Dashboard update

General Bike chat
JaegerLeo

Dashboard update

Post by JaegerLeo »

Hello there! So I recently bought a 1998 Firestorm, I was wondering if it is possible to update the old analogue dashboard with the digital one, if yes, will I get a real fuel measure? Thanks in advance!
Wicky

Re: Dashboard update

Post by Wicky »

Greetings

Have a search for 'late model fuel gauge'

http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... a8#p365942
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

JaegerLeo wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:41 am Hello there! So I recently bought a 1998 Firestorm, I was wondering if it is possible to update the old analogue dashboard with the digital one, if yes, will I get a real fuel measure? Thanks in advance!
Take a seat on a later model VTR and take a close look at the speedo and numbers with your helmet on, better even if you can take it for a spin.

I have had both early and later model VTRs now.....the speedo portion of the later cluster is two small, crowed for my preference...Im on the fence now at swapping my 2002 to the older cluster
Marquez Motorcycle Services
Solutions to recurring maintenance
Race/Adventure ride event prep
Post event services

Total Rider
Your path to a TX motorcycle license
And advanced Rider training
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Yep the later clocks can be made to work, so you get the better digital portion, 2x trip, clock, temp & fule gauge...But the speedo is far to small on the numbers...

With my dodgy eyesight reading whilst on the go can be an issue...
Start.jpg
However if you want to throw some cash at it aftermarket jobies like Koso can be made to work...
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
felix barrao

Post by felix barrao »

For early models, ( like my 97 model) the best fuel gauge is to reset the odometer to 0 when you fill the tank.
After this, in my case I have 160 km until the light turn on. Depending on your driving, etc this number may vary, but not too much.
Stratman

Post by Stratman »

felix barrao wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:33 am For early models, ( like my 97 model) the best fuel gauge is to reset the odometer to 0 when you fill the tank.
After this, in my case I have 160 km until the light turn on. Depending on your driving, etc this number may vary, but not too much.
Exactly what I have done these last 18 years! :lol:
Two bikes, still only four cylinders!

E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

MacV2 wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:14 pm Yep the later clocks can be made to work, so you get the better digital portion, 2x trip, clock, temp & fule gauge...But the speedo is far to small on the numbers...

With my dodgy eyesight reading whilst on the go can be an issue...

Start.jpg

However if you want to throw some cash at it aftermarket jobies like Koso can be made to work...
Having used both early and late gauges on both of my VTRs...I settled on the later version with some extra LED lighting in the housing on the speedo side, and a decal overlay on the outside of the speedo with red "Tick marks" for three common speeds I need to track...

I installed and tried a 3 digit digital speedo read out driven off a wheel sensor... but the read out looked too much like what it was....an add on, out of place and it looked dodgy to me...

As I have my phone in a cradle on top of the triple clamp..if speed needs to be monitored closely, I just fire up a GPS speed app and use it to supplement the other speedo
Marquez Motorcycle Services
Solutions to recurring maintenance
Race/Adventure ride event prep
Post event services

Total Rider
Your path to a TX motorcycle license
And advanced Rider training