2004 Vtr1000 firestorm battery issue

General Bike chat
tony.mon

Re: 2004 Vtr1000 firestorm battery issue

Post by tony.mon »

Csimmo wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:09 pm
copper grease in the cap until I buy some red rubber grease,
The lead has to be insulated from the motor casing, so maybe copper grease isn't the best idea, with copper being such a good conductor and all.....
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

I agree.
A bit of Vaseline is as good as anything. I always like to keep some to hand. It has all sorts of uses

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

Pete.L wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:21 am I agree.
A bit of Vaseline is as good as anything. I always like to keep some to hand. It has all sorts of usesImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
i wish you'd told me this in devon……... :eek2 :eek2 :eek2
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

High melting point grease is probably the best option, Vaseline will melt and run out in traffic from the heat of the motor, I would have thought.

Or possibly chain wax, that might work. But I haven't tried it myself.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

I use a moly grease to lube the starter motor connection, every 6 months it needs to be checked and added to . corroded connections are the number one failure for starter motors.
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
Csimmo

Post by Csimmo »

Well I think the new battery has done the trick, started first time again this afternoon, I replaced the oil and filter this morning and added some zx1, I also replaced the plugs, the old front plug was approximately 1 whole turn loose and undid it with my fingers!!! Not sure if it wasn't tightened properly to begin with or just worked its way loose....

, I've also removed and cleaned both front brake calipers, the airfilter is also quite grubby which I will order and replace this week , whilst removing the airfilter the carb inlets are slightly grubby if I'm been picky , to save taking the whole carb off. Will I be able to spray carb cleaner directly in and around the inlet and slides ? ,

Next on the list on payday is to get the wheels shot blasted and powder coated and to have the seat recovered as standard as it has a slight nick in fabric at the base.... Not sure of the cost yet to do this. Ohh and might order some Oxford hotgrips....

Craig
E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

MacV2 wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:30 pmThe light on perm is a USA thing if the the switch gear is without the option to switch the light off is the give away. US bikes run with the headlight on dipped permanatly. Unfortunatly you cant retro fit a UK switch as the plug is different.
Mac, actually you can, and its not overly hard.
I swapped my US bike to the EU control some years back as I wanted the off position.

You just have to de pin both old and new connectors make some changes and im forgetting exactly what right now,,. but there was one other wiring change.

It took me a few hours to do over all, but 80% of that was doing a pin out of both controls and functions

Ahh, found my old post
https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/m ... hts-32695/
It would just be the reverse to go EU to US left side switch assembly
Marquez Motorcycle Services
Solutions to recurring maintenance
Race/Adventure ride event prep
Post event services

Total Rider
Your path to a TX motorcycle license
And advanced Rider training