RST or Richa leathers?

General Bike chat
sirch345
Site Admin

RST or Richa leathers?

Post by sirch345 »

What's your opinion guy's on RST or Richa motorcycle leathers (two piece) :?: Or are you all textile fanatics now :)

Chris.
cheekykev

Re: RST or Richa leathers?

Post by cheekykev »

Neither of them, if you're looking for a 2 piece then I'd recommend Furygan leathers, they're well made and a true fit, rather then made for little skinny Japanise people.
Sportsbikeshop have a good stock.
If you're looking at 1 piece then in my opinion Arlen Ness leathers are the best
Re- textiles I look at it like this, if textile were the best they'd use them on the track.
Like what you do
Do what you like
He who wonders isn't always lost
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

I have some RST leather lowers and they seem OK. Thick leather, well made. I've never fallen off in them so can't make any other comment.

Pete's brother Graham was wearing leathers when he fell off in Wales and they split at the seam. Can't remember the brand but I should find out and avoid.

The only leathers I have really tested were mtm Manx leathers. Boy, did they slide well. No idea if they make them to the same quality now though.

I wouldn't follow the racers brands as I'm sure they don't wear the same stuff you can buy in the shops. But, I agree with Kev, textiles suck when it comes to abrasion resistance and I've seen the results from that.

So, all in all, a pointless post from me. I'll go and hide back under my stone now.
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

I was wearing textiles when I had my spill Oct 2016...The ribs & collor bone affair, faily low speed but both trews & jacket suffered small seem failures.

I had RST leather kecks on when I had my recent spill...The dislocation Fracture affair...& I can confirm the trews held up ok slight scuff no rips or failed seems...

Tried & tested... :thumbup: From me for RST.
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
grumpyfrog

Post by grumpyfrog »

Leather jacket and textiles on bottom worked great for me sliding down the road. A Ness jacket and Wolf bottoms. Both still in use.
Saying that now got Held textile jacket and fits great, water proof and plenty of options 're heat. Get what fits most important as internal skin burns when loose bloody hurt and take a bit to mend.
Don't hassle me
I'll get there at some time
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Out of those two I’d have richa , my one piece I got of the Greek like god (kevL) are very well made .
That reminds me I need to get them cleaned
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

last set of full leathers i had was a set of Lookwell jobs.. i jumped of while racing supermotos god knows how many times at they never ripped or split. brilliant leathers, not sure if they are even still made. and a fair few of the spills was on the tarmac sections but they held up.. (worse was a good 100mph on a KX500):thumbup:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

I crashed at 70 off of an FZR wearing MW leathers 2 piece and they show no signs of damage to this day.
Not tested my Ixon pulsar one piece, and hope to maintain that!
Shame Micky WILLIS passed away a few years ago from cancer and his company went with him. His leathers were/are superb.
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

cheekykev wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:16 pm Neither of them, if you're looking for a 2 piece then I'd recommend Furygan leathers, they're well made and a true fit, rather then made for little skinny Japanise people.
Sportsbikeshop have a good stock.
If you're looking at 1 piece then in my opinion Arlen Ness leathers are the best
Re- textiles I look at it like this, if textile were the best they'd use them on the track.
Thanks Kev for your advice :thumbup:
As much as I like the sound of Furygan (I have been having a read up on them since seeing your post) they really are going to be above my budget I think.

I feel the same about textiles as you Kev (sorry to anyone who likes or prefers them), I'm old skool and prefer leathers when it comes to protection on the bike.
KermitLeFrog wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:41 pm I have some RST leather lowers and they seem OK. Thick leather, well made. I've never fallen off in them so can't make any other comment.

Pete's brother Graham was wearing leathers when he fell off in Wales and they split at the seam. Can't remember the brand but I should find out and avoid.

The only leathers I have really tested were mtm Manx leathers. Boy, did they slide well. No idea if they make them to the same quality now though.

I wouldn't follow the racers brands as I'm sure they don't wear the same stuff you can buy in the shops. But, I agree with Kev, textiles suck when it comes to abrasion resistance and I've seen the results from that.

So, all in all, a pointless post from me. I'll go and hide back under my stone now.
Thanks Iain for your reply :thumbup:
May be Pete can tell us what leathers his brother was wearing that split, that would be good for us all to know.

I'm with you regarding what the racers wear. I bet their kit would cost a small fortune were it available to the general public and it must be tailor made to suit each individual rider I would imagine.

Not a pointless post :D
MacV2 wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:48 pm I was wearing textiles when I had my spill Oct 2016...The ribs & collor bone affair, faily low speed but both trews & jacket suffered small seem failures.

I had RST leather kecks on when I had my recent spill...The dislocation Fracture affair...& I can confirm the trews held up ok slight scuff no rips or failed seems...

Tried & tested... :thumbup: From me for RST.
Thanks for being our forum RST leathers tester Mac :wink:

Just try not to be testing anymore gear out for a very long time now :thumbup:

Thanks for your post Mac.
grumpyfrog wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:54 pm Leather jacket and textiles on bottom worked great for me sliding down the road. A Ness jacket and Wolf bottoms. Both still in use.
Saying that now got Held textile jacket and fits great, water proof and plenty of options 're heat. Get what fits most important as internal skin burns when loose bloody hurt and take a bit to mend.
A good point about getting something that fits properly :thumbup:

Thanks for your input G/Frog.
lloydie wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:36 am Out of those two I’d have richa , my one piece I got of the Greek like god (kevL) are very well made .
That reminds me I need to get them cleaned
Interesting that.
One of my brothers had Richa Textiles some years ago which started to come apart at the seams. May be they are better now, I realise that was not leathers. That sort of made me steer clear of that make.

Thanks for your reply Lloydie.
fabiostar wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:27 am last set of full leathers i had was a set of Lookwell jobs.. i jumped of while racing supermotos god knows how many times at they never ripped or split. brilliant leathers, not sure if they are even still made. and a fair few of the spills was on the tarmac sections but they held up.. (worse was a good 100mph on a KX500):thumbup:
I'm old enough to remember Lookwell leather too :lol:
It certainly sounds like you gave them a good workout Rob.
Kev L wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:50 am I crashed at 70 off of an FZR wearing MW leathers 2 piece and they show no signs of damage to this day.
Not tested my Ixon pulsar one piece, and hope to maintain that!
Shame Micky WILLIS passed away a few years ago from cancer and his company went with him. His leathers were/are superb.
Those MW leathers sound just the job, a shame they are not obtainable anymore Kev.

Thanks to all who took the time to reply :thumbup:
I now have some more options to think about and consider :D

Chris.
TaxiDriver

Post by TaxiDriver »

I bought a 2 piece set of Furygan Raptors,superb fit and looking online they should be around £800 but I asked a couple of dealers and got them for £480.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

TaxiDriver wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:40 am I bought a 2 piece set of Furygan Raptors,superb fit and looking online they should be around £800 but I asked a couple of dealers and got them for £480.
WOW that is some discount :thumbup:

I'd like to think I'd be that lucky :lol:

The best I've come across so far is £100 discount in total on RST Blade 2 leather jacket and trousers,

Chris.
TaxiDriver

Post by TaxiDriver »

Yea Chris, I asked a guy in Stoke he said no problem but then I asked a local shop if they would match it.
He even beat it by a tenner too,always worth asking around.
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

sirch345 wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:14 pm
KermitLeFrog wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:41 pm I have some RST leather lowers and they seem OK. Thick leather, well made. I've never fallen off in them so can't make any other comment.

The only leathers I have really tested were mtm Manx leathers. Boy, did they slide well. No idea if they make them to the same quality now
Thanks Iain for your reply :thumbup:
May be Pete can tell us what leathers his brother was wearing that split, that would be good for us all to know.

I'm with you regarding what the racers wear. I bet their kit would cost a small fortune were it available to the general public and it must be tailor made to suit each individual rider I would imagine.

Not a pointless post :D

Chris.
I don’t think Graham’s leathers were a fair test to be honest. They were very old and should have been changed years ago.
Or maybe that’s the lesson learned and we should replace our kit periodically and not just keep wearing it even if we’ve looked after it and not “tested it”Image

I was in the same situation as you Chris. I needed some leathers this summer and didn’t know what what was still good value and reasonable price and quality.
I tried on shed loads of brands. In the end I realised that a lot of the stuff out there is just a poor fit and unless money is no object and you can have a custom fit made your best option is to trade off comfort and quality and see where you end up.
I had even tried on some of the most expensive brands.
I ended up with RST and BKS as two of the best fitting comfiest fitting off the peg leathers. The leather feels pretty reasonable and hopefully the stitching will do its job.
Happy huntingImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

The trouble is that leathers are the opposite of tyres, in that your old ones always fit better, feel more comfortable and you are used to them.
Even good new ones are stiff and feel that they're inflexible at first, until you bed them in a bit.

Give them a while and they feel like home, and if you have a dog, smell like home too....

New tyres, on the other hand, always feel superb when compared to the old ones, and always will.

Oh, and I have a Richa two piece and it fits, is comfy and was reasonably cheap. Haven't had a big off since buying them, so can't really comment on stitching after a tumble.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

TaxiDriver wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:50 am Yea Chris, I asked a guy in Stoke he said no problem but then I asked a local shop if they would match it.
He even beat it by a tenner too,always worth asking around.
I'm still amazed at how well you did :D

Chris.