Dipping VS Painting?

General Bike chat
bobbler

Dipping VS Painting?

Post by bobbler »

I've been toying with the idea of smartening up the VTR over the winter whilst it won't be getting ridden. The fairings have always looked like they could do with a sand, repair and repaint but that got me thinking about getting them dipped instead. I'm clueless as to the pros and cons of each process but I keep seeing new dipping companies popping up advertising so I'm guessing they must be getting more affordable. I'm thinking of keeping the original colour since black is fastest anyway but also looking for quality finish and longevity if possible.

Does anyone have any pros and cons to dipping vs painting?
MacV2

Re: Dipping VS Painting?

Post by MacV2 »

bobbler wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:23 am I've been toying with the idea of smartening up the VTR over the winter whilst it won't be getting ridden. The fairings have always looked like they could do with a sand, repair and repaint but that got me thinking about getting them dipped instead. I'm clueless as to the pros and cons of each process but I keep seeing new dipping companies popping up advertising so I'm guessing they must be getting more affordable. I'm thinking of keeping the original colour since black is fastest anyway but also looking for quality finish and longevity if possible.

Does anyone have any pros and cons to dipping vs painting?
Painting can be touched up if scratched...

Dipping can't...

It can be done but as for the longevity of it, the jurys still out on that one...I've got a bike that had been dipped but some muppet decided that coating the whole thing in underseal was a good idea... :lol: :lol:

Someone on here had there wheels dipped that looked ok...
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
bobbler

Re: Dipping VS Painting?

Post by bobbler »

I've seen a few wheels done and quite a lot of car parts like engine covers and interior parts which look good and putting down a design must be easier and cheaper than painting in layers. I do wonder how dipping would fare coming into daily contact with things like stones, gravel and general crap from the road though.