Track days 2019

General Bike chat
KermitLeFrog

Track days 2019

Post by KermitLeFrog »

I intend to do some track days in 2019. Using the Storm. I'll give it a fettle over the winter and take a few unneeded bits off but still keep it MOT worthy. Is anyone interested in some company? Northern tracks would be preferred but I'm going to be happy to travel. Let me know if you are interested.
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)
freeridenick

Re: Track days 2019

Post by freeridenick »

I'll be doing a few.
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

Super. Let me know closer to the time.
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

i want to do a few more this year, so I might tag along :thumbup:
AMcQ
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

Preferred tracks?
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

KermitLeFrog wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:09 am Preferred tracks?
Same as you plus Midlands tracks:
Donington; Mallory; Oulton; Anglesey; Croft; Cadwell. I fancy Silverstone but it's a chuffing long way for the Stowe circuit, the GP circuit is long and the other one is hardly run. Castle Combe could be an option too.
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

I love the idea of doing Cadwell again, such a fun circuit. Never done Donington or Anglesea. I rather like Brands as well. A hike for me but I have family and friends down there. I'm not too bothered with Silverstone.
popkat

Post by popkat »

Might be doing a couple this year, no plans for circuits or dates yet. I will be doing 4 race meetings, wanted to do full season but one weekend is not possible for me so only doing selected rounds.

http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
StuartWags

Post by StuartWags »

Cadwell will be on the cards for me. Possibly Mallory. But no Rockingham. That was always a good evening session for me, being 45 mins from work
grumpyfrog

Post by grumpyfrog »

I am ashamed to admit that I have never ever ever done a track day.
I had one promissed to me 5 years ago but never got round to it.
Will need to see if they have one for, "opp's get the feck out of my way" novices without you mad nutters scaring the sh1t out of me like you do on the roads..
Don't hassle me
I'll get there at some time
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

grumpyfrog wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:07 pm I am ashamed to admit that I have never ever ever done a track day.
I had one promissed to me 5 years ago but never got round to it.
Will need to see if they have one for, "opp's get the feck out of my way" novices without you mad nutters scaring the sh1t out of me like you do on the roads..
Stuart, it's not just about outright speed or quick lap times, it's about exploring what the bike can do when you don't have to worry about cagers on the roads coming the wrong way and nasty bits of road furniture. Each lap is the same bit of tarmac and you can experiment, at your own pace.

I only did one day this year, at Croft. It's a short easy track to learn with no tricky elevation changes but it has a nice mixture of different speed corners. I was in the beginners group and you would have blown 90% of them away. Don't judge yourself against the like of the McQs, you are certainly slower than them but against the average road rider in a lower group on a track day you would be a star. Smooth consistent lines, you look good on the road and would look good on a track. Just don't mix it with the intermediates and advanced.

It's great fun!
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Agreed, you won't be one of those getting in people's way so start with the slow group and see how you go.
It's the same as a forum Rideout, there's no pressure to go faster than you're comfortable with but you'll be surprised at how many seconds quicker you are as you go through the day.
And if one of the instructors tells you to move up a group, it's great for your ego....even if you end up slowest of the inters....
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
grumpyfrog

Post by grumpyfrog »

Mint, must get it sorted out.
Don't hassle me
I'll get there at some time
StuartWags

Post by StuartWags »

I agree. For me it is a ride without the usual road worries. A release to just think about you and your riding. Lap time don't matter, you will not be the fastest. The road bike only sessions are a good point of entry as they tend to be a bit more of an introduction. But you will learn more on a track day.

Me in inters track day, getting a bit bogged down in traffic and hustling an 07 blade with loads more horses than me. Exit pits at 3.00 mins

Beef

Post by Beef »

I will be doing some, loved Oulton Park, seemed to suit the Storm well. 8)