Aprilia Tuono 1000 V2 ?????????

General Bike chat
cheekykev

Aprilia Tuono 1000 V2 ?????????

Post by cheekykev »

Toying with the idea of having a bit of a change and getting an Aprilia Tuono 1000 V2 not a V4.
Don't worry I'm not getting rid of the Storms.
So I'm just wondering if anyone on here has any knowledge or tips on the pros and cons on them.
I'm looking for a late V2, I think they stopped making them in 2008, they look well built with some bl**dy good equipment on them regarding forks, suspension, brakes etc, are they similar to a Storm to ride but more refined ? any help would be much appreciated :thumbup:
Like what you do
Do what you like
He who wonders isn't always lost
fabiostar

Re: Aprilia Tuono 1000 V2 ?????????

Post by fabiostar »

lol ask my mate steve who went to the scotland trip about them.. great bikes, look great, ride great,sound great. but what a fuking nightmare if the ecu goes on them, and they do, iv heard a few dong it, mind you they are cheap to replace. at £2050 :eek2 :eek2 :eek2 :eek2 :eek2 :eek2 for an ECU.....
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

Don't know anything about them but the aprilia forum is a great resource. Like all fora they contain tales of woe but that's because it's mainly people with problems post the most. Budd should be able to give you some info.

Sent from my LLD-L31 using Tapatalk

"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)
popkat

Post by popkat »

I've had some Aprilia's, one was a 2008 Tuono Factory.
clocks mist up and the mist covers the speed, rear light mists up, rear indicators fill with water.
you must keep the battery well charged as if it's low and the motor turns slow it can damage the sprag/starter clutch
Brown connector, this is between the reg/rec and generator, they melt and ruin the charging system, get rid of the connector and hard wire (some of them have 2 connectors)
Generators do fail, pain in the 4rse to change as you can't thread the wires through, cut off wires at reg/rec side, solder temporary longer wires on then pull through, cut off leaving temporary wire in place then solder new wires and pull back through, like i said pain in the 4rse.
Imobilisers can fail causing big current drain, bike will still work but battery will keep going flat. new imobilizer comes with new lockset.
some of the connectors can get corroded, some of the wiring is can bus i think ?, can lead to odd misfires and cutting out.
clutch slave cylinder goes and fluid level drops, Oberon replacement about £100, clutch fluid always turns black too.

On standard gearing they are ok but long geared (done that way to pass drive by noise limits) most people put a smaller front sprocket on which is how Aprilia intended it, trouble is they are then a very single minded machine, like to go mad everywhere and not so good if you want a lazy ride. The engine is very different to a storm, it's revvy and likes to be up in the revs, they get very lumpy low down.

In saying all that I enjoyed owning it and riding it, I likened it to a supermoto on steroids, but didn't find it an all round machine. I have known others that love them and don't find them like i did, one I know of has been all over touring spain and Ireland this year.

Handling was brilliant, had some of my most memorable rides on that Tuono, couldn't fault the way it went round corners.

There were other build quality issues as well that never got sorted while I owned it.

They have a big following so any issues there are known fixes for.

http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
cheekykev

Post by cheekykev »

Thanks for that popkat, lots of info there, the ride and handling sounds more like a sit up and beg SP2 rather than a Storm :lol:
Like what you do
Do what you like
He who wonders isn't always lost
popkat

Post by popkat »

Yes closer to an SP2 than a storm for sure, they do have a different character though.

My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

They have a lot more stomp than a storm , if I was to get another v2 I’d have one ,
They have plastic tanks that swell if left of the bike for too long ,
The rear brake is pointless unless you fit rear sets that relocate the rear master cylinder ,
If you get one do a full strip and rebuild using lots of lube .
popkat

Post by popkat »

lloydie wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:49 am They have a lot more stomp than a storm , if I was to get another v2 I’d have one ,
They have plastic tanks that swell if left of the bike for too long ,
The rear brake is pointless unless you fit rear sets that relocate the rear master cylinder ,
If you get one do a full strip and rebuild using lots of lube .

Forgot to mention the fuel tanks, I had a 2005 mille (same tank) in earlier this year, when I undid the tank bolts it popped and was very difficult to lift, once up the mounting holes were over the top yoke, it was never going back on like that, fortunately the owner had another tank which had sat empty and fitted well.
it'be been said if you put the tank in the fridge it will shrink back down again, I've not got a fridge that big, doubt many have.

Also the paint bubbles from inside to out, it will only get worse with E10 fuel coming before long.