beforehand! :whatever )
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

You'll love the brakes. Tried mine for the first time today and it's two fingers rear in the air good.
Beef

Post by Beef »

freeridenick wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:48 pm You'll love the brakes. Tried mine for the first time today and it's two fingers rear in the air good.
What are the part number for pads please freeridenick? I don't know what year bike my brakes come off - if that matters?
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

Beef wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:35 am
freeridenick wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:48 pm You'll love the brakes. Tried mine for the first time today and it's two fingers rear in the air good.
What are the part number for pads please freeridenick? I don't know what year bike my brakes come off - if that matters?
I have Ferodo CP1 pads I got from the PFM guy in IOM, great advice and service. I've got their cast iron discs so the CP1 works well. I don't think they are a road pad though. My calipers were AMCQ46's and he had Brembo red pads road pads but I don't know the part number. I've kept them to use with steel discs in the wet so I can have a look.

I can't fault Wal at The Stop Shop. Great advice and help even though he doesn't make the discs I have anymore.